mpaula
Accepted Solution

toshiba thrive can´t write micro SD

I have a Tablet Thrive and I can not write to micro SD with adapter. help me!

Regular Advisor
dalepl

Re: toshiba thrive can´t write micro SD

The Thrive is very picky about micro SDcard adapters.  Even though it may work on your PC, it does not mean it will work on the Thrive.  Try a full SDcard to see if it can be written to.You can try one from a camera if you have one.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
Occasional Contributor
Kaio

mpaula

I tried the full SD card of my camera and it worked correctly. It will be an adapter problem?

mpaula

Re: Toshiba thrive can´t write micro SD

Yes, I tried exFat formatting, but I still have the same problem

Occasional Contributor
Kaio

yeah, in that case, it could be an adapter problem.  does the microSD card work in other devices?

mpaula

Yes, it does. I have tested on my PC and working properly. Is a SDHC card, Will that the problem?

Occasional Advisor
epags

You said:  "Is a SDHC card, Will that the problem?"

Nope:  I have used two Kingston full sized class 10 SDHC (16 g and 32 g) cards and they both worked.  Were formated in FAT32.  Haven't tried a micro in an adapter.

mpaula

Thanks for your help. The problem is I can work on my computer normally but I can't work on the tablet. I will try with a card from the same features in another adapter. Also I will try  with an SD card instead of microSD. Then I publish the results in this forum. Thanks again epags!

Occasional Contributor
Kaio

I'm cross-posting this from my response to someone elsewhere.  Curious to know if anyone here can find some similarities, particularly the second paragraph about specifics on their microSD cards and any adapters they're using:

... The app I am using is OfficeSuite Pro5. Have you gone into the Settings, and set your My Documents folder? Mine reads: /mnt/sdcard2 When I save the document, I select XL97.xls format, but the other formats work too. Then when I click Save, I select My Documents, which has small text under it, that says Your Default Document Folder. Once you click that, it shows the contents of my SD card, and I just click Save or put it into a folder. I even tried a test with an SD card that had no folders, just to make sure there wasn't some anomaly happening. When formatting my SD card, the Allocation Unit Size was set to 32kb.....................................

..........I just did a bunch of tests, with 2 different microSD cards inside an SD adapter. My Amazon Basics 4gb microSD and a 2gb microSD SanDisc. Both the 2gb and 4gb microSD cards could have files saved to them, when inside the Amazon Basics SD Adapter. BUT only the Amazon Basics 4gb microSD card could be successfully saved to when in the SanDisc SD Adapter. So the 2gb SanDisc could only have files saved to it when inside the Amazon Basics Adapter but failed to save files inside it's own SD Adapter. Interestingly enough, the Amazon Basics microSD was capable in having files saved in either adapter. In examining the 2 cards, the SanDisc does not say what class it is, which likely means it's class 2. The Amazon Basics says microSD HC, and is class 10. Check your own SD card to see if there are any patterns developing. And let me know, because I'd love to figure out this mystery, as to why some of us can save files, and others can't. Something must be different with the cards we're using. Similar to my tests above. Hope this all makes sense! I went a little geeky there! ;oD Take care.
Kaio

jeff02

[ Edited ]
I reformated my sdcard with the exfat32 format from a windows 7 computer and it allowed me to read/write and modify files on the card with officesuit pro5 just fine. The 3.2 upgraded changed something and stopped you from saving or modify files on you external sdcards if your sdcard was formated in the FAT format. This worked for me hope it helps. Fyi this fixed several other apps that were refusing to write to my external Fat format sdcards too.

32gb amazon basic sdcard. Orginal format FAT, Changed format to exFAT32 on a windows 7 computer fixed problem.
foldman

i have a 16gb carn its new format exfat  my computer can write to it and my thrive can read the files and play the movies on it but both file manager and astro cannot creat a directory or write/copy files to it

mpaula

[ Edited ]

I tested the card with other adapters, but does not work. So I changed my microSD by SD card and I read/write my card. As you said earlier it seems the Thrive has problems with some adapters.

cap871

Re: toshiba thrive can´t write micro SD- SOLUTION-FIXED=

So I read all the forums and everything else, was as stymied as every other user.  Now I had an external drive that the thrive would not read and just as a test I reformatted it to exfat.  Thrive read and wrote to it.
So my 16g SD Card was backed up

Quick format to exfat
everything was copied back
documents to go started

fileon the SD card opened, edited and saved

wooohooo did the happy dance

so that is all it took

backup the card

quick format to exfat

copy everything back to the card

and you are in business

BusyTechPro

You need to remove the SD card from your Thrive, put it in your Lap or Desktop, then reformat your SD card using exFat format, which is already available under Window 7 operating systems.  This did the trick for me.  I hope this helps!

SEC_SAM

Formatted 32GB SDHC card in exFAT worked for me.