32g
Occasional Contributor
32g

SD Card won't work properly after update from 3.1 to 3.2

The update from 3.1 to 3.2 has left my Thrive tablet apps unable to write to the SD card. The main resaon I selected the Thrive is for the SD Card access.

Why would they release an upgrade that destroys a key feature?

The app to restore 3.1 does not work. Is there an app or upgrade to correct the SD Card R/W access problem?

kilohertz

Re: SD Card won't work properly after update from 3.1 to 3.2

My 16g SD card works fine after the upgrade. 

32g
Occasional Contributor
32g

Do you use adobe reader (PDF)?

After the update, adobe reader did not display all files in all directories as it did before.

Occasional Advisor
bigredgonzo

This is an issue that really deserves some attention.  The 3.2 upgrade had made my Thrive unusable for practically any work related use.  Let me lay out what I have found...

Stock file manager will read and write to the external SD card.

ES File Explorer, Astro, and IO will not write to the external SD card.

Jota Note Editor will not write to the external SD card.

Documents to Go will not write to the external SD card.

QuickOffice will not write to the external SD card.

I have tried several other apps that will not write to the external SD Card.

Tech support was no real help.  They first wanted to know how I got 3.2.1 on my Thrive.  The wanted to know if I was rooted.  I told them that I accepted the latest update and the response was, "What update?"  Of course, they had me reset my unit.  Which didn't help, but did allow me the fabulous task of reinstalling everything and setting it all back up...Arrrgh!!  They also had me download a file to allow me to roll-back to the previous version, which did not work.  I think they were wanting me to roll back from 32 to 11.  Finally they decided that I had a bad unit.  I explained that it worked fine up until the last update and that there were several posts in several forums about this very problem.  They replied with, "Oh!!  We'll call you back on Monday."  I bought this thing new and paid over $500 for it.  I love it, but really need it to work properly.

If a forum manager reads this, can we get some sort of status on this issue?  The only real change that I have seen from the 3.2 upgrade was that it broke write access to my external SD card.

Thanks,

BigRedGonzo

JaneSpau

[ Edited ]

I wonder if this is the reason my images (from G+) are not showing up.  Could they have been on the SD card?  I am so new to all of this, having bought my unit on Nov 4th and never having owned an Android device, I am totally lost.  

I did post this question in it's own thread but have been reading other posts about the upgrade to look for clues.  I have no idea of how to even check the ability to write to the SD card, nor have I been able to figure out how to do anything with it save for copying my back-up files to it.  I knnow what you mean about tech support.  I have not had really good luck with them either.

Regular Advisor
charlesd45

I had my navigation program on the SD card with 3.1 and it worked fine.After 3.2 it will not run the program.It shows on the SD card when mounted to the Thrive.But thats about it. Copied the file and put back to internal memory and it works ok.Will go back to SD card when a fix comes out. 

bp1753

[ Edited ]

I'm having a similar problem. Stock file manager will read/write to SD card. Installed apps can read, but not write to the card. Ex.:

Documents To Go: Reads, will not write.

Quickoffice PRO HD: Reads, will not write.

IP Cam Viewer, will not export camera backups.

All work OK with internal storage. All "paid for" apps. All will read from SD card.

When connected to PC via USB the file system for the whole machine is "seen" as multimedia. (Headers are Name, Type, Size, Track, Artist, Album, etc. rather than normal file system)

Copying a doc file from the PC results in a pop up warning: "The file 'myfile.doc' may be copied to the device for storage or transport only. It is not supported for use on the device itself. Do you wish to copy the file to the device anyway?"

Machine was never rooted. In fact it was essentially new, I'd had it for 3 days when the 3.2 update came out.

=============    Edit...

OK, found the following... Seems Google has decided the SD card should not be an application writable device. SD card support for previous versions of Android 3.x (prior to 3.2) had SD card support that was added by the hardware manufacturer. (Toshiba in our case...) Version 3.2 adds "native" SD support, but apparently READ ONLY for applications... From http://blogs.computerworld.com/18692/android_32_upgrade :

==================

"Big picture stuff aside, one of the most noteworthy changes in Android 3.2 is the long overdue addition of SD card support. While some tablets -- the Asus Transformer and Toshiba Thrive, for example -- have supported external storage from the start, those instances have been the results of manufacturer-made software modifications.     .......   Take note, though: With Android 3.2, SD card support means something slightly different than what it's meant in the past. Whereas Android smartphones treat SD cards like regular drives, with full read and write access, Android 3.2 tablets view external cards in a much less PC-like manner. In short, apps can read an SD card -- but they can't write to it.

The reason: Google has switched to a new protocol for SD card handling in the 3.2 release. The thinking seems to be that with the high amount of internal space provided on Honeycomb tablets, most users will be turning to SD cards for purposes like media storage as opposed to application and app data storage. With that mentality, writing data from a tablet to an external card becomes less important, and a simplified user experience -- one that's less dependent on a user's understanding of file system structure -- becomes a higher priority.

To be clear, you can still write to a mounted SD card via your PC, using a USB connection; you just can't do it from the tablet itself. That means in an Android file manager utility like Astro, you'll be able to browse through the SD card and access its files, but if you try to copy files to the SD card or edit any SD-card-stored files, you'll find those options to be grayed out and unavailable."

===================

Given that I have a 8GB unit, and I bought it as essentially a "light weight" (both physically and functionally) laptop substitute, the inability read and write to the 32 GB SD card I bought for it is unacceptable... Copying files over to internal memory to edit, then copying back to SD with the "Native" file manager is way too cumbersome... Not interested in a 10.1" glorified MP3 player here....

Toshiba reps... NO WARNING was given in the 3.2 update notice that external storage, both the built in SD card slot and, apparently from my tests today, USB flash drives would become READ ONLY...

Need a rollback to 3.1 here, or a kernel mod update to make SD Slot and Flash drives writeable...

Occasional Contributor
dvirgil

i totally agree, this is quite dissapointing!!! Not having a writeable external drive totally defeats the purpose of why people are buying this tablet and others with external drives. I would imagine Toshiba and Asus would be quite upset that they put all this effort into external drives on their tablets, that now arent writeable,,Instead of Android becoming more uesable it has fallen back, to being basically for  newb media types, and not the business or even educated user that wants to use this more than just a toy for videos and music,,,How sad!!!! i was thinking of getting the new Excite, but if this remains an issue in Android, I'll wait for  Windows 8 Tablets to hit the market in second half of 2012.

Occasional Advisor
bigredgonzo

Ok, Toshiba Folks (moderators, employees, etc..,)

Can we get some sort of response from Toshiba about this?  This change has taken a quite powerful work tool (at least in my case) and hobbled it to the point where I don't care to have it any more.  As stated by an earlier poster, I don't need a glorified mp3 player.  I purchased this to work.

Please be courteous and get us some sort of comment.

BigRedGonzo

Occasional Contributor
dvirgil

[ Edited ]

If i understand correctly..the thrive can still copy/paste(write) to the external drives if using the stock file manager. But apps cannot write to external drives. Which means any file saved must be moved manually to the external drives. Is this correct? I guess thats not so bad since yo can move files manually...but still a dissapointing.

EDIT:

Hers what i learned from reseaching this more...With 3.2, Google changed the permissions settings for the external sdcard. It is still mounted r/w, but only the media_rw group (apps that request the WRITE_MEDIA_STORAGE permission) has write access.  The problem, though, is that many apps haven't been updated to request this permission so they only have read access.  Developers of apps i'm sure will start scrambling to add this to their apps as an update as the word gets out of the change. So i think this may become a non issue at some point....

Occasional Contributor
rhea

I don't have an external drive so I can't relate to that. I can use Docs to Go and Office Suite to write to the external card (now /mnt/sdcard2). I used Astrofile SMB network to copy a video to that card from my PC today. I also used Aldiko to wirelessly transfer books to that card today. I haven't had the 3.2 very long and haven't used everything. I'm not saying that there might not be problems; however, I have been able to write to the sd card as stated. Although I didn't have to do so, you could try clearing the cache and restarting the app. Browse to the sdcard2 location and see if that will help. The cache from the old may be interfering with the new. Just a suggestion.
Occasional Contributor
dvirgil

Just fyi when i say external drives i mean any memory other than internal,,(sd,usb,etc)

Occasional Advisor
bigredgonzo

rhea wrote:
I don't have an external drive so I can't relate to that. I can use Docs to Go and Office Suite to write to the external card (now /mnt/sdcard2). I used Astrofile SMB network to copy a video to that card from my PC today. I also used Aldiko to wirelessly transfer books to that card today. I haven't had the 3.2 very long and haven't used everything. I'm not saying that there might not be problems; however, I have been able to write to the sd card as stated. Although I didn't have to do so, you could try clearing the cache and restarting the app. Browse to the sdcard2 location and see if that will help. The cache from the old may be interfering with the new. Just a suggestion.

I'm glad its working for you.  You are the only person that isn't rooted (I assume that you aren't rooted) that I have found that could do this.  I have physically tried this on three different units, mine and two others, that have received the update and none of the three could write to the mnt/sdcard2 location with Docs to Go or a file manager other than stock.

As someone else stated, I can use the stock file manager to copy files back and forth between locations, but that just opens another path for error and it also increases what has to be done to work on a particular file.  I still feel as though this is an issue that needs to be addressed or at least Toshiba should provide a path to allow us to revert back to 3.1.

Thanks for the info,

BigRedGonzo

rockhunter

This seams to be a problem that only Toshiba has created. my family uses Dell Streak 7, Acer A500 and the Thrive all in manufacturer configuration HC3.2  and only the Thrive exhibits this issue with SD/microSD cards Dell and Acer seem to have ignored Google's write privilege restriction.  I sincerely wish Toshiba would correct this it is a big nuisance.

Occasional Contributor
dvirgil

Rockhunter you are quite wrong,,do some research and searches and you will see many manufacturers are having problems with 3.2....

Occasional Contributor
theswimmer

[ Edited ]

Dear All.

I have the same problem and posted elswhere. just missed this post.

i have noted some things which might help solving this problem.

i totally agree that r/w on sd and usb influenced me in buying the thrive.

i also noted that the usb won't even mount after the update.

I have noted that the internal memory of the tab is named 'sdcard' and is present in path  /sdcard.

I also noted that the physical sd card is present in a directory /mnt/sdcard2.

In the /mnt directory, there is also present the same file 'sdcard' which contains the same files as that in the internal memory of the tab. path:- /mnt/sdcard.

I believe that these file names are misleading or confusing.

with the help of HD File manager, i noted that both dir /sdcard and /mnt/sdcard have read and write permissions whilst dir /mnt/sdcard2 only has read permission.

i guess that the file /mnt/sdcard (which is a mirror of /sdcard) might be conflicting.

i hope that this info will be usefull in resolving this problem. i desperatly need to write on the sd card through other applications such as HD quick office Pro which is a paid app.

Kindly read messages 64 and 66

AWil

Thanks for pointing out the media_RW groups permission!

I found the same thing.

The USB port has 'root' permissions, while the SD-Card has 'med' permissions.

That explains why the filemanager app, as well as Ghost Commander, ES File Manager, all have write issues.

Reading from the SD-slot is fine.

Anton

Occasional Contributor
theswimmer

[ Edited ]

Re dvirgil's post number 10

I totally disagree with your reasoning. do not set up standards for the general public, like if 'most people' use the tab for media, than google or whoever just 'decides' that the sd card shall have read write permissions only for media and not for data. I also wish to point out that many users have different applications running. there are thousands of apps. so one great guy turns up, messes with the reasons for what i choose the thrive, and than you mention that it is up to other developers to update the apps. this is upsurd. some 'standards' of operation should never be changed otherwise the android platform will never run smoothly. i am a self employed person and the thrive helped me organize my life again at work since my palm pilot stopped working. having office files saved on the card saved me from having duplicates from syncronizing, the actual syncronizing process and always work on the original file. tablet to pc and vice versa. now my life has been flipped to hell just for some idiot, pardon my languge, who decided that the thrive has enough internal mem and that there is no need to write on the sd card anymore.

james.

ps. nothing personal, just repling to the post.

Occasional Contributor
theswimmer

can anyone briefly explain what these abbreviations mean in the context of permissions

d--, dr-,  drw, -r-

thank you.

james

Occasional Advisor
bigredgonzo

Moderator,

Can we get a comment from Toshiba on this?

BigRedGonzo