SS27
Accepted Solution

Toshiba Thrive - is anything compatible?

It's really great that the Thrive has the USB and HDMI ports--I would love to hook up a mouse (which the user guide says is possible, but the mouse has to be compatible). HDMI doesn't work with either of my HDTVs or my computer monitor.

I don't mind that the Thrive is a little thicker because it has these ports, but what good are the ports if nothing is compatible?

Please let me know if there are any products out there that do work with it--otherwise I am considering trading in for the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Regular Contributor
hb

Re: Toshiba Thrive - is anything compatible?

Someone in another thread mentioned using a USB keyboard and PS controller. If you've got a USB mouse then try it. If you don't already have one just take your Thrive to the store with you and try plugging one in.

Do you have any other devices that are working with your TVs and monitor over HDMI??  Using a known good cable?

Occasional Contributor
kittyhooch

You can use the USB for all kinds of things, even a hub should work. I haven't tried a USB keybarod but I did use a Bluetooth one. As for HDMI my older tablets have mini HDMI. It's nice to have full size. If your TV doesn't have HDMI you really might want to go shopping, expecially if you still have a CRT unit. I had an old CRT TV a few years back and a docking statioin for a smaller tablet which output S Video or RGB. It was find playing video, but if you ttried to look at a web page the megnetic yoke on the TV couldn't handle the solid colors well and pincushioned the screen edges in. It was ugly. In fact there is huge distortion with CRT compared to newer TVs, which cost less than this tablet nowadays. Most HD TVs should have HDMI. If not you can get a converter to make it output RGB or some other video format. They are not cheap though, probably $75 or so. Also you would need to downregulate your output as I believe the Thrive can do 1080p, certainly at least 720p. CRT TVs often can't do 480p but resort to 480i. 

Just remember, if you visit any friend with an HD TV and have this tablet you can plug in their TV and impress them. :smileyhappy:

fredderf81

hi! enjoying the thrive...i have used an external seagate hard drive....it did not work....sniffed around the net a bit and figured out you must format the drive...using windows er whatever, to the exFat file system...then it works :smileyvery-happy: ... i have also used a logitech usb dual action PC game controller. i have also used a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo with it...flawless. nothing needed...plug it in and it works.

SS27

Thanks so much for the support! You guys are awesome.

Now to answer some of your questions---

1. I have tried using a USB mouse (Logitech), and it does not work, though I will try the keyboard/mouse combo to see if that works

2. I have an HDMI port/cable for my TVs (both of them--Toshiba, different models, only 1 yr old), and it does not work on either--cable is Belkin, just bought at Walmart

Is there anything else I can do to get it hooked up to my TV right?

This is great news! I'm glad that other people have found things that are compatible--makes me feel better about my purchase. Especially after reading on some online forums how NOTHING is compatible with the Galaxy Tab.

SilkLike

I have two WD Portable Hard Drives and several flash drives. On these units are many documents and video files.  The video files are: AVI, MKV, FLV, MP4, and M4V.  One of the WD portable hard drives is in FAT32 format and the other is in NTFS. 

Here is where I need help. My Toshiba Thrive does not recognize NEITHER portable hard drives, nor any of the mentioned video files.  I have moved each type of video file to a flash drive (FAT32 format) which the Thrive does recognize, but the I get the message, "Cannot play video."

Keeping in mind that on of my portable hard drives is in the FAT32 format, what can I do to access these video files?

chuckpo

I've had mine for 4 days and just love it. Everything works out of the box. HDMI works both on my 24" HP Computer monitor and my 42" Visio HDTV. Maybe you have a bad cable. Mine just worked, I did nothing except plug it in. I have a 500 Gig Transend USB 3.0 external drive (formatted fat32) that is being seen by the builtin file manager. (The first time it did not, I just looked at the external SD card 32gig class 10 and then back to the hard drive and it read it quickly, not instantaneously.) I have downloaded Avatar to the SD card and it plays great! (Does however looks darker on the Vizio than on the tablet.)

I have not tried a mouse yet (don't think I ever will) but my Viewsonic G tablet case with built in keyboard was connected and the keyboard worked. The case however does not work with the Thrive, it is larger and thicker than the G Tab.

Back up with Titanium won't work due to not being rooted. I have found a free program that works almost as good! It is called "App Backup & Restore" and can batch backup all user files and data. It backs up without compression so you can backup all apk's to your computer or elsewhere. Can also email if you want.

I won't be taking mine back because it works great. I don't let any tablet set for hours on standby and I can easily turn on when needed. Most people these days like instant gratification but us old timers have much more patience.

Occasional Builder
DeeDawg

On a whim I just now plugged my TT into my 2-year old Samsung HDTV, via an el-cheapo HDMI cable. Worked perfectly. Can't say the same for introducing my TT to my MacBook Pro via the USB cable...that didn't work at all, neither in Mac OS X nor in Win XP running under VMWare on my Mac. However, when I have a minute to check it out I'm hopeful that Android File Transfer ( http://www.android.com/filetransfer/) will fix that problem.
SilkLike

Toshiba Thrive - Compatibility Issues

Why does the Thrive recognize my flash drive which is in FAT32, but does not recognize my WD Portable Hard Drive which is also in FAT32?  Additionally, I have a second WD Portable Hard Drive which is in NTFS.  When I try to convert it to exFAT (FAT64) I get a message that I will lose all my data if I reformat the drive from NTFS to FAT64.

Moving all the files to another location so I can reformat will take 28 hours (when I began that was the message I received).  It would be easier to get the Thrive to recognize NTFS, but if not, how can I reformat the hard drive without losing all my data?

Finally, I have many files downloaded from the torrent site Vuze.  Some of the files are in AVI, MKV, MP4, etc.  I can view other video files that I did not get from Vuze in these same file formats, yet files I downloaded from Vuze I can not.  Any ideas on that?

SilkLike

Re: Toshiba Thrive - Compatibility Issues

Ok, update

While it did not take 28 hours to transfer my files, it did take 4 hours.  I guess hyperbole is not limited to the human race.  Just an FYI, although the Thrive indicates it can accept SDXC cards (for which the max capacity is 1TB), the max the Thrive currently can accept is 64GB.

Next, I understand that The Thrive only reads MP4 files and all others (ex. avi, flv, m4v) must be converted.  Can anyone confirm and make suggestions?

rehandjen

Here's what I have so far...I have heard that you can reformat your exHD to read exFat and it will work. However, I only have one exHD and don't want to risk losing all of my files IF a format erases all previous memory. Also, so far, in order to transfer files into the Tablet, you need to use your computer as the medium between the two and just transfer files over. Mp4 is the only video system that works for the Thrive as far as I know (tried AVI and WMV to no avail). Bluetooth didn't seem to be consistent. Had a friend try to link to my Thrive via his T-Bolt and it was a hit and miss. Only thing I could transfer to my tablet via bluetooth was my contacts. Only audio that works as far as i know is mp3s. This is about all I have so far. Also, I heard that an update in the near future will let you read exHDs in NTFS so you might want to hold on before reformatting...just a suggestion...

Occasional Contributor
rustynail

Occasional Contributor
hlb3

Everything. I have plugged into mine has worked. Two TV's via HDMI, a Western Digital external HD, a cheap no name mouse, and a wireless Logitech mouse (which I am using right now).
SilkLike

Here is the latest; I was able to reformat one portable HD from FAT32 to exFAT.  I transferred all the data on that HD to my second portable HD (the took 4 h 34 m).  Now the Thrive does recognize my device.

As for viewing video files - all those who say that the Thrive only reads MP4, at this point that is correct.  I found and used a file converter called Sothink Video Converter  (http://www.sothinkmedia.com/video-converter/) and made a copy of my video files: avi., flv., and mov., in MP4 format.  Low and behold the Thrive - there be movies on my Thrive.

I am a novice so this was long, hard, and frustrating work - but all is working now.  Thanks for all your tips and suggestions.  

Vega

I tried plugging my TT to both of my Samsung TV (LED & LCD) via HDMI and no picture or sound. It worked on my Toshiba LCD TV at work though. Did you do anything to your Samsung TV at all?

Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

I have a samsung dlp hd tv,61 inches,and when i watched a movie on my tv yesterday thru the thrives hdmi port it worked perfectly. Fyi,my tv is like 4 years old.

Vega

Coach,

That baffles me! My TVs are both about 2 years old and I've tried every single HDMI port on both TV. I connected to the Toshiba LCD TV at work this morning  and everything was fine, so I know the HDMI on TT is working. Hope someone can give me some suggestions on this incompatibility problem.

images_69

I used the video converter as suggested, and was able to make an mp4 so I can view movies on my Thrive.  However, when I am converting VOB files the converter will make each vob file its own mp4 file, and there could be as many as 4 or 5 vob files.  Which I end up with 4 to 5 mp4 files of the same movie which I have to open individually as each portion ends.  Is there a way to take the mp4 files and merge them together so I do not have to watch each file individually of the same movie?

Vega

I called Toshiba support for the incompatible issue with Samsung LED TV for the second time. This time I spoke with someone who knows what he was talking about. He told me that it could be the refresh rate and for me to turn off the 120hz. Make the long story short, I was able to connect Toshiba Thrive with my Samsung TV after turning off the 120hz. Strange thing is after turning the 120hz back on, I was still able to connect Toshiba Thrive to my Samsung TV. Go figure!

Regular Contributor
gberpa

No problem connecting by HDMI cable to my LG lk530 series LCD and playing a HD video using QQplayer. Still need to find a way to access my home network via DLNA or other means. Anyone?