Occasional Contributor
fingers

Re: Replacement for cracked screen

I have a friend who has had to replace two glass screens on her ipad in the past 3 months. $200. each time.  Broke one just by pickng her ipad up by a corner. I broke my Thrive screen too, but I did it by dropping it about 18" onto one of it's corners.  It is in a Toshiba Thrive folio. Ordered a new screen that arrived today for $160. Will change it out ths weekend.

safaritom

What happens when that screen cracks? How much should one invest into a defected product? The cost of two replacement screens can buy another brand tablet...

Jesusr520

I just got my tablet a couple months ago, only use it a few times, took a great care of it, perfect condition and as others never drop it. Suddenly a cracked on the screen, my wife called Toshiba it was a waste of time, very disappointed, would not recommend this or other product to any of my clients, friends, or family. I have being a client for many, many years until now Toshiba.
Occasional Contributor
fingers

I don't know if any of these screens are "defective". I think our expectations may be outpacing technology though. It amazes me to have this type of power in my hands. I think all manufacturers may be shaving a little on the buid quality to make their price points.

WhattNoww

Where did you find a screen for 160?? Toshiba quoted me 190 and a 4 month wait!! And another repair place quoted me 230 and 99 for the repair. I tried to replace the screen on my iPod touch....that was tragic. It is now sitting in parts. :smileysad:

I need help. My story seems to be similar here. I too woke one morning after only owning it for a month and a half. (Not even finished paying for it yet) and there was a crack in it!! I have a hard case, etc....   :smileysad:

dsmith3282

I got my replacement from Impact computers. I had to wait a few days more than expected but I did receive it.  Looks like they are on sale at the moment too.   No more of my money will go to toshiba! 

http://www.impactcomputers.com/h000036130.html

WhattNoww

Thank you for that link! :smileyhappy: Is it easy to change out? Easier than my iPod touch was? And does anyone know of where I can get it fixed for a good price?

BTW, I called a place today to get an estimate for a reapair and I told him how it broke without any trauma. He said the first few claims that came in about that specific tablet be didn't believe them. But after the first 50 he was in shock!

dsmith3282

My husband changed it by following the tutorial @ 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWD2vdfV-o

of course you don't have to completely remove the glass and replace it.  The replacement is the full cover.

So far the replacement has outlasted the original.  I wonder if there were changes made to adjust for the flaws?  Guess we'll never know :smileysad:

WhattNoww

Nevermind, it looks easy. I just watched a YouTube video about it and chatted to http://www.impactcomputers.com/h000036130.html and they told me how it is the glass and top case all in one. :smileyhappy: Happy me!!

Edlanta

It seems the cracked screen issues are from defective glass and/or faults introduced in the glass during final edge polishing after cutting. It only takes a small imperfection in the glass or damage to the glass edge during manufacturing, cutting and sanding the glass edge. A small imperfection will start a crack. If you know about glass a small score, nick or scratch can start a crack in any glass. Under magnification you can see how the glass screen edges were polished after being cut probably by a robot guided by a computer. The foam tape under the glass gives just enough play to stress a microscopic fault or defect the glass during final sanding to cause the crack. It should be covered under warranty since it can be proven to be a manufacturing defect in my opinion and expertise. If the glass was in a ridge frame without the foam tape under, I doubt the cracks would develop so easily in the screens that happen to get the imperfections introduced in the sanded edges, causing the cracks.

Reminder if you bought your Thrive with a premium credit card with Buyer Protection which most cards offer free of charge, the screen crack should be covered. The protection doubles any manufactures warranty, e.g. 90 days will be doubled to 180 days, 1 year (max) will be doubled to 2 years. Most people don't think of this protection they have. It is very liberal and covers accidents including dropping. Review the terms in your credit card agreement. I have used it for a TiVo that hit by lightning on the 170th day of a double the 90 day original warranty. My credit card sent me a check for the repair. You do have to provide all receipts etc. I buy all electronic on a credit card with Buyer Protection, all my cards offer it. How can they do this, because it’s a perk few card holders remember they have or use. When you made the purchase of the $400 thrive the store paid up to $12 in merchant discount fees because you used the card. Then millions of buyers pay late fees, finance charges up to 29% and so on... they can afford to do it.

Hope this helps someone.

AmEv

Bit of a bump, but...

I had my screen crack on me a couple months ago.

I was holding it in my left hand, squeezing kinda tight, CRACK.

Found out later, it was EXACTLY where the touch ribbon cable was.

What's strange is, I dropped from about 3' in the air onto solid brick, no problem. I hold it in my hand, it breaks.

Seriously, Toshiba, your glass is flawed. PLEASE find a replacement, and NOT make it the same price as a whole new tab.

jacquiejan

I've got the Same problem after 5 day, I'm taking it further to consumer affairs, what did you do?  This seems common as I noticed other have had this issue.

alkhe4life

My LCD just broke. After looking high and low I found it on this site. Ordered it on Friday and got it today. Just fixed it. Looks great!!

http://www.humptydumptyservice.com/b101ew05-v-0.html --> Just the LCD.

*I called in and they also have one with the Touch Screen left.

arnoldlopez14

When my digitizer broke, I paid $195 for mine. Theres a good youtube video that shows you how to install this, its not hard at all. I got mine for $195, arrived a few days later, put it in in like 20 mins. Heres the link

H000036130 - Toshiba Thrive AT105-T108 Tablet Top Case Assembly Touch Screen Replacement Glass

As for the LCD, I would recommend buying on Ebay, they are pretty cheap. Just type in "thrive LCD replacement" and you should find it. These things can get expensive if you buy locally or from some vendors. Better get it on ebay and pay less.

mikejones21647

I just purchased mine from them too and got it the very next day. They shipped it Next Day Air, factory sealed from Toshiba (as advertised). I also got the replacement Battery and use it as a spare because these batteries don't last long at all. I've included the links and the Youtube video I watched to help with the install. Hope this helps someone.

H000036130 - Toshiba Thrive AT105-T108 Tablet Top Case Assembly Touch Screen Replacement Glass

Toshiba PA3884U-1BRR - 10.8V 23Whr 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Genuine Battery for 10.1" Thrive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oWD2vdfV-o

shane8399

Just found these available for anyone still looking for a thrive replacement glass screen assembly... in stock, ships fast in USA...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C8P0W0S

notryt

These screens were made way too thin or out of material that is too fragile.. toshivba owes it to the owners of this tablet to recall them and replace the fragile screen with a sturdier one for free... the thrive is greaqt the screen is a Major problem... Just look around and see how many broken screen thrives are for sale... my screen cracked just by grabing it at the corner , taking it out of its case..

notryt

why bother unless the screen is made out of different material its gonna break again. Ive been using mine with the cracked digitizer. why throw 150 dollars at it when it could break 5 mins after its fixed, My digitzer cracked just taking the POs out of the toshiba case. Its still works.. but its an ugly betty now

zoheir07

How to replace lcd screen TOSHIBA THRIVE TABLET AT100 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrH0SlXBoqA

abuilyas

I had the same problem. I only purchased the toshiba laptop less than 48 hours ago.

Within less than 24 hours I found out the screen cracked.

Got back to the dealer but they replied that screen is not under warranty.

In case I need to repair I will be charged the cost repair.

This a skillful thifty business made by Toshiba.

I can not guarantee even after repair that this incident will reoccur.

By this method Toshiba is charging the price of laptop twice or thrice.

Good strategic cheating business.