Tiffanyl

how can i shut down the tablet?

i'm a new user of toshiba thrive tablet, can someone tell me how to shut down the tablet? thanks a lot, i appreciated it. 

Occasional Contributor
Elias987

Re: how can i shut down the tablet?

To shut down the tablet, all you have to do is hold the power button (the one you use to put the tablet to sleep) for 2 seconds until a confirmation message appears press OK and the tablet vibrates and shuts down. Just remember to wait a couple minutes before you restart it. Why do you need to shut it down most user just put it to sleep?!
Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill

Elias987 wrote:
To shut down the tablet, all you have to do is hold the power button (the one you use to put the tablet to sleep) for 2 seconds until a confirmation message appears press OK and the tablet vibrates and shuts down. Just remember to wait a couple minutes before you restart it. Why do you need to shut it down most user just put it to sleep?!

I fully charge and shut down my Thrive when I go to bed each night.  I expect it to be fully charged for the next day's work.  However, about every other morning it's already booted up and the charge is down to 85ish%---very frustrating.  I had thought the Kaspersky was making it come on, but apparently it wasn't the sole turner on.  "Updates waiting" also turn it on.  Very disgusting it is to get up each morning and never know if my Thrive will have adequate charge to last the day . . .

Tiffanyl

so i dont have to shut it down everyday? how to let it sleep? just leave it? sorry got a bunch of questions, a new tablet user.
Occasional Advisor
bigredgonzo

hummingbirdhill wrote:
I fully charge and shut down my Thrive when I go to bed each night.  I expect it to be fully charged for the next day's work.  However, about every other morning it's already booted up and the charge is down to 85ish%---very frustrating.  I had thought the Kaspersky was making it come on, but apparently it wasn't the sole turner on.  "Updates waiting" also turn it on.  Very disgusting it is to get up each morning and never know if my Thrive will have adequate charge to last the day . . .

There is nothing on the Thrive to automatically "Turn it on" if it is shut down.  Are you sure you are shutting it down or just putting it to sleep?  If you aren't having to touch the OK button when you go to shut it down, you are only putting it to sleep.

BigRedGonzo

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Tiffany, 

To make it go to sleep, just tap the power button, the screen should shut off, but the tablet will continue to run in a sleep mode, that can be woken by an alarm, or even stuff on the homescreen. (I've seen some widgets that'll wake the tablet from sleep, every 2 minutes. Annoying.)

Shutdown is performed with a long press on the power button, a popup will show, asking "are you sure you wanted to turn me off?" (this isn't the exact wording)... tap ok, or yes, and it'll run through the shutdown procedure, and turn completely off.  (allowing for a faster recharge)

And if you have an alarm or something expecting to wake you or go off for any reason, it will not happen if the tablet is shut off.

Hope that helps.

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
Occasional Contributor
Elias987

Yup just put it to sleep and leave it, you can conserve battery especially if use the tablet often because powering it up uses a little battery power. Plus now you can use the tablet as a an alarm clock like I do, because now the tablet will make sound when you set an alarm unlike when you turn it off! And don't worry just ask any questions that u want.
Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

If it really is off (shutdown), it should not be able to turn it off as the CPU is out like a rock. If it is asleep and it wakes up, make sure you have the latest update (.0032). Also, turning on Airplane Mode should conserve battery usage while the unit is asleep.