mjc4513

Work around for SOD?

Since I have configured the Lock Screen under setting with Secured with pattern - I have not had a wake up problem. Could it some how be related to that?
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Re: Work around for SOD?

I'm betting on sheer coincidence but will stand by for other reports.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

Why can't I type on this site from my thrive with rich text? Anyways. Jim,this guy is on to something. I set up the pattern lock and haven't had an issue yet,and I get the sod every other time I put the thrive to sleep or it sleeps on its own,
Occasional Contributor
Alcatraz

True I set mine up that way for a week and a half,SOD has not happened yet so it must have something to do with the normal lock screen. :-)
Occasional Contributor
DrWho

Weird stuff... I'll try that tonight.  Never really gave this a try but look like it may work.

Jim, did your Thrive ever got the SOD, or you're one of the lucky one (or I guess in your case unlucky one).

Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

Dudes,my thrive has been perfect all day since using the pattern screen lock. No sod.
Redrider

Have been trying this out for the past few hours, and it seems to work perfectly....so SOD!

Occasional Builder
nickbass

I have mentioned this a few times in another thread, but considering it is now 16 pages plus, I can see how it got lost in the mix. For me, It was not just the lock with a pattern screen, for I still had SOD 25% of the time. I had read this earlier and seemed to work. Under the lock option, there is a screen timeout, which I changed to 5 seconds. Also, this may be a coincidence, but I turned off the GPS as well. (SYNC and backup options remain on.) What the key thing is then, was to push the power button twice to put to sleep, and then bring it back to the lock screen. I then let the 5 seconds lapse from the lock screen and it sleeps by itself, with no problem waking up 19 out of 20 times at least and up to 4 hours. This may be a coincidence but I also turn off wifi manually before sutting it off completely to try and keep it from turning on on it's own.
joecoolosu

I did the pattern lock, work for a day.. then SOD's returned for me..

Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

Yes,this turned out to be bogus for me too. It also worked for a day. Now its back to locking up and turning itself on.
Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

HHHMMM - my fix was still working, but I tried the pattern lock also.

May leave it on - but if it causes problems - will stop using it.

Occasional Contributor
DrWho

Pattern lock didn't work for me either.  Didn't even last for a day, SOD in couple hours.

pawmbi

My Thrive is a sleeper every time. I've did all the work arounds ive read on this and other forums so far this one is working and its been 1 day. I will say this morning it did wake up but the screen wouldn't respond so I had to reboot but I think I may know why but so far all day its been waking up with the pattern lock. Also note I have all these other workarounds took wifi lock policy off..blah blah so don't know if that helps
charger32

After I installed Advanced Wifi lock a few weeks ago I haven't had the SOD at all.

Are there any side effects I should worry about when usign this app? It has been working perfectly but not many people use it so it has me wondering

Occasional Contributor
Schatzie

charger 32:

I, too, have been using the Advanced Wifi Lock app for weeks now and have had NO SOD issues whatsoever.  I do not think that there are bad effects.  Some say it might drain the battery faster, but I have not noticed any real detrimental effects in that respect.  I also use the setting to turn off Wifi when screen is dark along with the default settings of the wifi app.  I think this app is the best solution until Toshiba has a permanent fix.  Some people have reported that this app does NOT work for them.  I think, like with any new product, there are going to be good units and defective units.  From what I have been reading on this forum, people are having crazy things happen to their Thrives which obviously people like yourself and myself have not experienced hence the good vs. defective units??

Just a thought.............

Occasional Contributor
rushmore

[ Edited ]

I went from over 80% SOD to 0% with no need for a wifi app or battery tricks.

1. Unlock the orientation button

2. Leave the screen lock on

3. Set wifi to turn off when in battery mode

4. Put in sleep mode by pressing power button (no auto sleep)

5. Set the display to go off in ten minutes (gives more time to turn off, but if I forget past that, I would rather power down and restart than the have battery run down with the display always on).

Five days and zero SOD.  This will work until a solution is made.  I would prefer the shotgun approach and Toshiba just update with 3.2 and see if the issue is fixed.

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

Had my first SOD since the 18th, with the Pattern Lock on.

I disabled the Pattern Lock - now it wakes to plain screen (no circle - kinda miss that).

My fix was simple:

1. Keep unit plugged in.  Make sure auto backup and recovery have been set from Google Apps.

2. Power down (or in my case it wouldn't boot off, so just shut it down).

3. Using the Power Button and Volume Button, boot up into Recovery Mode

4. Pick the middle box for the Factory Reset (any other software factory reset is NOT going to work - you have to hit the Root of the matter, pun intended).  The box takes you to place where you scroll to Yes, erase User date.

5. You need to start the tablet registration/initialization process again. DO NOT ALLOW set Locations with wireless networks as part of the registration.  Turning it off AFTER its set up in Services may not give you the clean state you want.

6. Let Google download your apps.  Not all will load, but you can deal with My Market on the Web AFTER this is done.

7. Go into settings, and turn off the other two service:  Use GPs satellites, and Use Location for Google Search.  Your locations are picked up either coarse or fine via apps and browsers themselves - so you really don't need to worry about that.

8.  Push the Power button when Google is done, prompt comes up to shut down.  Tap OK, and then remove battery.  Hold for 3 to 5 minutes, then replace battery.  Start up.  Your wifi should now shut off when it goes to sleep mode.  If you need to use Google Maps, turn on the services you need, then turn them off again, and RESTART THE TABLET WHEN DONE!!  Hanging apps can cause problems here - you can only get them to smoothly quit via restart.  Force stop doesn't really work.

I can have wifi on or off, let it fall asleep, or push to sleep, power off for overnight, etc.  No wekey wakey issues.