TabGuy

Lack of Compatability: WMA files

Lot's of great things about the Thrive yet I'm not a happy camper.  Toshiba's specs state that the Thrive can support:

MPEG-4, WAVE, H.263, Ogg Vorbis, MP3, AAC+, MIDI, H.264, AAC, Adobe® Flash, WMA, AMR-WB, ACC+ Enhanced, AMR-NB

Tracking down another app that wants me to pay for features I don't want, rooting my tablet, or having to convert a decent sized media library are not acceptable answers when Toshiba's product material says "supported."

Does Toshiba have an official reason or do we have to rely on tech blog speculations about Google v. Microsoft turf battles?  Will there be a fix in the next update.

Regular Advisor
dalepl

Re: Lack of Compatability: WMA files

Are you updated to the lates Os load?  What country are you in?  The US 0032 load added support for many more files.  I personally do not run WMV files on my device.  All I use is MP3.  I also do not use the stock player.  I use PowerAmp.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
TabGuy

[ Edited ]

US.    These are audio files.  I haven't tried the win video format yet. 

Updated via the Service Station to 00032 during my initial setup last week

None of my .wma files are recognized by the various media programs (Google Music or the Toshiba Media Player).  I copied files onto an SD card & then a few into internal storage.  I tried using the File Manager as well.  MP3 files open fine.

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

[ Edited ]

First of all, convert your WMA's to mp3s... WMA is using a microsoft codec.

Which I don't think android has (natively). But there are some software out there that I think you may be able to open them with.

(after some research) It does look like android can play it. But probably limited on the bitrate or other components/properties of the encoding, that requires the official microsoft codec to play.

Hence, convert to MP3.

WMA is supported, but not fully, and probably legally can't be fully supported as microsoft (probably) limits certain aspects of the encoding. (This is my assumption, and is based on my understanding and beliefs, and a whole lot of gut feelings.)

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
TabGuy

Re: Lack of Compatibility: WMA files

austeregrim - Appreciate you looking around.  I did as well prior to posting.  My hope was to avoid duplicating my media library and having multiple copies of songs cataloged by Windows Media Player - a much maligned program which I don't mind as I use it to play songs through a media extender (WD Live Plus).  I stayed with the .wma format until last year so it will be a minor pita to completely switch to the .mp3 format.

In my limited experience, a media program will at least list/accept a particular file type & then it will fail to play it if it is a simply bitrate/codec problem.  The included media players on the Thrive do not even catalog .wma files. 

Therein is the rub.  Toshiba "ought" not to promise a particular file compatibility without providing a way or at least information on how to obtain that compatibility. 

A simple $0.99 app to play .wma that wants no information from me, asks before connecting to the internet, and doesn't want to sell me music would be nice.  I haven't found one.

Cheers!

TabGuy

Just discovered that the Thrive can connect to my PC and use it as a media server & play - of all things - .wmv (video files) using the Toshiba Media Player.

It will not drill down into the Music folder from the listed server (it just indicates it is connecting & then needs to be force closed), but the Thrive finds your Playlist folders and will list/play .wma & .wav files on your PC only if they included in a playlist.

So seems to indicate to me that it uses the windows media server to process the files for the tablet.  Not sure if that is right terminology but ....

Still, seems wasteful to have to connect to my PC to play them.  So much for portability. Off to do some batch converting.

Cheers!

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Although I understand that the android music player wont catalog it, it doesn't mean that it's not checking for compatible files, and still checking WMA files. It just doesn't show them. (But I agree with you, and highly doubt this is the case.) So you may be right the version of the music app toshiba compiled, doesn't look for WMA files. 

I may be wrong, which I have been before.

But here's the thing, one way or another, you can play WMA files. So technically, they aren't lying on the packaging. They don't have to mention that it may be additional software to work. But it's a computer, literally, it can play anything, just have to have the right software.

So it may feel misleading, but it's truely not, it's just an exaggeration of the truth.

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
TabGuy

Tried out PowerAMP.  It will play them .wma file but it has problems with the tags.

Google Music beta NOW plays them so either the update a day or two ago fixed it, or when I unchecked "read only" for the SD music folder/sub-folders/files did the trick.  Same issue with the artists name so perhaps WM Player ripping years ago was messed up.

It seems none are perfect.

Thanks for you earlier thoughts.

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

;-) 

If this was more of a proprietory system, I'd be open to people complaining about files not working. But since this isn't really proprietory, it's like a computer. I can't entertain the idea that any "file support" should be stated, it's more of a "feel good statement on packaging".

When considering a protable music player, like iriver or something that isn't android; yeah a clear statement of what file types are supported is a definite needed statement. Not for an OS that you can build your own app for. I mean technically, you could write an app to handle any file type you have, therefore toshiba (and all android OEMS) could state that their device handles every file type known to man. You just have to write the software yourself to handle it.

As far as your thought about WM Player not ripping correctly, that makes some sense. Who knows if MS has changed their "standard", for compressing WMA files, in X number of years. Using out dated compression techniques? It could be a lot of things.

Also could be your wma's just happen to be corrupt, where some apps are able to ignore some corruption? Where others just err on the side of caution and don't play corrupt files.

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -