Occasional Contributor
ColoradoRobert

Tecra 8000 CD problem

For some reason this old laptop with SP2 XP Windows on it, will no longer play CD's or see anthing inserted into the CD bay.

Now the interchangeable floppy works fine but the CD does not. I downloaded SP3 by using the USB and a memory stick, then afterwards discovered the CD would not work. Let me be clear it may have not worked before. Since then I removed SP3, hoping that something there had occured, but that didn't solve it. 

I also used the fix-it tool from MS but that didn't help either. The light blinks and an icon of a CD shows on screen spinning but nothing feels like it's spinning. I suppose I could have a dead CD drive but I'm still thinking it's a driver or something. Don't want to accept the obvious without a fight you know. ha!

I also tried an external CD/DVD through the USB and that works fine. Anyone have ideas of other troubleshooting? Thanks in advance.  BTW I also looked for an updated driver for the Teac CD-224E but only ran into sites that wanted me to buy it. This machine is very old to spend money on, but time (spare time), I figured I had some of that!     PS - they say the driver was included in win98. I do have a win98 CD but not a floppy.      

Occasional Contributor
ColoradoRobert

Re: Tecra 8000 CD problem

Next - I reloaded SP3 and almost a 100 updates = no change. However I did notice that when I choose the onscreen eject the CD does eject. So there is some connection. Also when I get to a quiet place you can hear the CD spin off and on again.

I suppose they can just stop working abrutly but I remember loading a DVD program not to long ago and it worked. I didn't need the program because the CD is not a DVD.

As I was scrambling around I did insert the floopy drive and I had an old 95 boot disk (at least that is what I think it is). Is there any possibility the disc could have loaded and driver for the cdrom that doesn't match and now it is going to that and failing?  Still fighting but I am winded. Ideas welcome. Thanks in advance. 

Occasional Contributor
ColoradoRobert

Re: Tecra 8000 CD problem

Can you boot from USB?  Went into Bios Utility but in the boot order USB or external is not listed. Anyone know how to put USB in the boot sequence?