richardbun

Re: Status Update & repeat request :: Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By

Seems I was wrong. It sleeps for a lot longer without the WeatherBug widget, but after several hours it didn't wake up. I still think it's one or more apps causing the problem. Of course, the OS should anticipate the condition.
Occasional Contributor
hlb3

So this is strange, it went through the night and woke up this morning just fine. I have the wifi set to "Never when plugged in", and for the first time the wifi was actually off when I woke it up, I checked the battery use graph and there was a few times over the night when it was sleeping there are some little blue areas on the wifi graph, but for the the most part it was off the whole night. I honestly do not know what is going on since I haven't changed anything since it wouldn't wake up everytime, it just started working.

Occasional Contributor
rushmore

[ Edited ]

Issue is too prolific to be a rogue app.  This is a systemic issue of the OS, Toshiba firmware/hardware, or a mix of all of the above.

Best Buy returns are apparently on the high side.

nrohluap

Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

I have this same problem.

First day or so (15-16 hours) I had no issues. After installing the July update to build HMJ37.01.5.0222, it froze the first time it went to sleep, and once or twice thereafter. Zero apps installed from the marketplace at this time.

A couple days later, and I've installed a number of apps. Tablet freezes about every third sleep (four times so far in the last few hours) whether it's plugged in or not.

I have tried the "wireless" fix ... waiting for it to sleep again to see. Just wanted to make it clear it is NOT a third-party app problem.

sharonelli

Same here. This problem has been with my Thrive since it came out of the box with no apps or widgets other than the pre-loaded ones.
o_malikin

I have the same problem. Bought thrive on Jul 10. Got this problem on Jul 11 and have it up until now. Very frustrated even though tablet by it self is really great. Now the tablet just goes down by itself when it is in a sleep mode. Toshiba, please fix it.
Occasional Contributor
Marty_Hoskins

Jim, I sent my info to you I am having the same issue as everyone else.
Occasional Contributor
hlb3

Well after sitting for 6 hours it wouldn't wake up again, it seems to be back to the every once in a while not working.
usunoro

[ Edited ]

I'm also having the same issue.  Also earlier when it went to sleep on the charger it went into a boot loop.  I had to reboot into recovery and factory restore it, then it booted up fine.

I do have the portfolio case, I wonder if it's not a heat issue?  It just woke from sleep when i had it out of the case and sitting by itself.  I put it back in the case and will try again in a while.

jim, I PM'd you my info as you asked. Hopefully this can be fixed soon, I've really enjoyed the device when i'm using it :smileyhappy:

ghostking

I just purchased my thrive yesterday and was irritated by this simple standby issue. I however believe I have found the issue. I have been using android for a long time and I know that it has many different task killing apps, one of which is "Task Killer" which comes pre-loaded on the Thrive! "Task Killer" is one of the most efficient task killers because it actually does its job unlike alot of other task killing programs. I figured that the task killer must be killing the Toshiba "Standby" function. If u notice in the options of the "Task Killer" program, there is a toggle for killing apps when the screen is powered of. I figured that was apart of the issue The Fix: (I have been testing this fix for about two hours with no need to reboot) 1. I changed my wifi disconnect settings to, "Never when plugged in" ( This step may not be necessary but this is how my wifi setting is) 2. DELETE the "Task Killer" program. YOUR ALL DONE!!! You should notice that now your power led (white led) pulses on and off when you put it in standby mode. My power led would be steady before I applied this fix.
fizzwidget

How do you delete "task killer"?
MarkWF1

I dont see a task killer in my list of apps. Even when you go into apps that are running.. Were is this task killer?

DiggerG

Well, I received my Thrive Thursday and waited until yesterday to unpack and set up. So far, it has done everything I have asked of it...except...after long sleeps, I have to reboot and on occasion, it seems to wake itself from sleep - but only after it has been asleep for a short period - less than 5 minutes.It wakes fine after short periods. I have wifi disconnect policy set to "Never" and NO other "fix" from the forums applied. I am waiting on Tosh for a fix. 

ghostking

OK guys after this morning I woke up after six hours and noticed my power led was still (no pulsing). So my above isn't a surefire answer. None the less I can leave my tablet idle for two to three hours with no reboot issues so maybe deleting the task killer achieved somee better functionality... for those of u whoncant find task killer, I'm sorry it might have not come with the Toshiba but been auto downloaded through Google being that I used to use it. however, if you have any task killing program I would advise you to get rid of it and see how things work because it has helped me lots and I can survive until Toshiba releases a fix.
Occasional Contributor
wcahill

I have had this sleep issue intermittently. I have done a full reset twice first using the software reset in the options menu and last by holding the volume up button down and powering up (from recovery mode). The recovery mode process seemed to be a bit more complete although the menu system there seems incomplete. I had to toggle down using the power button to the one yes item on the menu. I have no idea what the yes and no items on the menu were supposed to represent.

What I have noticed is that various loaded apps make a difference in how the Thrive reacts. I had been loading numerous video chat and texting apps trying to find one that works with both an Ipod Touch and the Thrive since Skype does not do video chat on the Thrive. I finally settled on Tango for the video chat which works great on both. I have yet to find a texting app that works right. Some of these apps seem to allow incoming calls or messages to wake up the Thrive. After I tried these various apps, when I placed the Thrive in sleep mode by pushing the power button the indicator light failed to blink but just stayed on while the screen slept. In all cases the Wifi light has gone out which I am hoping means that it is really off.

This leads me to think that much of this issue might be related to automatic wake-up functions in apps and may also be part of the notification process in Android. Since everyone has probably loaded different apps on their devices this may account for the different outcomes that are being experienced.

If the problem is app specific then this might be making the Thrive to crash while in sleep mode thus the failure to wake. I suspect that if this is the case, a software fix could avoid these crashes.

I would be curious about others thoughts on this issue and particularly whether or not apps seem to play a role in the problem.

Currently my Thrive seems to be working fine after the last recovery operation last night. Last night my fully charged Thrive seems to have slept thru the night and woke up fine. It was not attached to the power supply and I had put it to sleep by pressing the power button. Over night (about 9 hours) the battery went from fully charged to 91%. 

jewle

I have the 32 GB version of Thrive and am also experiencing this not coming out of sleep issue. Toshiba, I love my tablet, but this problem is both disturbing and annoying! Please come up with a fix very soon or must I return my tablet?
Micke

Hi,

I just bought two of the 32 Gb Toshiba Thrive's.

And the work-around to fix this problem with it won't wake up when charging, is..

I set it to be in "Airplane mode", when charging.

And it will never fail to wake up!

I hope Toshiba reads this.

Because it was annoying to find this out by trial and error. :-(

johnrabbithare

I have had the same problems as all of you.  After reading the forums all over I thought I would try a few things on my own to see if I could fix this problems.  I did try a couple suggestions - pulled the battery, reinserted, and restarted - didn't seem to fix anything, but don't know for sure.  What I do know is that I changed the Wi-Fi disconnect option to never and changed my screen timeout to 10 minutes.  I don't have the constant restart issues anymore.  I'm thinking it might have to do with the driver/Wi-Fi.  Just a thought, see if it helps for any of you.

BSweetness

PM sent Jim.  

Another 8 GB model experiencing the problem quite frequently.

Occasional Builder
nickbass

I am having the same problem. it is too bad because I love everything about this tablet other than that, and that the back cover feels like it is going to break every time I remove it. I have been reading the forums and many of us are having this problem. one would think that in the development of this product, testing it would have revealed such. Anyway, I read a thread that tells to disable the sinc, kill the wifi and shorten the screen time out duration, then to sleep, "unsleep", and let the screen time out. I will try this out tomorrow. it seems that this is kind of like my cell phones time out where it is not truly sleeping, and would be curious how the battery life would be affected in comparison to it actually being in sleep mode. I hope they come to a fix soon, for I will not recommend this product to anyone else and before I call it a night, i am going to change my review on amazon.com