sfw313

toshiba thrive 10.1 not charging

My husband and I both have the Toshiba thrive 10.1 32gb. Earlier today I noticed mine wouldn't turn on and I plugged it in thinking it was just dead, the charging light doesn't come on. So I switched the batteries and mine started right up with my husband's battery in it. And my battery in his charges just fine but my tablet still won't charge, there's no light and the battery icon doesn't show it's charging. My guess is that the charging port in mine isn't working. Could it be anything else? And is there any other way I can charge it?
misterlucky

Re: toshiba thrive 10.1 not charging

Mine tried giving me a hard way to go in that area as well; do what i did :  put your battery back in, and hold the power button down for what seems like a long time, about ten seconds or more..there should be a vibrating thump, and all the lites go off..then let the power button up, re press it again and it should power up..  it should also show its charging too.

sfw313

Thanks for the reply. I tried that and it didn't change anything.
rgb
rgb

I had a similar problem. Unfortunately, I can't find the link where it described the solution that worked for me so I'm going to have to go by memory.

AFAIK there are several different solutions that work for different people with this problem.

The most common solution I've seen is to simply remove the power cord and battery, wait a while and then power on.

The second solution I've seen was to do the above but also to remove/re-insert the small blue battery too.

Neither of those worked for me.

This is what I did (again, I'm going by memory here and I'm not responsible for any damage this may cause).
- Make sure the power cord is in.
- Remove Battery
- Hold power button for 20-30 seconds and release
- Remove power cord
- Hold power button for another 20-30 seconds and release
- Plug in power cord
- Insert Battery
- Power up Thrive.

This would seem to indicate that there is an issue with a capacitor holding charge or something and holding the power button discharges it, but I'm not an engineer and just speculating here.

If that doesn't work, I've also seen people suggest going into "safe mode" and/or to do a factory reset but I haven't tried those (you'll have to google on how to do them).

The only other thing I can suggest is to send it in for repair.

Good luck.

sfw313

Thank you for the information. I tried what you've suggested. No change in the tablet. I also heard about doing a factory reset but didn't want to lose everything. So I delayed doing so. But I just did it and unfortunately no change either.
Rae130

[ Edited ]

It may be the charger, I have had my Thrive for less than two months and had exactly the same problem. Changing the battery didn't help but switching out the power cord fixed the problem completely.

sfw313

I know it's not the charger or the battery because both work fine with my husband's tablet.
KenzieS

My tablet is doing the same thing and I have used my sisters tablet to charge like you use your husband's. Unfortunately have not had any luck in fixing the problem.  My dad has checked the current that goes from the charger to the circuit board and that is fine, but from the circuit board to the battery is weak.  We are thinking it is that circuit board, but have not found any luck in finding a replacement yet.

sfw313

Well I kinda fixed my problem now. I bought a docking station off eBay. It charges it just fine that way.
kaytindel

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I followed the steps you providing about removing the battery, etc. and now my tablet is back up and charging. I really love this tablet!! I have had it for quite a while and this is the first issue I have had with it and I use it quite a bit.

oli
oli

The steps above did not work for me :smileysad:

My issue was AC charger stopped working, but I could charge from the car. Now nothing, hence a dead tablet