azoomm

Thrive won't boot

[ Edited ]

So, I've had a 32GB Thrive for a month or so.  I've had the epic-sleep issue almost from the beginning, but I just rebooted.  NOW - it won't wake up.  As in, it gets to the sunrise that changes colors - but never actually boots.  

I'll be on the phone with support.  

But, thought I would let the forums know of this issue.  I wouldn't care much about a reset - but, I have the videos from my vacation on it.  Dang.

[ admin changes: Subject edit. Created new topic. ]

jjarvis

Re: Thrive won't boot

[ Edited ]

DAY ONE problem for me. I also found the solution :smileyhappy: So i'll tell you :smileyhappy:

Start by

pressing and holding the Volume Up.  

Power on the device

using the volume control. Highlight the middle option(kernal reflash?) other people kow more than me

press power once to select

At the bottom of the menu is an option to clear the cache. Select that one. Do not choose the factory reset wipe user data.

then you should be good.

I tried the wipe all data factory reset the first time. Worked. The next time I tried a cache clear. and it works each time. It's happened 3 times. It's a small dix for me. This canadian firmware is BUGGY.   3.1.03.5.003

[ admin edit of subject ] 

azoomm

[ Edited ]

Update, spoke with Technical Support - they asked me to do the update.  I certainly would, if it would actually boot. It just sits and spins on the "sunrise" after the Toshiba Innovation flash screen on the boot.  I let it spin on that screen last night, it just killed the battery.  I have it charging right now, once I have a full charge I'll try it again.  I've tried a hard boot, by pulling the battery with no luck.  

They wanted to escalate my case last night, but that group is only there during the day.  The process is to have me send it in to them.  From my past experience, that means my data is gone.  I'd like to try other things first before resorting to that.

jjarvis

[ Edited ]

Have your tried clearing the cache? Doesn't wipe your personal data. Its' bad that it does this at all though.

azoomm

[ Edited ]

I just tried clearing the cache, no luck.

I'm trying to get them to give me the update file, anyone have it available for me to download and try?

jjarvis

Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

Just an FYI as to what's happening for my SoD.

I sat down to call Toshiba today and talked to their rep. At this time they do not have Tablet support in Canada YAY(With a heavy dose of sarcasim). After talking with the rep he checked into it and did put a case for me with a senior techinitian. In the mean time I'm suppose to sit by my phone ALL day waiting for a call... sigh. It's been 4 hours so far and I have things to do. I will let you know how it goes. I also mentioned the GPS Degredation issue(but that's for another thread).

smayer

Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

Jim now thay you.ve moved the thread, I'm still waiting for your thoughts on people waiting for the fix instead of returning. The msrp has dropped big as we were waiting for fix. If I would have just returned it and waited for the fix I could have also saved almost $80. How about episode coming up with a rebate for purchases prior to the latest update. Wow, what a goodwill gesture that would be. Hope to hear what toshiba thinks.
Occasional Advisor
bigredgonzo

Just a thought, because I haven't tried this option, so I'm not sure if it will allow this, but here goes anyway...

If you boot into recovery, there is an option to boot into mounted mode.  I believe it is called FastBoot.  If you cable the unit to your computer and go to the USB mount mode, you may be able to mount the device and copy your vacation vids and whatever else off and then do a hard reset.

Just a thought,

BigRedGonzo

Occasional Contributor
scottyd

[ Edited ]

I just got my Thrive from Amazon yesterday.  It has the Sleep of Death issue.

I've seen nmbers indicating versions but they don't make sense to me.

ON the Update page;

Application:  1.1.7

Android: 3.1.01.5.0018

Model: AT105

It will wake up if it hasn't slept for very long, I don't know what that time interval is.  If it doesn't wake from a click on the power button, I have to hold the power button down until it powers off( A hard kill in my opinion). Then press the power button again and it boots up.  

This is really a PITA and totally unexpected!

I just installed the "Advanced Wifi Lock Free" to see if that fixes it. 

I will post the results.

I hope Toshiba or Google comes up with a "real" fix soon.

thanks,

Scott

rgorby3123

Scottyd update your thrive, you are two updates behind and see if that fixes your SOD, the newest version ends in 32 looks like you are on 18.

Occasional Contributor
scottyd

I guess my newbie status is showing.

I went to the update page and pressed update and nothign happened.   I figured it was up to date?

I didn't realize I need to select the itmes in the list to see if an update was available?

Doing it now!

thanks,

Scott

Occasional Contributor
scottyd

OK, updates installed!!

I turned off(dissabled) the "Advanced Wifi Lock Free" application and rebooted the tablet just for good measure.

Will report back how it goes.  

BTW, the Advanced Wifi Lock Free did seem to fix problem though the WiFi would not connect right away at times when I woke the tablet up. I'll see how the latest update to Android handle that.

Scott

Occasional Contributor
scottyd

All is well now with the latest update, android 3.1.01.5.0032

I'm a happy camper!

Scott

rgorby3123

Good to hear

zschomle

My tablet was having the same issues with sleep/wakup, now it refuses to boot up as well. I tried the cache wipe and no results. I tried all the options available and as suggested above, but since I can't get a boot I can't get an update. I have searched the web for a the update on my laptop and cannot find it. Supposedly one can load an update from an external device. Oh, and my laptop (a Toshiba) won't recognize the tablet (doesn't plug and play nicely) so I can't save my photos. I have the option of mailing it in with the slight hope of not having them wipe the photos, but Toshiba wants me to pay for shipping ($25)! That's not good customer service for a product I bought less than 15 days ago and under warranty. My other option is to return the product for an exchange (and I lose my photos). Sounds like I could have the problems with another unit. I'm thinking my best bet is to go with another tablet manufacturer. Irked.
Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

Depending on your OS, you may need to have Windows Media Player 10 or greater installed for the PC to see and transfer files to your THRiVE.

zschomle wrote:
My tablet was having the same issues with sleep/wakup, now it refuses to boot up as well. I tried the cache wipe and no results. I tried all the options available and as suggested above, but since I can't get a boot I can't get an update. I have searched the web for a the update on my laptop and cannot find it. Supposedly one can load an update from an external device. Oh, and my laptop (a Toshiba) won't recognize the tablet (doesn't plug and play nicely) so I can't save my photos. I have the option of mailing it in with the slight hope of not having them wipe the photos, but Toshiba wants me to pay for shipping ($25)! That's not good customer service for a product I bought less than 15 days ago and under warranty. My other option is to return the product for an exchange (and I lose my photos). Sounds like I could have the problems with another unit. I'm thinking my best bet is to go with another tablet manufacturer. Irked.
Occasional Contributor
calberts

Hi, I downloaded. 0032 yesterday! The first day of having my thrive. I charged it over night and this morning it would not boot up. I removed the battery to get it going, spoke to tech support and they told me to do the factory reset and then monitor its proformance. I also am using the kapesky free trial. Should I expect more problems
Occasional Contributor
DJ99

I have had the SOD/random reboot issue since I got my Thrive 2 weeks ago but can't update to 0.32 because it doesn't appear to be available to us in Canada. On day 5 my tablet got stuck on the fireworks logo and I ended up doing a factory reset. I am on day 15 and still getting SOD/reboot issues (but less so since the reset) however no more locked boot screen issues.... So far. I like this tablet overall and find it inconvenient to have to do a full shutdown every time I am done using it. Any idea when Toshiba will offer support to Canada?
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

DJ99,

You can contact Toshiba Canada, Ltd. for support at http://www.toshiba.ca or visit http://pc.support.global.com for a link directly to their support website.

Jim

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

DJ99,

Just to make sure we're clear on exactly what version of the THRiVE system software you currently have, please let me know the full "Build number" as reported by the Android 'Settings' app under 'About tablet'.  

Settings > About tablet > Build number = ??

Mine says "HMJ37.01.5.0032"

Jim