Sy1961
Accepted Solution

Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

[ Edited ]

Well I am composing this message on my Thrive tablet. Purchased on Naval base 1 July. Guess since I'm one of the first to get one I will be the first to post a problem. When I leave the thrive in stand by and press the power button it fails r To come on and requires rebooting. Just a small quick but annoying.

fizzwidget

Re: Thrive not waking from Stand By - requires reboot

[ Edited ]

I think you will find this link helpful regarding standby/power button.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1151326

Also, this forum is thrive-dedicated. http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/forum.php

Hopefully Toshiba Support is reading this. 

rkb
rkb

I have the same problem with my 32GB tablet. This is a pretty serious and large oversight. Toshiba needs to come clean fast about the fix. After the battery swap suggested on the other site, I can make the tablet come out of sleep, but I don't have any way of logging back in...I only see a time/date in front of a backdrop.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

I've forwarded the problem reports to technical staff for evaluation.  Meanwhile, it's worth noting that user ryanp0617 at the xds-developers.com forum link above posted this workaround there:

"I fixed it by taking out the battery plugging in the tablet turning it on with no battery, then I put the battery back in and unplugged the device while it was still on it immediately noticed the battery and the sleep problem stopped happening hope this helps."

Don't know if that's a 1-time permanent "fix" but that user posted his message on 7/5 and has not since posted an update stating that the problem has returned.  (Btw, I don't know how he got his hands on a Thrive on or before 7/5.)

UPDATE: Many have reported the above-mentioned workaround to be ineffective as a solution to this issue, so I'm no longer comfortable asking everyone to give it a shot. 

Jim

CalawayCZC

Having the same issue. :smileysad: Unfortunantely, Jim's recommended fix didn't work. Seemed to work fine when I press the power button to put it to sleep manually and wake it up, but after awhile, even that stops working. I set the tablet to go to sleep after 30 minutes and it goes to sleep much sooner than that (like less than 5 minutes). And then I can't wake it up again. Seems to have a mind of its own. Hope Toshiba has a fix for this problem soon. 

fizzwidget

jim wrote:

I've forwarded the problem reports to technical staff for evaluation.  Meanwhile, it's worth noting that user ryanp0617 at the xds-developers.com forum link above posted this workaround there:

"I fixed it by taking out the battery plugging in the tablet turning it on with no battery, then I put the battery back in and unplugged the device while it was still on it immediately noticed the battery and the sleep problem stopped happening hope this helps."

Don't know if that's a 1-time permanent "fix" but that user posted his message on 7/5 and has not since posted an update stating that the problem has returned.  (Btw, I don't know how he got his hands on a Thrive on or before 7/5.)

Jim

Thanks for forwarding sleep problem to the tech guys. Hopefully this can be corrected with a firmware update. Btw, the Australian market had earlier access to the Thrive, so the mentioned user may have originated from there.)

budney

I have had this issue on two 16GB versions. This is the only major bug I have found so far, and hope it get fixed soon.

charger32

Samething has been happening to me, I tried the work around and also a factory reset. Neither worked.

Hopefully Toshiba will fix this soon, this has been the only issue I've had with the Thrive so far.

CalawayCZC

Glad you let us know that the factory reset didn't work. Almost did that last night, but even a SD card backup won't restore everything to the way it used to be and I spent a lot of time on downloading apps and app placement. Really don't want to have to do that again. :smileyhappy: Hopefully Toshiba addresses this quickly.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

If you are experiencing the subject issue with a Thrive tablet purchased in the US please send me a Private Message with the following info:

• your name
  • your contact info
  • your location (city, state)
  • Thrive base memory (8, 16, or 32 GB)
  • IMPORTANT: approximate frequency of the problem occuring
  • steps to reproduce the problem (if you can make it happen "on demand")
  • any other details you feel may be relevant

Click here to send me a Private Message.

Please stay tuned to this message board topic. I will post any updates I receive on the issue right here.

UPDATE: Please see this message for a possible workaround.

Thanks,

Jim

[ Edited to add bullet for Thrive base memory ]

charger32

PM sent.

Thanks a lot Jim

CalawayCZC

PM sent. Thanks, Jim.

tgc
tgc

Thanks Jim. Sent you a pm, since then its been happening on every lock that last longer than 30 or so seconds.
gregivq

PM sent.  This is starting to be unbearable. 

flettrich2

Same problem here...... I love the tablet, but can't stand the problem-
Regular Contributor
RJB_Photos

I have a 32gb Thrive and have this problem but one thing I seemed to notice is that it does not seem to happen while connected to the power cord but only while I am running off the battery, can anyone else test this I would be interested in the results as well as if it is true may be helpfull to Toshiba.
gregivq

I can confirm that this happens even with the power cord plugged in.

ALTERRELL77

[ Edited ]

My Toshiba Thrive arrived today and upon turning it on it stays on the android flash screen and doesn't boot up?

[ admin edit of subject ]

MR_B

I had the Thrive since yesterday & had it plugged in overnight.  Alarm did not turn on the next morning & had to force a reboot.

gregivq

This problem seemed to occur more often when used with Unlock With Wifi app