jmbig

42SL417U - Inconsistent Sound Issue

I'll start by saying that this LED model (42SL417U) has a great picture and the wireless works great.  My issue is the sound, and not the typical complaint  of poor sound in LCD tvs due to tiny tinny-sounding speakers. 

My complaint is that the sound changes drasticallty when the Audyssey Dynamic Volume is set to Low or High. The manual states that "This feature provides a consistent sound volume between television programs, commercials, and between the loud and soft passages of movies."  However, it is my experience that it does nearly the opposite and maintains an very inconsistent volume.  When a commercial comes on, the sound may drop away to almost nothing and then build back up during the next 10-15 seconds and then drop again for the next commercial, again rising after a short time period.  That's not what really irks me, it's when the show comes back on the sound seems to take a dive again and is only audible after waiting 10-15 seconds, or turning the sound up much higher.  This also occurs during a show at times and it extremely aggravating.  As a result I have turned off the Dynamic Volume, but then I have to turn the sound level up to 50 or so just to get a normal volume. 

I called Toshiba support and listened patiently to the script read condescendingly about how quality sound isn't to be expected from lcd tv speakers, etc.  She also walked me through changing very basic settings (as if I wasn't well aware of how to do that).  I finally quoted the above passage from the manual to her and she admitted that I may need a technician to pay a visit.  Of course, she couldn't make an appointment then and I now have to call back to speak to a case manager, who I'm sure will put up a fight about sending someone out.  My problem is that I want to know if the tv is defective, or if it is just Toshiba's poor audio functionality.  I plan to add a soundbar at some point, but I want to make sure the tv is not defective.   

I have long been a supporter of Toshiba products, but this may be a turning point for me.  I would like to know if anyone else has has similar experiences, with this, or other models.  Thanks. 

stugiv

Re: 42SL417U - Inconsistent Sound Issue

Hey, I think I'm noticing the same problem. I've only had the TV about a week, so I'm still trying to learn the settings.

I turned Dynamic Volume OFF pretty soon after setting up my TV & I have Dynamic Range Control set to ON.  I notice that the volume seems low, particularly after turning the TV on & I've found that toggling Dynamic Range Control to OFF & then back ON bumps the volume back up. I'm thinking that perhaps the TV needs a software update for these problems. I was just playing with the picture settings as I'm writing this & I noticed that cycling through the Picture Mode options changed how the audio sounds.  Odd.

I was disappointed at the poor sound quality when I first turned on the TV after switching from a wide screen CRT, but I can understand that there's just not enough case to create any resonance for bass & the rear facing speakers don't help volume. I don't fault Toshiba for this, it's a limitation of the design if you want a thin TV.

I also noticed the brightness seemed to be constantly adjusting, so I turned off the Dynalight setting which seems to have stopped that.

I'm considering adding some external speakers, but I don't feel like forking out the dough for a full home theater system & I'm not crazy about needing another remove just for volume.

pj2011

I have the sound issues as well along with intermit picture while watching HD channels.   it especially happens when I tune from a non-HD station to a HD station.   i was also reading other messages with my same issue for other Toshiba TVs.  I will be calling Toshiba tomorrow morning as they are not open today it being a holiday.

wheels231

I have the 46" version and and am having the exact same  issue, the retailer and cable company have been unable to determine the cause or solution.  My sound level drops down  sometimes when I use the cable remote to view the channel guide.  help.

jmbig

Here's an update.  I gave up on the Toshiba (you've gotta love Amazon returns) and bought a Sharp Aquos Quattron 46" LED.  This tv has no such sound issues and the picture is even better than the Toshiba.  My only complaint is typical of LCD tvs and is the sound in general, but it is only because when watching a dvd the sound has to be turned up almost to max.  I purchased a Visio sound bar and a remote extender so that if I put the sound bar in front of the tv and block the tv remote receiver, the remote still works.  Much improvement with fewer wires than a home theater system.  

MIB
MIB

I had the same problem.  I updated the firmware and it disappeared.

alicest

I'm also experiencing with low audio.  Every time i turn on the tv, I have to go to Menu, select Sound & turn off the Sound Dynamic then back On to have better volume.  I've called Toshiba support-help line & have received some technical support but I still have to go to menu & to Sound to turn back the sound.  Technical support individual recommended i may need to purchase external sound system or speakers.  I think Toshiba Manufacture company should provide us with some discounts in purchasing the above items.  Other name brands appear to be better.

marlene444

I have a 42WL862b 3d Toshiba tv purchased last July and have had low sound since.Toshiba sent a local engineer who told me this was to be expected as the set is so thin it cannot support a second sound controller. I paid £750 for it and nothing was said at Currys about the set having a sound issue.Aparently there would be no sense buying a sound bar without  speakers which would bring the outlay up by another £250.

I am a 70 year old pensioner with little knowledge of  TV sets but I do realise that I have been conned.

Peter

marlene444, it sounds like that isn't a model from Toshiba USA, but this is the site for Toshiba USA. However, I did want to say that I think while all our TVs have satisfactory sound, a sound system will usually give better quality and higher volume. If you'd like better sound on your TV, a sound bar should help a great deal. You may want to contact Toshiba Europe for more information if your model is European.

- Peter
Chrissi

The sound bar that Best Buy said I needed cost almost as much as the TV.

Shame on Toshiba. The next TV will not be that brand, although we have had not problems with our other Toshiba products.

I feel Toshiba should do something for us. The TV is in a closet, no one wants to listen to the tinny sound.