dq476
Accepted Solution

My Toshiba Tecra 520CDT/2.1

[ Edited ]

Hey, I had my old Toshiba Tecra 520CDT sitting out with the hard drive cover off, and the laptop fell one day and the hard drive wire ripped, so I was wondering were I could find a new one. My laptop info:

520CDT/2.1

Model #: PA1246U XCD

Serial #: 97243274

Part #: PA1246U-T2A

HDD SERIAL #: 87L34383T  JGO  EC.B

Disk drive           MK2103MAV

HDD2716 B                       ZEO1  T

IT IS 2167MB(megabytes) -- 2.1GB(gigabytes)

My laptop wire<<<My Hard Drive connecter wire

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: My toshiba tecra 520cdt

Here are two good sources for Toshiba parts.  I have no idea what the part number for it is though.

National Parts Depot

Spare Parts Warehouse

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

dq476

Re: My Toshiba Tecra 520CDT/2.1

I Finally got a new wire for it, but in the middle of the windows 98 boot up it starts clicking and stuff. May the harddrive possibly failed? If so would anyone know where i could get one that is compatible with it?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If it's clicking it's probably damaged beyond usability.  Unfortunately finding a drive for a system that old can be difficult, and possibly costly.  There are a few drive size limitations that might come into play here and I have no idea about how to determine if any of them apply.  You could be limited to 8gigs max or 32 gigs max.,  It's possible that you could use a drive as large as 137gigs, but that is a fairly slim possibility.  The smallest drives that I can find at reasonable prices are 60gigs.  Finding a drive smaller than 8gig or 30 gig except for used ones is difficult at best and can be rather expensive. 

Without knowing what limitations that model has it's going to be difficult to advise you of what it can use.  Do you happen to live in the Rockford IL area as I have a 20 gig we could try in it to try to determine what works in it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

dq476

I wish. but i live in texas.

dq476

Check that out. Would it possibly be compatible with this laptop and Windows 98 or 2000?

http://us-dc1-order.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/wg-order?ysco_key_event_id=&ysco_key_store_id=impactcomp...

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

All that link shows is an empty shopping cart. 

dq476

Really? thats wierd.. it shows a old not used 4.0gig toshiba harddrive that is ide. I wanderr why it shows an empty shopping cart for you.
Frequent Advisor
cee_64

[ Edited ]

Because you are logged into the system and I am not.  Instead of linking to the shopping cart try linking to the drive listing itself.

And I would check out their reseller ratings before I ordered anything from them.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Impact_Computers_Electronics

They were spamming this forum for a few days before they were banned.  Based on what I've seen and read I wouldn't trust them.

dq476

Okay, I am sorry. Here is the Correct Link:

http://www.impactcomputers.com/p002182.html

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I would have to say that there is a less than 1 in 100,000 chance that it is in fact a brand new drive.  I've read too may reviews of that site and the complaints from people who have recieved used items that were advertised as brand new.  From what I can tell, allthough they claim different they do NOT stand behind their products or transactions so getting a refund from them is rather slim if it isn't what it is reported to be. 

You can take your chances if you want, especially since there aren't a lot of other alternatives.  But before you do that I would check on http://forum.notebookreview.com/ and other laptop related forums to see if anyone has a 4gig or so drive there.  You might be able to pick one up for $10 or so. 

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

DId some additional checking and it appears that laptop should be able to support larger hard drives up to 137gigs in size, although I would limit it to 20 to 40 gig if possible. 

expatspain

I have no idea what the part number for it is though.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

expatspain wrote:

I have no idea what the part number for it is though.

?????