mechee304
Accepted Solution

Replacement for cracked screen

my thrive has two HUGE cracks on the screen.  i've tried to purchase a replacement and got a message that my order was canceled due to toshiba not having any parts.  

does anyone have any idea of what i can do to get a replacement screen? it's glass and i've already cut my finger when swyping. 

Thanks for any help

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Re: Replacement for cracked screen

[ Edited ]

Maybe a good lawyer instead?

As the screen may be the most likely defective part in any as-is ebay item. I'm thinking ebay would be a last choice. I doubt any place would have parts for this, except for a certified toshiba repair shop. Where you'll be in the same boat... wait until they can fulfill the order.

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
landofkirk

I have a Toshiba Thrive, part number PDA01U-00101F.  I have had it for about 10 days and I use it about 12 hours a day.  But, this morning, when I went to wipe the face clean of finger prints, it cracked! 

After trying 6 times to get through their automated phone system, to Toshiba support, I finally got a person who not only had command of the english language but was also in the Tablet repair department.  However, they told me that the front face was not covered under their 90-day warranty and that I need to contact the retailer that sold me the unit.  Is this what a multi-national corporation calls "customer service"?

They put such hype on the back panel and all the colors you can get but the face of the Thrive is your problem and mine! 

landofkirk

YUP!

BigMistake

160 dollars for replacement, goodbye Toshiba

bjgreko

I just spent 3 days and innumerable phone calls that ended in disconnected call after disconnect trying to resolve my cracked screen... My screen developed 2 spontenous cracks in only 3 months of use (I have mine triple protected with hard back cover, the Toshiba leather cover, a padded neoprene tablet cover and I carry it in my brief case!) It has never been dropped or exposed to anything other than office environments so no extreme heat or cold. Lots of excuses from Toshiba and blame thrown around. It comes down to Toshiba won't stand by their product. I did some research and it became quite apparent from the many postings that the screen is prone to cracking and is what I would consider a manufacturer's defect.  Sucks to be us :smileymad: Thanks for listening...Oh and the rep told me it would run somewhere between $175 to 400+ to repair.

mechee304

the replacement screens were available for a while for ~$60 but when i ordered it, the nat'l parts depot said they were not in stock.  after waiting forever for toshiba to sell replacement screens, they contacted me and the part is now $160.  This is because the housing case is now sold w/ the screen, whereas before it was not and apparently there is no other option but to buy the whole thing for half the price of the tablet. :robotfrustrated:

needless to say, i bought it (not from the parts depot bc they still took forever even after they called me to ask me if i wanted to proceed with the order)

i replaced it myself and only ended up w/ one extra screw :smileyembarrassed: & managed to get one dust ball trapped in there...which i will live with bc i'm not taking that thing apart again. the screws are $5 each!! and they're small so my luck is i'd lose 5 of them. 

lesson to be learned: dont....wait, what did i learn?? lol

LuDawg94

So the screen is prone to cracks? Wow if people have been able to take good care of their tablet and it still cracks that is not very good. Ok if Toshiba does not make an announcement about ICS on the Thrive at CES 2012 I am just going to return the unopened Thrive I bought from Best Buy on Black Friday. I knew I should have just gone for the Xbox 360 deal instead of the tablet.

mechee304

yes. xbox = guaranteed good time..esp if it came with the kinect sensor

LuDawg94

Actually it did and came with the $100  gift card. I am dissappointed with Toshiba that they decided to not include gorilla glass on the Thrive.

Occasional Contributor
ARPRINCE

landofkirk

I don't know of any company where the glass is covered by warranty. Even Apple does not (even if you purchased applecare protection plan).

Having said that, I had a Nokia N810 Internet Tablet that I accidentally broke the screen (it fell). The warranty specifically excludes broken screens. I sent it in for repairs but they sent it back to me at no charge. I guess I was lucky! :smileyhappy:

dsmith3282

Cracked screen on Thrive starting from under chrome piece at camera.  Seems to be a design flaw that Toshiba doesn't want to admit to.  I am very disappointed in this product and will never purchase anything else Toshiba.

jimsmobile

any one have any luck?  i received a thrive for christmas gift and about a week ago i took it to work with me/9 im a mobile auto electronics installer/owner) it was in my vehicle all day and i did keep it warm with the heat while yes it mayhave gottencold here or there due to sitting in van when i wasnt there but all was fine i came home from work put it on the table and a couple hours later noticed an ugly crack in the screen it was NEVER dropped, i took it back to best buy and because they didnt buy extended warranty on it they cant help me, this is disheartening that the screen just cracked with no dropping and no extreme temp changes, but now i have a 400 gift that while usable is dangerous to use and looks like **bleep** has ANYONE HAD any luck with getting toshiba to step to the plate and assist people like us?

marytib

I too have a cracked screen. It is new and I was loving it. It cracked although well taken care of. Called Toshiba and they will not replace and give u a number for out of warranty service. They want to charge as much as the computer cost. It is a robbery and Toshiba should fix this epidemic of Toshiba haters. They need to show their customers that they will back their product and fix this.......if not.......who would want to get Toshiba.
mechee304

like i said, i ended up replacing it myself...however, instead of purchasing through NPD (which is where toshiba recommends) for $160 (it's now $197!!) i purchased through Impact Computers for $150.  it was quite easy, although i cannont stress enough the use of compresse...

good luck :smileywink:

arb69

We bought the Thrive for my daughter for Christmas and her screen just cracked this last week.  I am very disappointed at the quality.  We felt with the input/output options provided by the Thrive, it was a very good deal.  I guess next time I'll just spend the extra money and get the iPad.  By the time I get this fixed, I will have spend just as much money.  How easy is it to replace yourself?  I have read several blogs about the detail and time it takes to replace it properly.  Either way, I'm out at least $150.  Anyone had luck getting a response from Toshiba?

nothappy2011

Yes I have had my Toshiba Thrive 10.1 Gig for just over thirty days. I have two back covers for it being I liked the colors and it has always been covered. The front screen was protected at all times with screen cover. I am 47 years old and the only one to handle it, so it has not been played with by children. Well I had played on it the night before and it was in perfect condition and the next day when I went to turn it on it was cracked from one end of screen to the other in kind of an s-shape. I have taken excellent care of this tablet babying it even. I have never dropped it set it down to hard put materials on top of it, press down on screen to hard or had it in extreme temperatures. Of course I bout it from QVC and the day it cracked was the last day for it to be in their offices for a return. Calling Toshiba didn't do me much good either. They say its not covered under warranty and, I tell them I have handled this tablet with kit gloves and its in perfect condition except for the new crack that spontaneously appeared. I am having to pay 24.95 to send it to Toshiba for them to evaluate to see if they can fix it and will fix it and no charge. I am not holding out much hope tho. I thought I did a good job researching tablets before I bought this one......Guess Not. I am very disappointed in Toshiba FOR NOT STANDING BEHIND ITS PRODUCT! I AM THANKFUL FOR ONE THING I WAS SHOPPING FOR A NICE LAPTOP AT THE SAME TIME I GOT THE TABLET AND I ALMOST BOUGHT A TOSHIBA....THANK GOD I DIDN'T!

mechee304

it was simple to replace.  just make sure you use compressed air and latex gloves to keep dust and fingerprints from getting in there

tshrjain

Its strange how all the broken sceens have a crack starting from their corner and mostly running across the screen. I too have the same problem, took out my laptop out of my bag with a firm grip on the corner, and suddenly the screen cracked from corner running across the screen. Had used my Tablet hardly for a month. :smileysad:

Reading from the various reviews on Google looks like its not even replacable under warranty. And now I can't take it anywhere with me. Don't even like using it now.

Follow me on @Toshiba_Thrive for more updates.

smilesalot

Yes mine cracked yesturday right under the camera.  Its not even that old either.  love it but disappointed, guess should of got the ipad for the extra money.  Why they charge so much for stuff when they break right away.  So wrong.