Badbear1605

New Information From Toshiba

[ Edited ]

So about two weeks ago I talked my uncle into purchasing a Toshiba Thrive 16gb from woot as a refurb. He is not very good with computers or etc but I told him it would be as easy as using his phone. He fell in love. So I checked his android version and he is running 3.1 and I was telling him about 3.2 and the issues. He wanted to try the upgrade anyway but Service Station would not allow him to upgrade no matter what he tried.

Today he contacted Toshiba and they told him they have completely removed 3.2 and that they will be pushing Ice Cream Sandwich in the next couple of months but they are trying work out all of the bugs. They made some kind of claim that many other Tablets running ICS have had issues and they are trying to eliminate as many bugs as possible before the push.

EDIT:

I'll take it all back..... My Thrive won't show up for another week or so, which means I do not have the ability to check what ver its shipping out with from woot. I had read that there was issues with the firmware the refurb units from woot are shipping with. I have reviewed the information on the Thrive Forums and can't wait to get mine and play around with it.

Regular Advisor
dalepl

Re: New Information From Toshiba

I am sorry, but you are being fed a bunch of bull.  I do hope and do think ICS will be pushed in the next couple of months, but HC 3.2.1 has not been pulled.  Your Uncles device is having the same issue a lot of Woot devices are having.  Toshiba is missing an update on thier server that is before the HMJ37.31.5.0011 ROM update.  Because the updates are incremental, the update fails.  You can go to ThriveForums.org and get everything you need to correct this issue.  I would do this regardless, since the ICS update will also fail unless it is a full ROM upgrade and not an update.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
Occasional Builder
reverted

So why is it that tech support would be able to tell you that ics will be out in a couple months, but our wonderful moderators aren't allowed to say anything about it. Very strange.
Badbear1605

I don't know but with all the complaints about 3.2 maybe they are doing something about it, I have been reading the forums and it seems that sometimes Jim & Peter are slow to respond if they respond at all....  Just like Jims Comment from Oct.

Administratorjim 
Administrator

Re: How do we upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)?

Please stand by... I believe some news is coming very soon.

Jim

I can hope; I have been reading for the past week or so whatever I can find out about the Thrive and I know Toshiba is not communicating as much as they should to keep us happy customers. I am still getting it because I am very impressed with what it's potential is. 

I have seen an Alpha release of ICS but Ill wait for something official.

I am not trying to strike a nerve or get everyone riled up. I am just hoping to get the most out of the thrive, it will be replacing my laptop.

Occasional Builder
reverted

Yeah I don't think they are actual techs, from what I have read from them they seem to know as much if not less than most of the people posting on here. I'm pretty sure they are just moderators who also own thrives and get updates from Toshiba every once in awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if Toshiba outsourced their moderators the same way they outsourced their customer service and they don't even work at Toshiba.
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

A few minutes ago on Twitter, @ToshibaUSA tweeted...

"We are targeting the end of Spring for ICS availability on the Thrive 10-inch."

That's the latest.

Jim

Occasional Builder
reverted

Thank you very much, you've given us all something to look forward to and restored some faith in Toshiba.
UnicornLady