07-26-2011 12:09 PM
07-26-2011 04:36 PM
Weird stuff... I'll try that tonight. Never really gave this a try but look like it may work.
Jim, did your Thrive ever got the SOD, or you're one of the lucky one (or I guess in your case unlucky one).
07-27-2011 03:59 AM
07-27-2011 06:12 PM
07-28-2011 05:26 AM
After I installed Advanced Wifi lock a few weeks ago I haven't had the SOD at all.
Are there any side effects I should worry about when usign this app? It has been working perfectly but not many people use it so it has me wondering
07-28-2011 06:15 AM
I, too, have been using the Advanced Wifi Lock app for weeks now and have had NO SOD issues whatsoever. I do not think that there are bad effects. Some say it might drain the battery faster, but I have not noticed any real detrimental effects in that respect. I also use the setting to turn off Wifi when screen is dark along with the default settings of the wifi app. I think this app is the best solution until Toshiba has a permanent fix. Some people have reported that this app does NOT work for them. I think, like with any new product, there are going to be good units and defective units. From what I have been reading on this forum, people are having crazy things happen to their Thrives which obviously people like yourself and myself have not experienced hence the good vs. defective units??
Just a thought.............
07-28-2011 07:35 AM - edited 07-28-2011 07:38 AM
I went from over 80% SOD to 0% with no need for a wifi app or battery tricks.
1. Unlock the orientation button
2. Leave the screen lock on
3. Set wifi to turn off when in battery mode
4. Put in sleep mode by pressing power button (no auto sleep)
5. Set the display to go off in ten minutes (gives more time to turn off, but if I forget past that, I would rather power down and restart than the have battery run down with the display always on).
Five days and zero SOD. This will work until a solution is made. I would prefer the shotgun approach and Toshiba just update with 3.2 and see if the issue is fixed.
07-28-2011 01:54 PM
Had my first SOD since the 18th, with the Pattern Lock on.
I disabled the Pattern Lock - now it wakes to plain screen (no circle - kinda miss that).
My fix was simple:
1. Keep unit plugged in. Make sure auto backup and recovery have been set from Google Apps.
2. Power down (or in my case it wouldn't boot off, so just shut it down).
3. Using the Power Button and Volume Button, boot up into Recovery Mode
4. Pick the middle box for the Factory Reset (any other software factory reset is NOT going to work - you have to hit the Root of the matter, pun intended). The box takes you to place where you scroll to Yes, erase User date.
5. You need to start the tablet registration/initialization process again. DO NOT ALLOW set Locations with wireless networks as part of the registration. Turning it off AFTER its set up in Services may not give you the clean state you want.
6. Let Google download your apps. Not all will load, but you can deal with My Market on the Web AFTER this is done.
7. Go into settings, and turn off the other two service: Use GPs satellites, and Use Location for Google Search. Your locations are picked up either coarse or fine via apps and browsers themselves - so you really don't need to worry about that.
8. Push the Power button when Google is done, prompt comes up to shut down. Tap OK, and then remove battery. Hold for 3 to 5 minutes, then replace battery. Start up. Your wifi should now shut off when it goes to sleep mode. If you need to use Google Maps, turn on the services you need, then turn them off again, and RESTART THE TABLET WHEN DONE!! Hanging apps can cause problems here - you can only get them to smoothly quit via restart. Force stop doesn't really work.
I can have wifi on or off, let it fall asleep, or push to sleep, power off for overnight, etc. No wekey wakey issues.
Copyright © Toshiba America Information Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.