Occasional Contributor
kilee
Accepted Solution

SD Card Utilitities

Hi, all.

I have laptop Tecra M5-4333S and I would like to boot my laptop with SD card but SD memory boot utility does not work. I bought 4 GB of SDHC card, and Window XP can read and format as well but when I execute Toshiba SD Format Utility and SD Boot Utility, error message window appeared saying 'it cannot excute ......' So, I downloaded three utilities of SD devices for Tecrea M5 but results were same.

I need some advices because my DVD drive stops working and I need to install Windows XP from SD Boot Utility. And also, User's Manual says that when using SD Boot Utility, it seemed to me that the utility works like floppy drive, but in that case, I have to have DVD drive to install Windows XP. But as I explained, my DVD drive is out of order. So, please explain how can I boot my laptop with SD memory and install Windows XP together from SD card.

Thank you inadvance

Occasional Contributor
kilee

Re: SD Card Utilitities

First problem is solved! I checked my son's SD card, which is SD not SDHC. So, the reason why the utility failed was compatibility. But I still need second question, which is if I can install Windows XP from SD card or not.

According to my test, SD card formatted by Toshiba SD Boot Utility, in the Win XP, I still have available space of1.8 GB, but when I boot with SD card, DOS says 'No Available Space'. I think this is because of emulation by Toshiba Boot Utility. If anyone has similar experience, plsease advise me.

Thank you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Tecra M5-S4333

To make the bootable SD card, use a utility like WinToFlash.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
kilee

Thank you, Jerry.

I will try and post result.

Thank you again

K.I. Lee

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
kilee

Hi, all.

I tried WinToFlash but it does not work at my laptop. I tried possible way learing forum of that program. Still error message appeared say "cannot control SD drive". I have stop antivrus program, or not to format SD drive. They posted that SD card of 2 GB was tested but that program could not write information on SD.

Is there any other program to use SD card to install WIN XP?

Thank you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

WinToFlash..does not work at my laptop.

Sorry, I have no idea what the problem is.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
kilee

Finally, I made SD Card bootable with Win XP installed using my son's new laptop, which has factory configuration. FlashtoWin does not functioned in my laptop probably due to configuration, which I have changed. Anyway, I appreciate Mr. Jerry for his great help.

Thank you, again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Finally, I made SD Card bootable..

Hmm. I was just reading another post that says the BIOS in Toshiba machines cannot boot from there.

-Jerry
StephenHigby

HI all,

I have a Satellite A 105 and my SD host adapter is not reading my SDHC card. I put it into the slot and it is not reading. How do I correct the problem or update the reader?

Stephen