mmartin622

Re: THRiVE system software 3.2.1.31.5.0002 update released (Android 3.2)

Peter, thank you for listening.  My Thrive should be arriving this week in the mail and I will NOT upgrade until I see that these problems have been fixed.  Not more than another week?  Any ETA?

Loua

Hello, I am also waiting for my Thrive to be delivered next week.  I am also concerned of the shortcomings of 3.2 for my new device, I still want the tablet and will leave it at 3.1 if I have to.  Although I came across a comment made to one of the reviews yesterday of the Toshiba Thrive written in the Amazon.com reviews for the Toshiba AT105-T1016 , stating that if the tablet has not been used at all (it's brand new), perform an update to 3.2 first, then load up all your apps and programs including the SD card.  Unfortunate for those who already used and upgraded later.  At least this is what I have read from that comment.  I am not sure that I will upgrade mine when I get it to 3.2 until this has been verified.  If any one out there has confirmation of this, please let everyone know.  Thanks. 

marcelo_ramos

hi guys

Spoiler
do not see any update on my thrive, the model is at105-sp0101l, someone could tell me when available?

thanks

anarchius

Loua wrote:

Hello, I am also waiting for my Thrive to be delivered next week.  I am also concerned of the shortcomings of 3.2 for my new device, I still want the tablet and will leave it at 3.1 if I have to.  Although I came across a comment made to one of the reviews yesterday of the Toshiba Thrive written in the Amazon.com reviews for the Toshiba AT105-T1016 , stating that if the tablet has not been used at all (it's brand new), perform an update to 3.2 first, then load up all your apps and programs including the SD card.  Unfortunate for those who already used and upgraded later.  At least this is what I have read from that comment.  I am not sure that I will upgrade mine when I get it to 3.2 until this has been verified.  If any one out there has confirmation of this, please let everyone know.  Thanks. 

FWIW I was in this scenario, almost brand new tablet with barely one day of usage before I got the upgrade. Outside the need to force a reboot by taking the battery once during the upgrade, I have had few other problems. Of course that does not include the hardware problems of cracked screens - but I am sure 3.2 had nothing to do with that.

Aaronm

Hi can you advise when update will be available in new Zealand Thanks
Occasional Contributor
theswimmer

[ Edited ]

I am very disappointed by this update, especially by the lack of update information. two major things that happenned are that my wifi remains on while in standby- in the previous version wifi seemed to be switched off in standby mode.

Secondly is that i am no longer able to write on SD card via Quick Office Pro. this is because the developers decided that there is no need to 'write' to sd card.

i am urging the developers to revert to the original permissions as we were not aware of the propper update modifications and others, out here, have the need to write data through the tablet. these features made me choose a thrive. now i have been restrained from the full capabilities of the tablet.

Occasional Contributor
theswimmer

[ Edited ]

Re dvirgil post number 81

What research? when updating an app, there is a detailed list of modifications. i do not recal that there was anything mentioned regarding the modifications on read/ write permissions on sd card and wifi remaining on while in standby mode!!!!

kenjdawg

[ Edited ]

This is in response to dvirgil's patronizing comment on 11/22.

First, it's not as simple as saving a file here and there to my internal.  I have dozens of different files I work with every day either on my laptop or on my tablet depending where I am on any given day.  I used to be able to sync everything up quickly with Freefile sync.  Now I have to drag my stuff back and forth between my internal and my sd drive so I can work with it.   It's time consuming and a royal pain. 

Also, your argument that this is just the way it is and we should deal with it is totally bogus.  Tablet manufacturers don't market their tablets as works in progress that require you to deal with a bunch of crap every time they fiddle with the system.  It's fine if they want to build their systems on the backs of expert users who know what they are getting into, but to build it on the backs of those who don't have the time to waste on these types of problems is total BS.  So get off your high horse and stop being such a patronizing putz.   

Occasional Contributor
Aceisback

Put the blame on the responsible party, not the hardware vendor. Problem with all of this is that GOOGLE's android programmers broke the Thrive, not Toshiba. The Thrive is working as it is was designed. Yes, it is now up to Toshiba to correct the issue for their own hardware, but it may take time to make sure it is right.

Other brands of tablets have had their issues also with this update. I think the NO WIFI is far worse than the SD card issue.

The easiest way to fix the problem now is to ROOT, apply a simple fix and be happy. Rooting is not hard if you follow the directions and pay attention to the details.

After the 3.2 update (via root) I had to replace some of my apps with new ones because the app itself would not access the new sdcard mount location, whereas another app providing the same function will.

Complaining here will not fix the issue across platforms since it is the Android OS that changed, we need to complain to Google as well. Realize also that when ICS comes out, we will all be the beta testers across all hardware platforms.

Occasional Contributor
dvirgil

thankyou!! finally someone sees this correctly,,most end users dont know where to direct their anger because they dont understand the process involved, so they run to the manufacturer.Instead of hating, be grateful forums exist and you can use them as your supposed to ,,for a database of shared knowledge and learn. Thanks for the back up. wahahahaa..hohoho HAppy holidays!!!

Occasional Contributor
Zenlore

[ Edited ]

Aceisback wrote:

Put the blame on the responsible party, not the hardware vendor. Problem with all of this is that GOOGLE's android programmers broke the Thrive, not Toshiba. The Thrive is working as it is was designed. Yes, it is now up to Toshiba to correct the issue for their own hardware, but it may take time to make sure it is right.

Other brands of tablets have had their issues also with this update. I think the NO WIFI is far worse than the SD card issue.

The easiest way to fix the problem now is to ROOT, apply a simple fix and be happy. Rooting is not hard if you follow the directions and pay attention to the details.

After the 3.2 update (via root) I had to replace some of my apps with new ones because the app itself would not access the new sdcard mount location, whereas another app providing the same function will.

Complaining here will not fix the issue across platforms since it is the Android OS that changed, we need to complain to Google as well. Realize also that when ICS comes out, we will all be the beta testers across all hardware platforms.

Thank you for a mature way of pointing people in the right direction, I am not gonna beat a dead horse on this discusstion anymore on who's fault it is, cause  I pretty much know already. Though I would love to know Aceisback could you be so kind as to point the forum to a good site with directions on rooting a thrive tablet.

Occasional Contributor
Aceisback

At least by what I have seen personally, most end users want something that works and will always work out of the box. In this case, people bought a Thrive which at the time of purchase worked perfectly (for most). Then an update comes along and the individual applies the update which in turn ends up causing issues. Now they are mad and forget that they themselves applied the update without waiting for others to try it and post their successes and failures. It is normal to get frustrated at this because the fix is out of their hands. You yourself are to blame if you jump on the next newest and greatest piece of software. Beta testing DOES NOT take place through the vendor, it takes place through the consumers (look at Windows, IOS4 and IOS5, they all had issues when the new versions first came out).

BEFORE doing any updating, it is important to to hold off and do a little Googling to see if anyone has had any issues or not. When you are happy and ready to make the jump, then do it. Who knows, you may be the one to discover a whole new issue:smileyhappy:!

I don't know why people don't root their systems when these issues arise as the fixes are usually discovered by the individuals in the rooting community well before a vendor sends out a patch. I can honestly say that my Thrive is running so much better and smoother since I have rooted it, I have control of it, not Google, and not the Toshiba.

Realize also that our Thrives as well as other brands of tablets were outdated and pretty much obsolete at the time we bought them. We'll never be able to keep up with the updates and changes in the computer equipment we buy. There is always a newer and better model waiting to be pushed out.

Occasional Contributor
Aceisback

Zenlore,

Here is where I do all my ROOT shopping:

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/forum.php

Start at the Toshiba Thrive Hacks section

There is a lot of good information and everyone is very helpful.

Occasional Contributor
Zenlore

Aceisback wrote:

Zenlore,

Here is where I do all my ROOT shopping:

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/forum.php

Start at the Toshiba Thrive Hacks section

There is a lot of good information and everyone is very helpful.

Thank you, I am off to do a bit of reading. Everyone is entitle to their opinion to who's blame it is. I'll let others discuss that, I am more interested in fixing this then typing responses LOL Thank you again Aceisback

Occasional Contributor
Aceisback

If you have any questions over there, feel free to ask. Everyone is extremely helpful and positive minded.

Occasional Contributor
Aceisback

I forgot that if you have already updated to HC3.2, you will no longer be able to root the Thrive. Toshiba has yet to release a rollback for people who need to downgrade the OS.

Occasional Contributor
Zenlore

Aceisback wrote:

I forgot that if you have already updated to HC3.2, you will no longer be able to root the Thrive. Toshiba has yet to release a rollback for people who need to downgrade the OS.

Just found that out from reading some of the forums that yah past me, sadly rooting is useless to me then, ..but I have to still Thank you, cause you actually pointed me in the right direction so I could figure out how to actually get my wifi to stop going on and off at least at home :smileyhappy: with 3.2 installed, seems if you program the Thrive to go for a Static Ip on Wifi it will stay on it. At least my bugged Thrive so far has. Crossing fingers, so far so good.

Occasional Contributor
Aceisback

Check in to the other forum periodically as it is pretty active with troubleshooting.

rf3
rf3

PLEASE GIVE US A ROLLBACK!!

stg213

Ok so 3 weeks after the 3.2 update:

1st: I don't use a SD card so I can't comment at all about that issue

2nd: i can confirm the WiFi "sleep" delay (in some cases it doesn't go to sleep at all) consuming more battery than before the update.

3: response times got better from most apps after the update

4: I also have a problem with WiFi being unstable. Symptom = it looses connection then says it's "turning off" but never does. Only a tablet reboot can bring it back. (sometimes turning airplane mode on/off also helps, but rather only in 30% of cases).

4.1: on a brighter note, WiFi seems to work better on low signal than before, more bandwith, faster streaming

4.2: on the downside "turning off forever" problem only seems to occur when there is low signal strength -> the connection gets lost many times but sometimes the tablet just goes into a loop it can't recover from and the "kill signal" never times out.

4.3: I've had this problem also before the 3.2 update. After the update it seems to happen more often though, and WiFi in general seems less stable.

5: I've also noticed "Market" problems... but those where there before the 3.2 update also. The latest annoyance is "Adobe Flash" being listed as "not installed" at the bottom of the "my apps" list. Clicking on "install" triggers short activity on the action bar then stops. There is no "uninstall" option available, only "uninstall updates". Flash is working though...

Proposal:

How about a data collection tool for problems like this with an app to gather / send data to toshiba ?

The app should trigger a memory dump on a selected process (or other diagnostic data like process dumps, tracing, etc.), and save it on the flash drive. Then open a form for "send to Toshiba" with a field to describe the problem and why the dump was created and sent.

The tool should be an optional download, also with the option to uninstall it at any time (no forced crap). With advanced settings but also a basic mode.

Finally the app would upload the data with transparrent info about what was uploaded (like Android version, which apps are installed, which apps where running when the data was gathered, google account that made the upload) then delete the data locally.

Instead of screaming for a roll-back (which makes absolutely no sense) let's actually help out with fixing the issues. It's not like this OS is running on 10.000 different hardware versions... it's only one goddamn WiFi adapter with one driver...

Ok there may be more SD Card vendors, but there's one reader with one driver attached to it...

Synthetic pre-release tests can't compare to real life data... and it's also not like there's a million settings we can make on the thrive. It's clear that we get similar errors because of various apps running code that the driver/kernel combination can't handle.

And it's also not like Toshiba needs to build these tools from scrach... the tools are there, they're just not packaged in a user friendly app.