sjwheat

Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

Ditto with my Thrive. The white status light is blinkng but pressing the On button does nothing requiring reboot like a Windows computer. Get that addressed and the Thrive competes very well against the competition.
Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

ghostking wrote:
I just purchased my thrive yesterday and was irritated by this simple standby issue. I however believe I have found the issue. I have been using android for a long time and I know that it has many different task killing apps, one of which is "Task Killer" which comes pre-loaded on the Thrive! "Task Killer" is one of the most efficient task killers because it actually does its job unlike alot of other task killing programs. I figured that the task killer must be killing the Toshiba "Standby" function. If u notice in the options of the "Task Killer" program, there is a toggle for killing apps when the screen is powered of. I figured that was apart of the issue The Fix: (I have been testing this fix for about two hours with no need to reboot) 1. I changed my wifi disconnect settings to, "Never when plugged in" ( This step may not be necessary but this is how my wifi setting is) 2. DELETE the "Task Killer" program. YOUR ALL DONE!!! You should notice that now your power led (white led) pulses on and off when you put it in standby mode. My power led would be steady before I applied this fix.
Task killer does not come pre-loaded. Maybe you logged into your google account and you synced all the apps from your other android device.
Regardless, TK is not the problem.

Occasional Contributor
ARPRINCE

I have the same issue. Just wanted to be counted.

tony_p

I actually *don't* have the sleep issue (yet). I have an 8 GB Thrive I received from Amazon on July 14th. I've done nothing out of the ordinary in regards to configuration (WiFi disconnects when screen turns off), typical apps installed, moderate to heavy usage over the last 5 days. Found this thread on Friday and have been waiting for it to strike, but so far it hasn't. Thought I would throw another data point into the mix, and offer my help if anyone wants to ask me anything specific about my model, setup, etc. Absolutely love my Thrive - it blows my wife's iPad 2 out of the water. Looking forward to a speedy resolution to this problem so everyone else here can see it in the same light I do. (Fingers crossed that I haven't just jinxed myself).

Occasional Contributor
rushmore

[ Edited ]

I hope Jim's fellow Toshiba staff appreciate how big this is becoming. Seems they would post a message, but that would only fan media flames about the issue.  Seems Toshiba are stuck until a fix is figured out and validated.

Catch 22 that will hurt sales of an otherwise great device.

richardbun

Installed Advanced Wi-Fi Lock Free from Market two days ago; used their suggested settings. My Thrive has been working perfectly since. It may affect battery life, but I'm still getting 10+ hours.
Septolo

I am having the same problem with mine. Won't wake up sometims and requires a reboot. I hope this gets resolved soon.

Occasional Contributor
rushmore

[ Edited ]

The Folio like the Viewsonic Gtablet, was made by a third part company and rebranded as such.  The Thrive is a different situation, but it is true that Toshiba bailed on the Folio, but stopped sales in channels for it.

The Thrive is in all major retailers in the US, where the Folio was rare in the US.  Toshiba would kill themselves in the US, if they tried to pull a Folio.

The gTablet sucks like the Folio, if you use the stock firmware.

bbsthrive

Here to report also having this problem times 2.  I picked up one of these on 7/10 and a family member also decided to get one the same day after I bought mine.

The very first time I recharged it (after the initial charge up) it would not come out of sleep.  I thought that was some fluke and just did a reboot and everything was fine.  Two days later family member calls and says “my tablet won’t work”.  I advised the reboot and everything was fine.

It has happened two or three more times since then to me, including now.

The interesting thing is that I am playing the radio in the background on the old time radio app and it is still playing even though the tab won’t come out of sleep.

I was getting irritated because the radio app kept stopping each time the screen went black and I would have to hit the wake up button and it would start playing again.

The last time I hit the wakeup button the radio app started playing but the screen stayed black.

So now I’m listening to the old time radio app with a black screen and the tablet won’t do anything else.  White power led is on, not blinking.  The wifi orange led is also on, not blinking.

I guess when I finish listening I’ll do a reboot,,, again.

Sincerely,

Very Irritated Thrive Customer.

Occasional Builder
nickbass

Just curious, do you have the lock screen after sleep mode enabled?
cpthansolo

I have an 8 GB Thrive that is experiencing the same problem. The aggravating part is that it's not consistant - sometimes I get the SOD, sometimes I don't. Either way, I called technical support and they were less than helpful. They asked me to do a factory reset, which I did and didn't help. Hope this gets figured out. I keep checking back here for updates, and will be continuing to call their support line.

Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

[ Edited ]

update:

Toshiba is willing to cross ship new devices to those who are having the issue (and that Toshiba contacted personally).

They might have a potential fix and need devices with known issues to test it on.

HOWEVER, the new devices they want to ship have not been tested at all, so the end result could be that you give up your device, wait a day or 2 and get back a brand new one, only to have the same exact issue.

Doesnt make sense.

I offered an alternative. 1 of 2 things.

1: Have the engineering guys work with me and apply whatever patch directly to my device.

2: Open up the tab they will send me and test it out for the bug before shipment!

Either one is very resonable (#2 probably more as I know engineers dont like to go public with such works in progress)

But yeah, the end result is that the current offer makes no sense and they just want to get their hands on a malfunctioning device. Since I'm not the only one contacted, I doubt I will have any leverage with negotiating for an alternative solution.

Occasional Contributor
ARPRINCE

[ Edited ]

I tried that WIFI fix last weeked and I thought it worked since for awhile there, it was working. Tried  15 mins, 3 hours, 8 hours and it waked up fine. Then yesterday, I had several apps open (maybe 8) and it did not wake up. Then I left it running with 2 apps and it still did not wake up.

I wish they contact me for a cross-ship and while they are at it, upgrade my 16GB to 32GB for this SOD issues :smileyvery-happy:! Ohhh well....I just want a fix ...for now.

Occasional Builder
nickbass

[ Edited ]

I think that I found the problem. Two options have allowed me to not have a problem waking from sleep mode for at least 2hrs, and will see if it works for longer. First I tried what was recommended from another post: to turn off sinc, turn off the wifi, and reduced the screen time out. I then hit the power button twice quickly to go in and out of sleep, then did nothing and allowed the screen to time out from the lock screen. I was then able to wake it up with no problem after 2hrs of sleep. Weird thing is: when I woke it up, the screen was just background with no time or unlock part (I use the pattern unlock function.) I had to touch the screen next to make these items appear. That made me think about my next troubleshoot...... I turned off the lock after sleep option, kept the wifi on, and then put it to sleep.....2 hours later it was able to wake up, which makes me think that the problem lies with the screen lock. If I find otherwise or if it works for longer I'll make another post.

********ADDENDUM********************

Ironic, I had just put it back to sleep after typing this post, only to have it not wake up again afterward, however the first thing I mentioned still works for now.

Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

looks like engadget finally picked up on this

http://www.engadget.com/2011/07/17/toshiba-thrive-experiencing-sleep-wake-reboot-issues/

Thats gonna hurt sales somewhat.

Occasional Contributor
Schatzie

Hi everybody!  I'm new to this discussion/forum.  I, too, have the sod issue but very infrequently.  I have the wi-fi disabled when screen is off setting, did away with the screen lock, AND I turned off notifications.  With these things set my problem is minimal but it is still there.  I intend to install Advanced Wifi Lock from the android market as suggested here to see if that "cures" the sod issue.  Like everyone else, I really like my Thrive for all the reasons given in many reviews but this issue is minor yet annoying and of course deserves a true fix from Toshiba!

Suaveak

I originally thought that this was related to the wifi and in the beginning set my wifi disconnect policy to never. Well it worked good for the first day or so but then I started having the SOD problem 2 or 3 times a day. I'm starting to believe that it's something more than just sleeping and wifi. I turned on airplane mode for a day and still had the problem. Here are some other issues I've had.

First yesterday morning while I thought it was asleep I noticed the power LED was flashing slowly but the wifi LED was solid on and I was hearing email come in but was not able to wake the device, it needed to be rebooted.

Second and this one was really weird, I hadn't used it for at least a hour and just happened to see it reboot, then watched as it went back to sleep then within 30 seconds of sleeping it rebooted again. It did this five times in a row, when it finished the last time I was not able to wake the device and had to reboot again.

My last issue is the glass screen is pulling apart from the bottom of the device, I'm able to push it back down but seems to pull back up with minutes.

Jim I sent you a PM as well.

Rico

bbsthrive

I have never used the screen lock.  Mine has been Off (Never lock the screen) since I took it out of the box so that definitely is not part  of the problem.

Occasional Contributor
mknewman

I'm taking mine back tonight, I'm not willing to wait for a fix.

I hate to say it but it looks like an Apple might be in my future.   I had high hopes for the Thrive.  I'm a long time Toshiba user, had a E805 in my pocket for quite a few years.

andydroid

[ Edited ]

I just want to add my 2 cents ... I received my 8GB Thrive from Newegg last Friday (7/15) and for the most part I'm extremely pleased with my choice.  However, like most I'm experiencing the same sod issues that the rest of you in this (and other) forums are plagued with.  The sod issues I'm experiencing seem very random.  Sometimes my Thrive can be put to sleep and be woke back up without any problems, other times I need to reboot the device in order to wake it up again.  Time does not seem to be a factor since I've been able to successfully bring it out of sleep after an overnight slumber, as well as experienced sod after an overnighter.  Likewise, with shorter sleep times, similar results.  Hit or miss, no rhyme or reason for the sod. 

I've tried all the workarounds suggested in this (and other) forums to no avail.  I have experience the sod with and without wifi turned on, with and without the Thrive being plugged in and charging overnight, with and without sync being turned on ... and all the other "usual suspects" speculated on in this thread.

Bottom-line, I've temporarily decided to just turn off my Thrive when I'm not using it and when I'm charging it overnight. This temp workaround sucks, but at least I'm avoiding the frustration.

HELLO ... TOSHIBA ... anyone listening?  This needs to be fixed and FAST.  You're tarnishing the good name of Toshiba and angering lots of your Thrive customers.  The net is filled with stories, blogs, and forums that are discussing this problem.  Find a solution or you may find it hard to sell anymore of these devices even at severe discounted prices.

Oh, wouldn't it be nice if you at least acknowledged that you know about this problem and ARE working on a solution?