Dave_Darque
Accepted Solution

What file types (video) does this tablet support?

[ Edited ]

I have the 10in Thrive Tablet AT105-T1016 and can't seem to get any videos to play on it. I have tried the default media player and a few downloaded media player apps. I have no idea what file types this thing supports.

I have tried wmv, flv, and m4v, two of which are the formats my digital copy movies are. The m4v won't play in anything, even media player apps that supposedly play everything, and the tablet won't even let me copy wmv files into it. I get a message that tells me it may not play properly. I click to copy anyway, then get an error that reads, "Although this device supports files, it does not support .wmv files."

It suggests converting it to a different format, but doesn't tell me which format IS supported. I have not been able to watch any videos on this thing, which is one of the reasons I spent the extra on the bigger screen, was for my portable movies.

I have tried asking around, and no one seems to know. Instead, they suggest media player apps that don't seem to do what people tell me they do.

I need to know what file types for video this tablet supports, or if there are media player apps that actually can play other formats. I have tried VLC, MX player, GG Player, and several others. Please help!

Occasional Contributor
gkramer

Re: What file types (video) does this tablet support?

MP4 is the best to use. I convert videos to MP4 with a software. It works great. The software i use is DVD Catalyst 4.

Dave_Darque

[ Edited ]

Not gonna work. It says right on the page that it cannot convert digital copy files, which is what I need.

I just find it odd that it only supports one type of video file. My ipod played more file types than the tablet that cost twice as much.

Starting to regret trading my ipod for my tablet. The screen may have been tiny, but at least I could watch my movies on the go.

If I do need a file converting program, are there any good free ones? I already spent hundreds on this tablet and I really don't want to have to pay for a program just to watch movies on it.

Occasional Advisor
TheNobleOne

[ Edited ]
The video files may be copyright protected. M4v files are used by Apple iTunes and may have "Fairplay" protection on them, preventing them from playing from non-apple devices. More info on that here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4v

As for Wmv, I've played wmv, avi, and mpg files using the stock video player without issue. Flv (flash video) files, with the correct player, should work. The only thing I can think of is that your videos have some form of copyright protection.

Try downloading this wmv file http://www.archive.org/details/WorkToFishtestwmv using a PC, then put it on the tablet and see if it works (for some reason only Opera Mobile browser can actually download it, MX player plays it without downloading it). If it works, it's something with the video files.
Dave_Darque

I think they do. They are digital copies, meant for portable devices, though. They should still work, and it sucks that they don't. Guess I won't be watching movies on my tablet, then.

As for the "correct player" for flv, that is why I asked about players in my last post. I have no idea. I've only had this tablet for a week. I need suggestions. I have seen way too many in the marketplace and don't know what to trust or what will work.

Occasional Advisor
TheNobleOne

[ Edited ]
Basically the one with good reviews. I was able to play some test flv files with MX Video Player. I don't know if you would have to download the two extra codecs that show up as suggestions in the marketplace, I'm not sure what they're for exactly, but I have them installed. The Bitlabs flv player has good reviews as well. Any app that you see has reviews and has obviously been used by people you needn't worry about it's safety.

As for m4v videos from the iTunes store, if it does have Apple's proprietery protection on it, it will not play on an Android tablet or any unverified non-Apple device. They do that on purpose. I think If you want to play one on a PC you would have to verify it with iTunes by logging in (I don't know the specifics of that, that's what Wikipedia said.)

The only way to play a protected m4v file on any tablet other than an iPad would be to use software to remove the protection and rename it "mp4." Unfortunately, I guess Apple's (or at least the late Steve Job's) hatred for Google's Android OS would not be helping the issue.

As for your flv and wmv files, did you try a test wmv file? If the test wmv file works, then the problem is with the videos.
Occasional Contributor
gkramer

Digital copies just dont work with android. Nothing tou can do there. Just use the regular dvd and convert it to MP4. that is the best way to do it

Dave_Darque

Then, in that case, I need a program (preferably free, cuz I am broke after buying this tablet) that can either convert video files, or rip a dvd to my hard drive. If not, I may have to resort to "other" methods of getting movies onto my tablet. Any suggestions?

Occasional Contributor
gkramer

You wont find many (good) programs for free. DVD Catalyst cost me 10 bucks, a pretty good deal considering most others are about 20-40 dollars 

Dave_Darque

I know it is not a bad deal, but I was hoping there would be a demo version, just so I can test it out before I buy it. I have never heard of this program before and can't find any reviews or anything about it. I might have to break down and buy it, as I know nothing about it.

For example, can I put a DVD into my computer and use the program to put it on my computer, or does it just convert video I already have on my computer? I know for certain my digital copies are now useless, as it says right on the website that it cannot convert them, so I would need some way to get movies onto it.

Occasional Advisor
epags

Had to jump in...I researched the subject and you can use mp4 which works well. Here is the link: http://www.tools4movies.com. you may have to cut and paste it into your browser.
The designer has how to info and it works very well. He will address hard to copy DVDs quickly.
Another option is hulu and nexflix they play quite well.
Dave_Darque

Hulu is only for TV shows, to my knowledge, and Netflix I refuse to use (long story). Your reply does not address my previous post's question, though. Can the DVD Catalyst program be used to burn DVDs onto my hard drive in the proper format, so I can copy them over to the tablet?

I have no idea what "The designer will address hard to copy DVDs quickly" means. Does that mean I can copy a DVD to my computer to put on my tablet, or does it copy directly to the tablet?

Also, I read the how-to guide for the Toshiba Thrive (which they admit is not even supported yet), and near the end, it switches to talking about the Galaxy Tab and the pictures it shows are for the Motorola Xoom. This is what is confusing me about this program and making me wonder if it will work or not.

Occasional Advisor
epags

I am trying to be helpful so I don't hope I come across being sarcastic...but go to the link and read about your issues.  The forum iss not a place to copy and past an entire website.  People are trying to help you but you need to do some homework too.

Dave_Darque

Let me start by saying I know you are trying to be helpful and I appreciate it.

I have finally gotten the demo to download (was getting a 404 error before, which was part of my worrying), so I will just try it out myself.

The only other thing I don't understand was a comment you made in an earlier post, which I was asking about in my last post (the comment about him "addressing hard to copy DVDs quickly"). I don't know what that means?

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion, and I will give the program a try and try not to bother you guys anymore about this.

Occasional Advisor
epags

You said:  "....The only other thing I don't understand was a comment you made in an earlier post....(the comment about him "addressing hard to copy DVDs quickly")....

The developer addresses DVD issues people have with movies that are hard to convert (different protections?) and he does it by title so if you try to convert a particular title and it doesn't seem to work, you can email him and he will point you to the link on his site that addresses that particular one or will go buy it and work his program until it can be converted.  I was impressed for what he does for a $10 purchase.  No, he is not related to me.  I tried the trial version and 45 minutes later was coughing up the $10 of the full version I was so impressed. 

He even has a setting that lets you increase the overall volume of the movie you are converting so it plays well on the Thrive.  I and others have had trouble listening to dialog while in a noisy enviroment (like airplanes) and this one setting made it 'all better'.

Dave_Darque

Many thanks, epags. That is pretty impressive from software that only costs $10. I will definitely have to check out the demo and see what this thing can do.

I appreciate all of your help.

rogerwilker

I can play wmv and mp4;not mpeg thou.

Okamimann

Have you looked into Freemake Video Converter? 100% free, converts just about anything into just about anything else. Can also make a DVD that stores 40 hours of video playable on a standard DVD player. http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

vmarieb2011

I am seeing this today and was having the same issue with mp4 movies. It does work for avi formats and I am now using the free make converter now but its slow in converting well it could be my slow computer. I will go step by step until I figure it out and let you know as I go.
Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

Freemake installs tons and tons of unneeded and intrusive software.  Might want to look at HandBrake for converting DVDs and video formats.

Also, use MX Player or DicePlayer with DicePlayer Tegra 2 Plugin (for some formats, may need to S/W decode).