JoshSPeters

Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

I have th 16 gig Thrive and it seems to be happening the same way. I can wake it up when it's plugged in, but everytime I unplug it, by the time i get home or get to work I have to reboot it because the screen won't turn back on.

Suaveak

I received my Thrive yesterday and almost immediately it started not responding from sleep mode and also doing random reboot while sleeping. I tried the XDA fix and it worked for about an hour. So I started messing around with some of my settings and may have found a fix. In wireless setting there is an option to set the wireless disconnect policy, mine was set to when screen turns off. I changed it to never and have not a a single reboot or lockup since I made this change last night. Hope this helps, Rico
Chrissydb

Thanks for the tip Rico. I'm also having the random rebooting, so I'll give this a go and see what happens.

techrider62

I found if the the power button is pressed firmly it doesn't happen.

Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

[ Edited ]

sent pm.

This happens like mad and make it totally useless. If I didnt buy it from newegg, i would have immediately returned it, but having to pack it up and ship it out is a hassle.

please fix this ASAP.

edit:

btw, you might want to inform your tech support center about this. It's pretty widespread and easily found in a google search, yet the person I got knew nothing about it (and even less about tablets).

Doesnt make Toshiba looks very good - especially since the majority of android users are more computer savvy than ipad users.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

Thanks for that info, Rico!

>>So I started messing around with some of my settings and may have found a fix. In wireless setting there is an option to set the wireless disconnect policy, mine was set to when screen turns off. I changed it to never and have not a a single reboot or lockup since I made this change last night.

I'd sure appreciate it if everyone experiencing this issue with a Thrive could give this a shot and report back with the results in a day or so (whenever you see the problem reoccur or become convinced that it will not.)

UPDATE: This is apparently not doing the trick but we definitely appreciate the effort and sharing!

Thanks,

Jim

Occasional Contributor
wcahill

I too have seen this issue on my Thrive.  In my case it has happened irregularly and I cannot pinpoint the cause.  It has sat overnight on standby and woke just fine.  But just the opposite has occurred also,  It seems to have happened less in the last two days.  Hopefully Toshiba will identify the issue and push a fix soon.

hogman

Jim, I've made the wireless change you suggested.  I should know today if that fixed the wake up issue on mine because mine consistently won't wake up if it's been in sleep mode for more than a few minutes.  Have to do the power off/on thing to get access back.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Thanks, hogman.  <fingers crossed>

hogman

Jim, bad news.  That didn't fix the wake up issue on mine.  At first I thought it had when I was able to wake it up after it had been sleeping a couple of minutes.  But I let it sleep for about 10 minutes and had the same wake up issue.  Re-verified after I had to power it off/on again that the wireless setting you suggested was still set to "never".

Previously I tried the battery removal fix suggested in one of the forums which didn't fix the issue for me either.

So I think the hunt is still on for a workaround.

hogman

Definitely though the wake up issue seems to be time related.  If it hasn't been sleeping for more than a minute or two I can wake it up normally.  But 10 minutes or more of sleep seems to always create the wake up issue.

hogman

And if it helps, I don't think I had the wake up issue until the second update.  That also seems to be when the random rebooting started occurring. 

techrider62

Still having issue even with wifi settings changed

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

Have a weird work around, found this forum through another forum.

Have had Toshiba Lap top for almost three years.  Came with Vista, though was revamped XP model (I'm good at spotting those kind of things).

Back then, always problem going to sleep and Hibernation - in fact, I removed Hibernation from from Windows Options.

Errors would revolve around devices loading (waking) from sleep.  So I quit putting the laptop to sleep, just had the display go off, left the hard drive on, plugged in, no problems.

Upgrade to Win 7, need to completely overhaul existing drivers (running on M690g chipset - x1250 ati graphics).  Clean computer up - and this bad boy STILL keeps on chugging with games, video etc.  I do notice sometimes devices still load slower - but what's a girl to do?

No I have the Thrive.  Started Out okay, but quickly went into the sleep mode of death.  Alright6 = similarities? perhaps the fact that Toshiba has provided plenty7 of extras that are outside of the Standard Honeycomb OS (is sleep mode such a deal breaker when those poor folks who bought the Xoom are still waiting for their ports to work?)

Yes - we have conflicts, but am new to Android - so don't know any hacks, etc to monitor error messages.

Tried the battery trick, also plugged in didn't really matter - it did the sleep death while powering.  I had initally downloaded the update, but failed to install it.  The update later showed up - and I proceeded to install.

Now, what was I doing that would cause le problem with it waking up?  I noticed that either the device itself went to sleep by its lonesome (set to 5 minutes - and that was accurate), or I put it to sleep from the main screen.  What ws the Thrive trying to do when I wake it up? Bring me to the Lock screen.

So, first off, I tried the wifi off technique.  This didn't work always (but - wouldn't need to do hard reboot, it would just power off, then push again to power back on).  I surmised that the wifi was STICKING the OS via Toshiba HW (and any apps that might be running in background dependent on wifi), causing the same erros as the windows hanging from sleep mode in Vista.

Next step - make it simpler to get to the Lock Screen - so there is not so much work to do on the system.

don't run Start Place (it hangs, and you have to kill the process).

Make sure all running Apps are off (CNBC, You Tube, etc).

Turn GPS off (and leave it off), unless you need it.

Minimize your syncing to just back ups,  Only allow Local lookups.

turn wifi off, put the device into sleep mode.

After white light is blinking, wake the device up to the Lock Screen.  Do Not unlock.  Before the screen goes blank again (30 secs or so), put the device to sleep again.

I've had this since yesterday, and have had no waking problems since then.

Cliffs:

Turn off GPS, minimize syncing to only back up and restore, only permission for Local location.

When done with your surfing, turn wifi off (thise makes for really long battery life too, but I learned that from my Kindle).

Put device into sleep mode.  When power starts to blink, wake back up to Lock Screen. Do not unlock device, just put it back into sleep mode.

Hope that helps. (just woke my device up again after 2 hours to confirm this stil works).

Occasional Advisor
19ertim

Hi Jim, I turned the wifi off, let it sleep and could not wake from sleep. Thanks for getting this issue to Toshiba.
hogman

Seemed to have found the sweet spot on sleep time for the wake up issue.  If I let it sleep 10 minutes or more I always have the wake up issue.  At 5 minutes sleep I don't seem to have wake up issues.

Laptopnube, I applaud your troubleshooting but I'd have to carry a manual to remember all those steps.  LOL...

Chrissydb

I'm noticing the same as you, hogman. If it's only for a few minutes, it wakes up okay. Any longer and I've got to reboot.
CalawayCZC

Still having the issue after the wifi settings change. :smileysad:

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

You only have to turn the GPS, and set the syncing once.  Just turn GPS on only when you need it.

Otherwise, its simple - turn wifi off (click on settings from tapping time).

Manually put device to sleep.  Wake up in Locked moce (Circle on screen).  Don't unloci (move circle out of circle). Put back to sleep.

Suaveak

Just wanted to give an update to my experience with the wifi sleep policy set to never. Since my last post I recharged my thrive and found that I had no issues with it till after it was fully charged and still plugged in. Then my random reboot started again wouldn't come out of sleep mode. Well I unplugged it and let the battery drain to below 95% and now after a few hours I haven't had any issues. I have tested waking after 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, all the way up to 30 minutes after it goes to sleep with no more locking up. For those that my fix didn't help are you plugged into AC power during the lock ups? If so maybe unplugging and letting the battery drain below 95% and giving it another go. Oh and by the way, not too happy with battery life so far, but that'll be reserved for another thread... Good luck