forgedcbuser
Accepted Solution

Screen Protector

I bought the Toshiba branded 2-pack but after I put it on I noticed there was a crease in it that wouldn't sit properly (flat to the screen).
Here are pics of what happened after I removed it...
It left residue the entire face of the screen...almost like adhesive.
The screen is totally covered with a cloudy glue-like substance.
It was supposed to come off clean...the package even states 'easy to remove, no sticky residue'.
Sent an email to the vendor and am sending one to Toshiba directly as well... 

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Re: Screen Protector

No one here has ever seen anything like this, after many applications and removal of the screen protectors as part of the product qualification process.

Any other clues you can provide regarding possible special circumstances?  If you used any cleaning materials on the screen while the protector was on, let me know what it was.

Jim

Occasional Advisor
19ertim

I returned my first Thrive. Before doing so I removed the Toshiba screen protector. I had the same residue around the black edges. Using Zagg now.
forgedcbuser

I didn't use anything before I applied the SP...just wiped it with a microfiber cloth and used canned air to blow off any dust.

I only had the screen protector on for ONE WEEK and it did that!

the residue is very hard...I tried rubbing it off with a towel and even trying to scratch it off with my fingernail but it actually feels HARD and I couldn't even cut thru it!

***I called Toshiba customer service and the rep I spoke with (Mikalla) was extremely insensitive, dismissive and rude...kept interrupting me mid-sentence with the statements below:

• she actually accused me of putting it on and taking it off improperly...lol...seriously??? like there is a 'technique' for removing a sheet of plastic film...
  • she accused me of 'using too much force to apply and remove' the SP
  • she BLAMED me for even wanting to put the screen protector on...no matter that Toshiba RECOMMENDS the use of their SP to prolong the life of the screen (on their accessories site)
  • she stated that the screen protector was from a 'third party' so she would not help me (even though the SP is Toshiba branded!)
  • she said that even with the residue on the screen, the tablet should still work perfectly fine

***Called again and another (friendlier) rep said that Toshiba Accessories would handle any issues (hopefully)

We'll see what happens next... 

forgedcbuser

So you returned the the first Thrive because of the SP residue?

How did you remove the sticky film?

forgedcbuser

I'm assuming that it's easy on and off if it takes a few minutes to apply it...re-adjusting extracating air-bubbles, etc.

but leave it on for a week and you'll see.

I've applied dozens of screen protectors on my cameras, iPods and phones...even a droid tablet from China...and NONE have left any sort of substance on the screens...absolutely zero.

Occasional Advisor
19ertim

I returned because of a hw defect. I removed the screen protector before I shipped it. The glue or residue was covering the sides. You are correct about the composition. It can't be removed easily. I tried alcohol and adhesive removers. No go
forgedcbuser

ugh.

Now what to do...stuck between a rock and some hard places...

• if I try to get it off and damage the screen i'm SOL
  • afraid to use strong chemicals that may potentially harm the screen
  • Toshiba support can't/won't help
  • don't know what other options I have...legal or otherwise...return, chargeback, exchange?

Occasional Contributor
anagnorisis

Have you tried using "Skin so soft"? . Yes you heard it correctly. It gets adhesives off very very well.

forgedcbuser

Still awaiting a response from the vendor which sold the items to me.

What really is disappointing is that I was going to bring the thrive with me to HI this Fri and now I can't...back to the boring netbook.

PM sent and thanks for the help.

forgedcbuser

Jim...THANKS for getting support to contact me...hooray.

Jana (very friendly...unlike Mikalla) recommended that I send everything back to Toshiba so they can examine the problems.

Wonder how long all this will take...haven't used my Thrive for at least a week already waiting on responses... 

Nisaus

Hi, I just removed the screen protector as I wanted a Matte one with less resistance to finger movement, and I encountered exactly the same problem.

My Thrive's screen is now impossible to be used. Could you let me know what I should do?

Thanks!

jimshelley

I had the EXACT same problem but was able to remove the residue (about 98% of it) using Goo Gone. I then used a little windex to remove the Goo Gone.

I'm a little worried about the the long term effects of Goo Gone on the screen though. Is this a glass or plastic screen?

BrianLide

Well, I’m in the same boat. I had a couple of specks of dust from when I first installed my Toshiba screen protector and it was also very slightly crooked. Tonight, I decided to rectify that. I removed the screen protector to clean and reposition it. Lo and behold, I discovered a nasty residue all over the screen of my month old Thrive. I’ve never seen this happen on any devices I’ve removed screen protectors from. What do I do now? How do I go about sending it to Toshiba to be fixed/replaced? Any ideas how long it will take? One reason I purchased it was that I have returned to school and intended to take notes on it in class. I’m not looking forward to lugging my 17 inch Toshiba laptop around campus.

Occasional Advisor
epags

It's glass.....see FAQs or read the manual.  Try using a dampened paper towel with either of the materials mentioned or use the paper towel dampened (not dripping) with rubbing alcohol.

I just put my protector on two days ago and haven't had any reason to remove it....love the lack of fingerprints vs those that I got on the glass screen.    time will tell.

RadioFreeDerek

I have a Thrive with the exact same screen protector (Toshiba branded) and just had the exact same experience. Sticky film all over the tabelet screen now.  

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

jim wrote:

No one here has ever seen anything like this, after many applications and removal of the screen protectors as part of the product qualification process.

Any other clues you can provide regarding possible special circumstances?  If you used any cleaning materials on the screen while the protector was on, let me know what it was.

Jim

Looks like the Vendor cheapened the materials AFTER testing (these were sold for lower price on Amazon, mass ordering from there.) I ordered them, but started seeing some reviews with them on - and decided to not apply and return. So very glad, I prefer the microfiber screen cloth right next to tab, computer desk.
pchies

This happened to me, curious is that only in my wifes tablet... not in mine

etsr

[ Edited ]

SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS SCREEN PROTECTOR CAN'T SEE WHERE ANYONE HAS GOTTON THIS RESOLVED. PLEASE HELP.

[ admin edit to remove email link ]

Occasional Contributor
ARPRINCE

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem but I used a BELKIN SCREEN protector. I was able to remove close 90% of the smudge by using water and 2 micro fiber cloth. So spay water on one, scrub on the residue (you may need to press your nails

with the mf cloth), clear it and follow up with the dry mf cloth. 

The main screen is clear but the outer border of the screen still have residues. Since I'm using the Toshiba Case, you don't see it at all. 

It was hard to remove it. I only stopped because my fingers hurt already and I was able to clear the viewing screen totally. One good thing about the unit is the screen is tough. I did not get a scratch at all.

I'll post a pix soon.

BTW, I tried using alcohol and a goof-off you can buy at homedepot with no luck.