wolfpack_lamb

Problem transferring files from PC with USB

I am trying to connect my Thrive to my laptop to move some files onto the storage but keep running into a problem.  When I plug the USB cable into the computer Windows tries to install software for my Thrive (it calls it the AT100).  I keep getting an error message the Windows could not install the necessary drivers.  This means when I go to "My Computer" there is no device listed for the Thrive and I am not able to transfer files.  Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the fix?  My laptop is running Windows XP.

richardbun

Re: Problem transferring files from PC with USB

I'm having the same problem with my MacBook Pro, except that I get no message at all. Surely they have a mini USB port for some reason.

wolfpack_lamb

I verified the USB transfer of files works by hooking my thrive up to my home laptop with windows vista and it worked fine. I would really like to figure it out on my work laptop with XP.
SkymanScott

I spoke with Toshiba technical support on this subject.  I don't have an SD card in my Thrive and I was told if I had one, then I could move files from my MacBook to the Thrive.  Another method is to transfer files via an external USB disk, I'm told.  (format must be extFAT).

However, playing around with this (with no SD card)  I was able to transfer music files from my MacBook to the Thrive via Bluetooth.  The drawback is that it won't accept folders, only files, so it's a pain to create thousands of new folders and move music manually in that manner.  I'm going to the external disk method and get an SD card soon.

Hope this helps.

Scott

richardbun

Thank, Scott I have been transferring files using a USB flash drive. It will copy folders, but it's a pain because you have to copy the files twice -- and flash drives are pretty slow.
SkymanScott

Yes, folders can be transferred with a flash drive, SD card, and an external disk.  I didn't explain thoroughly in my last post.  Even with an SD card, the USB cable will not work connected directly to a PC or Mac.  The SD card must be used with the computer, then inserted into the Thrive.  It doesn't make sense to me why the Thrive won't work for transfers when directly hooked to the computer.  Someting about Honeycomb 3.1 or Toshiba, not sure.

I've been spoiled being able to hook up my MotoDroid 1 via USB and move files and folders accordingly.

FWIW...

Scott

wolfpack_lamb

I have been able to transfer files using a flash drive, but I consider that a work around to the problem. It is a pain to have to transfer the files twice. There has to be some way to fix the problem and allow the transfer if files directly to the tablet.
mikecrews

The Thrive used Media Transfer Protocol, not USB Mass Storage Protocol to export its internal flash storage.

Windows Vista and 7 should support it without any extra drivers.  Windows XP needs an update from Microsoft.

For Mac, get this application:  http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

For Linux, get the mtpfs and mtptools packages.  See here for details:  http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32817

Ubuntu has a package called Qlix in its repo that offers a GUI for managing MTP devices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

richardbun

Thanks! Works fine.

wolfpack_lamb

Based on the information above about MTP I did a google search for MTP and Windows XP.  Apparently it isn't built into XP (but is in Vista and 7) but can easily be added by downloading windows media player 10 or higher.  I haven't had a chance to try it out but will update when I verify it works.

wolfpack_lamb

I finalyy got around to testing transferring file from my XP laptop to my Thrive after installing windows media player and it works. Anyone out there still having a problem transferring files on XP should install windows media player 10 or higher to fix the problem. If someone from Toshiba sees this I would suggest adding that kind of information to a FAQ or some other support area.
zpman

Another transfer option is to use a file manager that can see your network shares. I use the free ES File Explorer. I can copy folders across that way. Still slow but no duplicating of effort.
trenes55

Good afternoon. I am new, and I just got my Thrive. My problem is that after I transfermusic files (WMA). They are not recognized, therefore can not be play. Any idea. Thanks.
RayF

VPlayer app will play all windows media files and a lot more different file formats.

Occasional Contributor
carson1

I find the statement that the SD card "must be formatted exFAT" a bit strange. The only way that I've been able to get an SD card to work is to format it as FAT. Personally I think we should be able to format the SD card in the Thrive.
Tachyon

Thanks mikecrews and wolfpack_lamb.  I had the same USB connection problem between XP and Thrive, but downloading Windows Media Player 11 fixed the problem.

Obadiah

What I am running into is when I try to copy/ Transfer photos or file my PC (XP sp3) wants to install MTP and it I try to copy photos from Thumb Drv to SD it say files cannot be copied to this folder. If I put the SD in my PC and copy photos and try to view on tablet it says file corrupted. So now what?????

Obadiah

I fixed my owne issue. One of the above posts says upgrade to media player 11, I did that and works fine. Thanks who ever said that.