wbmccarty

SD Card Won't Mount

I've never been able to get an SD Card to mount in my Thrive. I have the latest software update, on a non-rooted unit. Recently, I've tried both a 16 GB (SanDisk Ultra SDHC 15MB/s) and 32 GB (Transcend SDHC Class 10) SD Card, both regular rather than micro cards. Both cards work happily under Windows and in my phone. Using Windows 7, I formatted each of them using ExFAT and performed a full, rather than quick, format using a 32kb allocation unit size.

When I touch the Mount SD Card button in the Storage tab of the Settings app, the button briefly changes color; otherwise nothing happens. No progress bar. No error message. Nothing. In particular, using Astro File Manager I can't access a test file I wrote on the SD Card after formatting it.

I've Googled and searched this issue extensively and learned a lot. Perhaps I've overlooked the message(s) offering a resolution. I'm at a loss for what to try next. Without SD card capability, my Thrive is pretty much useless to me.

Can anyone offer a solution, workaround, problem resolution strategy, or simply something to try?

Thanks for any help.

Cheer,

wbmccarty

Re: SD Card Won't Mount

I rebooted after the last test and the SD card mounted automatically. I have no idea. . . .

wbmccarty

Okay, now I can mount, and more or less unmount, the 32 GB SD card. BUT. . . 

I can't access the card using Astro, which tells me no directories exist. Now, that is true enough. And, Astro helpfully offers to create some directories. But, the operation fails because the SD card is apparently mounted read-only; writes are disallowed.

What's a Thrive newbie to do at this point?

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

Google changed the write permissions for external storage and only native apps (generally) have write permissions, you will need to use Toshiba's File Manager to create files/directories or copy files to the SD Card.  Some manufactures have fixed it, but Toshiba is waiting for Google to make the change (which to my knowledge they have not yet done).