fizzwidget

Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

Thanks, Jim, for update.  And ditto to what DrWho just wrote.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

DrWho,

I can't tell you how strange it feels to actually be hoping to experience the problem! Unfortunately, mine is working perfectly fine. 

Of course, I just got it around 10 this morning and have only been through a dozen or so sleep/wake cycles. I made a point of letting it stay asleep for 15 minutes or so the first couple of times, and for an hour during lunch... but have since been waking it every 10 minutes or so after it falls asleep. So far nothing but pride & joy, but I haven't given up hope...   ;-)

Jim

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

Looks like we have a batch problem.

Of courtse, I hesitate to go back on the setup process I have running now, since it iw working so good (there are only so many power off/power on you want to do).  I've only had a couple of out and out hard resets/crashes.

Did you have to do the update?  I didn't experience this issue until about 6 hours after I received it.

Purchased from Amazon.

Completely powered before turning on.

This was my first android device.

Downloaded update, but didn't install it (didn't know you actually had to press on a button to install - but my eyes are not that good - and the light font on white button doesn't really work that well if you don't know what you are looking for).

Proceeded to get some apps.  Tablet was not plugged in for app installation (like I said - new).

After installing apps - noticed that tab wanted the hard reset (wouldn't wake up).  I had read it all over - so knew what was happening.  After a couple of times - checked for Update (don't know what made me think of that).  Update was showing up again, so installed - with Tablet plugged in.

Now - it would hang in sleep, but pushing the button would simply cause a power off (instead of freeze and hard reboot - I had read enough and watched many tablet you tube vids to know about Power+Volume - though I didn't get any options when I did that - it just rebooted).  I would then power back on, and since it booted so quickly, didn't really mind.

But being OCD sometimes - I deviced my above approach to let the tablet sleep (unsure of tablet, hardware and battery life if continually shut down and power up).

Hopefully, you can come up with some commonality here.

DiggerG

Well, like you, Jim, my Thrive arrived this afternoon. But unlike you, it is still in the box and will stay there at least through tomorrow pending more info on the SOD fix. One possible ray of cheer is we may share the same manufacturing batch. I will be watching developments closely and hoping for a quick fix. I will say that your communication with all of us has been sorely missed, but now much appreciated.

Occasional Contributor
DrWho

[ Edited ]

LaptopNube wrote:

Looks like we have a batch problem.

It cannot be, this is a software problem.  If it's batch problem then it's hardware, and is more serious.

DiggerG

Jim did mention firmware.

Occasional Contributor
DrWho

You could patch firmware to work around hardware problem too...  I'm just hoping it's not hardware problem.

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

[ Edited ]

"It cannot be, this is a software problem.  If it's batch problem then it's hardware, and is more serious."

Hence my fix.  Most Windows sleep issues have been device oriented (drivers equals hardware).

Yes, this is a conflict between software and hardware.

Do try my fix - you will be MUCH happier.

Occasional Contributor
DrWho

[ Edited ]

LaptopNube wrote:

"It cannot be, this is a software problem.  If it's batch problem then it's hardware, and is more serious."

Hence my fix.  Most Windows sleep issues have been device oriented (drivers equals hardware).

Yes, this is a conflict between software and hardware.

Do try my fix - you will be MUCH happier.

I think I tried your method, it's the disable gps and turning off wifi before putting the tablet to sleep right?  I tried that and still gets the SOD.  If it's more than that please let me know. 

Also I think device driver equals software to operate the hardware, so if it's a a bug in the driver than it's a software fix.  If it's not a driver code bug, but the driver need to get update to fix the problem, then it's a hardware problem.  My concern is if it's hardware problem we maybe looking at limited functionality or performance degradation.  Just my guess.

*Edit*

I didn't do this step:

"Put the box manually to sleep. Wait for the light to flash. Wake it up in Locked Mode. Put it back to sleep - don't unlock (very important). You are done. Wakes up fine."

But even if that work, it's very annoying.  The problem is my wife is the user of this tablet.  I purchased as a Bday gift.  I feel funny telling her to perform a ritual to put the tablet to sleep.  In any case this problem need a fix asap for us to enjoy our tablet.  Right now I lost a heart beat everytime I try to power this thing on.

Regular Contributor
RJB_Photos

Thought I would post another observation but first I would like to commend Toshiba on their efforts in getting this problem fixed. I even received a call from Jim today unfortunately I was at work and unable to answer my phone. Now hers some things I noticed tonight. While plugged into power I let my thrive go to sleep on it's own I have my screen set to go off after 5 minutes that went fine it turned off right on schedule the best I watched and waited and 5 minutes later 10 minutes in total I noticed the blinking light pause for a few seconds longer than it normally does. I had thought that this was the point that it locked up but then it started blinking normally again so long let it sit a day at exactly 5 minutes later it is now 15 minutes since I touched it the thrive rebooted. At this point I took it off the charger and started over again 5 minutes after the screen with off 10 minutes in total the blinking light again paused for a few seconds. This is wrestling it differs 2 minutes later it rebooted. Now I have not tested this but I believe if I do not let it go to sleep by itself but hit the power button to put it to sleep it does not reboot but will lock up instead. The information will test this more tomorrow as I'm off work and will have more time to play around with things.
bradford727

Hello all,

I just received my tablet this afternoon and am experiencing the same problems you have all described. That includes the random reboots as well as the not waking from standby. Hopefully there will be strength in numbers and Toshiba can get this issue resolved quickly. I have tried the temporary fix indicated, which is to turn off both the gps and wifi and perform the standby ritual. This seems to have been both successful and annoying all at the same time, but at least its something. Anywhom best of luck to you all, I will do my best to contribute in the fix, although all i have come up with so far is everytime it reboots you have to drink.

Cheers,

Brad 

sharonelli

I have the same problems and the 'fixes aren't working for me. I have also had the tablet become completely unresponsive, requiring a hard reboot, many times in the 36 hours I've owned this thing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme of reason to the freezes. They happen on web pages, pre-installed apps, the home page, wherever. Now I'm wondering if this isn't part of the same sleep/random wake problem.
Occasional Contributor
DrWho

I advice you to return your tablet, wait for Toshiba to fix this issue then buy again. Jim is nice but them truth is I don't see a an expected fix release date, and Jim was saying that they don't have a concrete understanding of the problem and isnt ready for implementation yet. This mean release is far away because after implementation they still have to test. Typed this on the thrive and found another bug, cursor indicator is off by like 10 chars. Try typing something then move the cursor back you'll see. Apparently Toshiba didn't test their own tablet with their own forum.
token2k6

[ Edited ]

Man this really blows! I'm more concerned about the actual sleep issue that it needing a hard reboot. Yesterday, I left a fully charged Tablet on my counter, pressed the button to sleep, and when I got home, it was dead! and not SOD dead, just 0% battery b/c it booted up and then quickly gave me a warning screen and died. Very frustrating. so much for the best battery life on the market??

I really want to return this, but being out $30 for the Zagg I got installed on it makes me frustrated. I really was hoping this was going to be the penultimate tablet on the market, and I still like it, but no way am I going to put up with these issues for much longer.

And Jim, like I stated elsewhere, this is really going to start effecting sales when consumers pick up a display unit at a store and it has the SOD, saw this at 2 different Best Buys yesterday, that is pretty crazy coincidence..

This is not a batch problem at all, it has got to be software WITH hardware related and this **bleep** WiFi stuff..when you have a batch problem it effects one region or area only, I bet if we started a poll, users would be reporting all over within the US. 

flettrich2

I had the tablet since Monday the 10th. I had this problem all the way through to Wed., but have not had the problem since. ON Tuesday through Wed. The morning it was getting worse. Every time I put this thing to sleep it would never wake up. I noticed when I disabled the lock screen the problem happened more frequently. After doing some reading I decided to turn the lock screen back on, and and upped my screen timeout from 5 min. to 30, and have not had a problem since. I did nothing else different. It's been great though, and and hope it continues to work.
Occasional Contributor
DrWho

[ Edited ]

Ok I have two potential work-arounds until Toshiba issue the real fix.

I haven't tested them out long term yet, but so far I don't get > 10min  and < 20min SOD.

Method A:

1. Set Wifi timeout to never, then power off the tablet (not put it to sleep, shut it down, hold the power button until

it ask you if you want to shutdown).

2. Power it backup, make sure you can connect to the internet (just launch browser and go to google.com)

3. Put it to sleep, let the screen timeout

4. Turn it back on >10min later, it'll experience SOD

5. Hold the power button to shut it down

6. Start it up again, make sure you can connect to the internet

7. Shut it down, the official way, see step #1

8. Start it up again, from now on I don't experience SOD anymore. I have only tested this 2 times, so I could very well be wrong

Method B:

1. Download "Advanced Wifi lock" app from the app store (the free one).

2. Set it up to keep wifi on all the time (this should be the default settings)

3. When your tablet go to "sleep" you'll see that the white light will not pulse anymore

4. Techically your tablet didn't go to sleep, just your screen turn off

Let me know if any of these method work for you guy.  

I still advice people to return their tablet if they can.  I bought from newegg and their draconian return policy prevented me from returning, and Toshiba so far offer no work around, we have to figure out ourselves.

Administrator
jim

Glad you got a call but it wasn't from me. Could have easily been another 'Jim', though.  We're all over the place!  ;-)

Jim

Administrator
jim

>>Jim was saying that they don't have a concrete understanding of the problem and isnt ready for implementation yet. This mean release is far away because after implementation they still have to test.

I should clarify what I meant about testing and implementation. I was referring to implementing a fix for customers. That implementation would be the public release which, of course, would happen after the testing is completed.

What's significant about that distinction for this topic is that if testing that is currently going on is successful, the public release may be quite soon.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
DrWho

[ Edited ]

jim wrote:

>>Jim was saying that they don't have a concrete understanding of the problem and isnt ready for implementation yet. This mean release is far away because after implementation they still have to test.

I should clarify what I meant about testing and implementation. I was referring to implementing a fix for customers. That implementation would be the public release which, of course, would happen after the testing is completed.

What's significant about that distinction for this topic is that if testing that is currently going on is successful, the public release may be quite soon.

Jim

Thanks for the clarification, crossing my fingers it will be sucessful.

Can you share with us what is the focus of this fix that you guy are testing, currently I'm guessing it's the wifi, either it is having probleming going to sleep or having problem waking up.  From my experiments thus far, I am leaning toward the having problem going to sleep.

Occasional Contributor
rushmore

I do not think the issue is just if the buttom is pressed to make it sleep, since it does it for me without pressing and letting the device go sleepy on its own.