salpotter

I get error box THot2nd Window; message is cannot open powrprof.dll. system crashes

I have a Toshiba Tecra running XP professional Service Pack 3.

I was using Firefox and now have Chrome just installed. Problem occurs with both.

I routinely use GFI Viper - deep scan clear

Yesterday I installed MS Security Essentials - clear

I down loaded MS safety Scanner - clear

What happens - After 1-2 hrs running the system makes the 'somethings wrong' sound and the THot2nd Window with the powrprof.dll.......message appears. This happens repeatedly . There is a box that says the system has crashed and the program will be terminated. As I try to close these boxes more appear until there is a Unresponsive Program box appears and I click end now. Then when I click Start to shut down I am prompted to log off [which I dont usually see]. Either clicking logoff or cancel or x-ing out has no effect. Eventually the system restarts.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: I get error box THot2nd Window; message is cannot open powrprof.dll. system crashes

Which Tecra? See the label on the bottom.

Give us the full part number, which might look something like PT42GE-00C006EN.

-Jerry
salpotter

Re: I get error box THot2nd Window; message is cannot open powrprof.dll. system crashes

Tecra A10 Model Number PTSB0A-002001

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Tecra A10 (PTSB0A-002001)

Downloads here.

Your thread in Microsoft Answers..

I get THot2nd window saying Cannot load POWDProf.dll and system crashes

Bug Check 0x50: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Faulting Driver: win32.sys

Did the blue screen occur during a shutdown?

Please attach the corresponding *.dmp file from the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

You've done lots of things you did not report to us. Among them, you did this one wrong. So let's start here.

I did as instructed re sfc.exe and there was a momentary small black screen then it disappeared.

So run sfc /scannow properly, which is at the command prompt.

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

-Jerry
salpotter

Sorry I didn't get a chance to 'tell you everything'.

The blue screen didnot happen during a shut down but during a start up after a frozen episode that I did a power button hold down.

I dont understand how to do sfc/scannow. I looked at the attachments

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I dont understand how to do sfc/scannow.

Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) and type this followed by Enter.

sfc /scannow

The blue screen didnot happen during a shut down but during a start up after a frozen episode that I did a power button hold down.

Please attach the corresponding *.dmp file from the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

-Jerry
salpotter

I have done the sfc/scannow. It completed but there were no other messages....I'll wait and see

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Please attach at least one of the *.dmp files from the C:\Windows\Minidump folder to your reply. They get created by blue-screen errors.

Is there something you don't understand about that?

-Jerry
salpotter

Minidump folder in empty

salpotter

Please dont be frustrated by my poor computer literacy....I try hard

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Minidump folder in empty

Open System Properties (sysdm.cpl).

(When I give you a program to run like sysdm.cpl, press WindowsKey+R to open the Run box and put the program in there.)

On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button at the bottom (under Startup and Recovery).

At the bottom of that window, set things for a mini-dump so it looks this way.

AutoRestartXP.jpg

Please explain any changes you needed to make.

-Jerry
salpotter

In the System Failure box I changed Kernal Memory Dump to Small Memory dump and the next line changed from %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP to what you indicated. I then had a message 'if the page file on Vol C: has an initial size of less than 0 megabyte the system may not be able to create a debuggibg information file if a STOP ERROR occurs. Continue anyway?' I said yes. Then got SYST control Palel Alert you need to restart your computer' which I did. now what. The computer is frequenly hanging up all frozen; no cursor; no response to ctrl+alt+del. Has done so twice this AM

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

The computer is frequenly hanging up all frozen; no cursor; no response to ctrl+alt+del. Has done so twice this AM

You may have failing hardware.

In any case, you have so many difficulties that I think it's best to start over. That will replace everything on the hard drive. So you will need to back up important files and reinstall added applications later.

Try to burn the discs described in the section Creating Optical Recovery Discs on p. 1-13 of the User's Manual.

Do you have the Windows XP installation CD?

-Jerry
salpotter

No but I have a program on a bootable disc that creates a copy of the Hard drive and re installs it. I have a copy made before this nonsense started.....I guess that is the answer. Re failing hardware - I have ordered a new Toshiba note book. But I'm rather fond of this old dinasaur.

Thanks for your help!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I have a program on a bootable disc that creates a copy of the Hard drive and re installs it. I have a copy made before this nonsense started.

That's what backups are for. (We make them daily and keep the most recent ten.)

-Jerry