Occasional Builder
reverted

storage issues

I'm having trouble installing new apps because it is telling me I don't have enough space. I only have an 8 gig thrive but I don't have a whole lot of apps on it. Under applications in settings it says I have 1.5 gigs available of 2.9. Under storage in settings it says I have 1.37 gigs of 7.45 but it only shows 3 gigs being used. And finally when I go to file manager and device info in the upper right corner it says I have 70 MB out of 2.6 gigs. First off why is there so much difference between the 3 different areas? Second why do I only have less than 3 gigs of useable storage, I really doubt android takes 5 gigs to run. Third is there any way to get apps to run from my SD card, I bought apps to sd but it's never worked. Really annoyed about lack of useable space when I know other 8 gig devices have access to a lot more space.
Regular Advisor
dalepl

Re: storage issues

First off, no, HC does not support Apps2SD.  As for the 3GB of space.  This is a partition for apps to be installed.  It is for apps only and not the app data.  You may have an app loaded that is downloading a lot of data and storing it on the device.  One such app is Google Currents.  It stores a large amount of data in the data storage area and can cause the device to say it is out of room.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
Occasional Builder
reverted

So why isn't the data deleted when i uninstall an app. I understand game saves and stuff like that are saved, but I just looked at the file manager and some apps that I have unistalled still have hundreds of MB of data still saved. I really have to go through and search through each folder to delete data from apps I've uninstalled? That seems really stupid.
Regular Advisor
dalepl

Yes, I aggree with you, but thta is the way it is.  Unless the app designer cleans up after himself, you will have fragments left behind.  The best practive for uninstalling anything is to go into SETTINGS->APPLICATIONS and under MANAGED APPLICATIONS, find the app you want to uninstall.  Force Close it and then clear all its data before selecting uninstall.  at worst, you will have an enpty directory left behind.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org