Regular Contributor
Android101
Accepted Solution

We THRIVE for Jellybean!!

Where is Jellybean 4.1.1 on the Thrive? We know that the Toshiba Thrive 10 is extremely capable of handling it. With its Nvida Tegra 2 processor, I'm sure
It would do great. But like we know, Toshiba is particularly slow with updates. We almost gave up with the ICS update, but should we give up on Jellybean too?
I sure hope not! The Thrive is an old device but, it should not be forgotten!
Android101
remotehugger

Re: We THRIVE for Jellybean!!

I agree 100% - our Thrives are more than capable of handling JB - there are devices with less prowess than ours getting the update so there is definitely no reason we shouldnt - and with all the hiccups and quirks with the ICS release, that could and should all be fixed with the JB update - Dont get me wrong, i am glad that we got ICS, save for the glitches that almost ALL Thrive owners have experienced (poor volume, popping noises, shared storage problems, sleep of death...again, wifi problems, etc...) other than that its pretty smooth - but i sure would think that even though the Thrive is considered a "Legacy" device now, it still has a huge following (just check out thriveforums.org), people are still purchasing them and JB i think is a must - so PLEASE, PLEASE Toshiba, give us what we want and more importantly, what we deserve. 

Thank You,

Rob Booker

Sent from my Thrive running ICS
Regular Contributor
Android101

That is SO true, but Toshiba is always slow with their updates! But you are completely right, they could at  least tell us a date of which is might be available. At least tell us something!!!

Trace Broyles

Sent frm my Thrive running  ICS!!

Android101
Occasional Advisor
jw14211

the Thrive with ICS is running SHADOWGUN THD,, even though the Google Play Store says it's not compatible, what gives.
The game is running very smooth, responsive, no lags nor crashes,, go figure.

BRING ON JELLYBEAN, THE THRIVE ROCKS.

I know it will work on the Excite as well.... IT'S TOSHIBA THAT IS STALLING IT SEEMS.
This Jelly Bean, will cause BOTH the THRIVE and EXCITE sells to rise.

J. W. CARTER
Regular Contributor
Android101

I feel as though every other big company like Samsung, or Asus is on top of things. Alo of their devies already have Jellybena. Where as toshiba is stalling and probably NOT bring out jellybean until Android 4.2 comes out. Like Jellybean. Once 4.1 was released, then Toshiba decided to kick ift into high gear!! Which is why i'm getting an iPhone 4...

Sent from my Thrive STILL running ics

Android101
toad78

Put it to you this way, since the 4.04 upgrade my Thrive has become less useful. Tech support is none existent as well as any chance of downgrading the OS.

I hope Toshiba does get their act together soon and fix this thing or I'll be making a visit to the Better Business Bureau.
Regular Contributor
Android101

I think you should call the B.B.B. Toshiba needs to understand that they are failing to meet our needs!!

Android101
Occasional Advisor
jw14211

Google is getting ready to release Keylime Pie android 4.2, and they have already updated Jelly Bean to version  4.1.2.
So there you have it folks, our Toshiba Thrives are left FAR behind, even though the devices itsef, are more than able to run Jelly Bean, but the Techs. are NOT able to make it happen, either by not caring, or not being smart enough to do it.

The company is lagging far behind others, but hey, they just released a new laptop, that has specs of last years models,, so maybe their focus is now on it.
They even have new tv sets released for sale now,, maybe they should stick to that.

My Thrive is working fine, the browser is slow, but I learned to adapt by not scrolling too fast.
Games play ok, and the video apps play well also.
I know it could be better, but hey, with Toshiba, it's all about the money, NOT the product.

J. W. CARTER
Regular Contributor
Android101

You sicken me!! Your just sucking up to them. Don't do that. That's what they want you to do.
Android101
Occasional Advisor
jw14211

You wanna fight pal? LOL
Check the post below, about CM10 being super close to the Jelly Bean build.
Thay have don't about 90% of the work for Toshiba, so this should be a peice of cake for the Toshiba devs.
MAYBE NOT, for it's not just them, but the company itself.

Just cross your fingers, and take some meds for that sickness, hope you get well soon. lol

J. W. CARTER
Occasional Advisor
indest

[ Edited ]

jw14211 wrote:

You wanna fight pal? LOL
Check the post below, about CM10 being super close to the Jelly Bean build.
They have don't about 90% of the work for Toshiba, so this should be a peice of cake for the Toshiba devs.
MAYBE NOT, for it's not just them, but the company itself.

Just cross your fingers, and take some meds for that sickness, hope you get well soon. lol

I'd say the rom is like 95% completed. With project butter and the other enhancement, this build runs 10x better than ICS. However, Toshiba will never adapt CM10 as jb. Since they have the real kernel source code and the jb tree, they will never result to a user made version of jb as an official build. After all, there is a lot of traces that indicates who really made a rom and who didn't. 

That said, they could offer support for the unofficial version, but, this is unlikely.

Finally, I would like to point out that Toshiba will most likely stop support for the Thrive considering how they want users to upgrade to their Excite models and have already discontinued their Thrive.

Please note: I am not speaking officially on behalf of Toshiba, these are just my thoughts/opinions.

Device: Toshiba Thrive 10" running Jellybean (4.1.2)
Regular Contributor
Android101

Sorry for saying you sicken me. that was mean!! But i am taking those meds.LOL. The iPad is offically here. I am sad to announce to all of my forum friends that on December 25 at 12:00 i am switching over to Apple. I am sorry. I just can't trust Toshiba anymore. But i will keep posting until tha date. Sorry to disipoint!!!!

Android101
Occasional Advisor
indest

Android101 wrote:

Sorry for saying you sicken me. that was mean!! But i am taking those meds.LOL. The iPad is offically here. I am sad to announce to all of my forum friends that on December 25 at 12:00 i am switching over to Apple. I am sorry. I just can't trust Toshiba anymore. But i will keep posting until tha date. Sorry to disipoint!!!!

If you think you are hurting anyone, think again. Toshiba already has your money and could careless if you throw away the thrive in favor of an iPad or not. After all, what you do to the thrive is not important to them once you give them the greenbacks.

Also, no user on this forum will beg you to stay with your Thrive. After all, no-one should care if you use a thrive or not (since it is a personal preference).

However, if you want to be a smart consumer, I recommend you root your device and install a stable ROM. If the lack of JB bothers you, then, you have not looked hard enough. There is a JB build for the Thrive already.

Sorry for being blunt, but, I think it is something you need to hear.

Occasional Advisor
jw14211

If Toshhiba has discontinued support for the Thrive, then they should shut this support page down as well, for it's misleading, dot org would still be around.
I took no offence with your comments.
I'm currently teaching my oldest daughter to use the Thrive as is.
I too am buying another brand of tablet, for the experience with the Thrive, my first android tablet, was bitter sweet.

I might at some point root it however, since Toshiba has given up on it.

J. W. CARTER
Regular Contributor
Android101

I am not trying to get simpothy indest. I think that i am a good part of this forum. And I think it will be sad for me to leave. But it is their fault for being stupid. They should shut this down if they are no supporting the Thrive. But they are still selling it. Why I don't know. Becuase no one going to buy it. The thing is horrible
Android101
Occasional Advisor
indest

Android101 wrote:
I am not trying to get simpothy indest. I think that i am a good part of this forum. And I think it will be sad for me to leave. But it is their fault for being stupid. They should shut this down if they are no supporting the Thrive. But they are still selling it. Why I don't know. Becuase no one going to buy it. The thing is horrible

Forum admins of a major company rarely cares if a contributor decides to leave a forum.

They still have units that have not been sold, hence, why they are still selling them.

If they have the forum availble, it does not hurt them to have a subsection devoted to a discontinued device they are still trying to get rid of. After all, would you buy a Thrive from Toshiba if it was apparent that it was already discontinued?

Regular Contributor
Android101

I just think Toshiba doesn't care anymore. They are done with tablets. They are so into their laptops. They thought they could manage all these products. But they can't. That's okay. Everyone makes mistakes. But they need to be done with it. They had a good run. Now its time to end it. There are other things they make money from. Its not like they only get money from their tablets. I think they should just stick to computers and TVs and their other products. Its okay Toshiba. Its time!
Android101
Occasional Advisor
indest

You obviously fail to see their Exite Tablets...

Like Apple, they stop supporting old model (albeit, rather quickly though). 

I left Apple because they would make my iPod Touch a legacy device every year. Toshiba is trying to do the same thing. I doubt it will work because, they are not Apple. However, it is their prerogative in treating their customers so poorly.

Peter

Hi everyone,

I don't know what Toshiba's plans are for the Thrive in the future. However, I'm usually not notified in advanced of many updates.

Many engineers that work with Android do so on multiple tablets, so I do know that they keep busy.

I also wanted to pop in just to remind everyone to stay civil. No lines have been crossed yet, but a small spark and sometimes ignite, and I'd rather not see any large arguments break out.

Android101, we are sorry to see you go if you choose to leave. No, we're not done with tablets either. I'd like to see you stick with our products and continue to use the forum, but I do hope you're happy and wish you luck in the future even if you choose to stop using our product.

- Peter
Regular Contributor
Android101

I am sticking to Toshiba right now. I believe in you guys. And I know you work hard. I am sorry for he arguments and judgments i have made!!! Peter. You are great. Never leave Toshiba. You rock.

Android101