Occasional Advisor
indest

Re: Jelly Bean Update for Thrive

[ Edited ]

Peter, thanks for the clarification.

With all due respect, the ICS problem has been an issue for months already. I have contacted the BBB and FTC. Yet Toshiba has never taken an initiative to remediate the issue. Although I appreciate you escalating the issue, I doubt it will do us any good. Sorry for being cynical, however, it is because I came to this realization that I now have a functional device (after installing a CM based ROM).

I feel that like many companies, Toshiba will not offer support for a discontinued item. I know I cannot speak officially on the matter, but, Toshiba's track record says something about the company.

I would even go out on a limb to say that if JB is released from Toshiba, there will be similar memory leaks as those found in ICS. The problem with Toshiba is that the engineers have done the minimal to get ICS running without any real optimization for our devices. This can be seen in Toshiba's open sourced kernel release. 

In short, I feel like the false promise of a potential update is misleading. In the event that this is not a false promise, the idea that the update will fix the issue is also misleading (after looking at the sloppy kernel Toshiba released in compliance of the Open Source request).

Device: Toshiba Thrive 10" running Jellybean (4.1.2)
Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

I know the tread is about Jelly Bean (and I will mention it, eventually) .... but since it has strayed somewhat off course....

There were and still are some "bugs" with the ICS update that all users suffered and still do.

WiFi not connecting at boot or wakeup

Notifications disappearing from the Notification bar

The other "complaints" & "real issues" that are only suffered by some but not all, are troubling (and am sure confusing to the engineers).  There is an obvious large amount of users that have had major issues with the ICS update.  I think some of them are due to the fact that the ICS optimization that was performed with the update may have failed for many users.  For some, going into Recovery and wiping the Cache Partition a few times fixed most of their major issues.

I don't have much hope of seeing Jelly Bean from Toshiba for the THRiVE.  However, I would like to see either a "bug fix" release for ICS, or an option to allow dissatisfied users to roll-back to the last HC release from Toshiba.  Toshiba did provide 1 rollback before (from one version of HC to an older one that still had Fastboot -- for this they should be applauded). 

The downside to a rollback (for some users) is that going from ICS to HC will more than likely require a total wipe of their device to accomplish.  Even if warned, I can hear the wailing and gnashing of teeth about having lost their precious pictures, music, game saves, etc if it requires a wipe.

We THRiVE users/owners were there to help Toshiba enter the Tablet-World.  It would be a kind gesture for Toshiba to offer us a Thank You, by fixing the ICS bugs.  They could put icing on the cake an give us an unlocked bootloader as well.

Okay, off soapbox (wasn't really sure if I stepped off or was pushed <G>).

Occasional Advisor
ttmoo

[ Edited ]
GREAT POST, mcarver2k. I second it. Fixes are needed to the flawed ICS. And a rollback to HC is essential always. It is amazing that Toshiba is not reacting the the requests for opening the system by unlocking the bootloader, which many early users (not me) helped them develop.
indest

ICS root or the ability to downgrade is all we need. We already have an unlocked bootloader that can be pushed, via adb, once we are able to root.

Even then, we have the nvflash tool to downgrade (although only a selected few have this due to the destructive nature of the program)... so in reality, we just need a way to root the current ICS ROM.

That or Toshiba can give us a non-POS OS.

Occasional Contributor
rtakacs

Android101 wrote:

Hey. I do not shave a direct line to Toshiba. They told me there was an update, I checked for the update, and it wasn't there. They lied to me. I do not trust them. That is why I have an iPod touch now.

Trace Broyles

Are you seriously trying to say Apple is going to take good care of you with an ipod touch?  I used to have a gen 2 ipod touch.  The worst thing that Apple did was recommend an update to OS4.  The hardware couldn't handle it.  My awesome ipod touch became a dog.  There was no way to go back to OS3.  Apple's response, "Buy a new one, they're faster.

This Thrive is old now by tablet standards, i love it, but its slowing down with ICS.  If jellybean is going to slow it down more i don't want it.

Android, unlike Apple, doesn't seem to encourage developers to require the new OS versions for app updates. I've got jellybean on my phone, love it there.  ICS runs great on this thrive.

Occasional Advisor
indest

[ Edited ]

rtakacs wrote:

Android101 wrote:

Hey. I do not shave a direct line to Toshiba. They told me there was an update, I checked for the update, and it wasn't there. They lied to me. I do not trust them. That is why I have an iPod touch now.

Trace Broyles

Are you seriously trying to say Apple is going to take good care of you with an ipod touch?  I used to have a gen 2 ipod touch.  The worst thing that Apple did was recommend an update to OS4.  The hardware couldn't handle it.  My awesome ipod touch became a dog.  There was no way to go back to OS3.  Apple's response, "Buy a new one, they're faster.

This Thrive is old now by tablet standards, i love it, but its slowing down with ICS.  If jellybean is going to slow it down more i don't want it.

Android, unlike Apple, doesn't seem to encourage developers to require the new OS versions for app updates. I've got jellybean on my phone, love it there.  ICS runs great on this thrive.

Jellybean, if done right, will run faster than ICS. In fact, the current JB build for the Thrive runs way better than HC ever did and I should know, I recently tested all three in the last 4 days. With project butter, the thrive is a speed monster. 

The benchmark you see below is super old (form one of the early builds of JB), nevertheless, it proves my point. Since this benchmark, the cpu has been over-clocked, the mem leaks has been worked on, project butter was refined and the boot script was revamped.

Occasional Advisor
indest

Today @ 10 pm EST, I am willing to help people install JB. 

You must email me at mkh2cb [at] yahoo [dot] com and we'll communicate from there.

ACASSIUS

Hi folks,

I am new to the Thrive community, but have been dealing with computers a long time. Anyway, I have been using Jelly Bean on some other Hugh Powerful tablets for a few months. Imagine my surprise when I acquired a Toshiba Thrive running OTA ICS 4.0.4 and now I am stuck there.

Any chance that the tools required to upgrade to JB 4.1.2 will be published?

Thanks.

busterbluth123

I, too, have filed a complaint with the BBB and suggest all of you do the same. If they are going to abandon support for the Thrive, the very least they can do is give us root capability. This is pathetic customer service and bad business.

shanepatrice

So unhappy about this JellyBean issue. Toshiba please help us out- Your loyal customers made a costly investment & you must be responsible to the consumer.
Nightowl

I am a Computer Dealer here in South Africa.  I push sales of Toshiba notebooks and of course the AT100 and AT300. I have customers specifically needing the full USB port and HDMI port that the Excite does not have. The Thrive is still being sold by Toshiba South Africa alongside the Excite. How can Toshiba drop updates for their hardware that is CURRENT in South Africa. It seems that Toshiba is offloading the Thrive stock here to unsuspecting buyers. How can they be selling something at the very present (and is brand new - straight from manufacture) for which I read in these forums is discontinued with no updates likely?  Must I tell my customers that they will be buying a unit that is already "discontinued" or must I act ignorant and tell them that Toshiba will look after them with updates - after all it is "hot' off the press (so to speak) and is sold with a full one yeare warranty that takes them to April 2014. The tablets we are getting from Toshiba come with HC 3.2.1. No update or word of an update. Why hasn't ICS reached here yet. With the problems reported they might as well skip ICS and go straight to Jelly Bean. Ok Toshiba what do you want me to do?

Peter

Each Toshiba company in their individual regions handles updates for their own region. You're posting on the Toshiba USA forum, Nightowl. Toshiba USA has never been responsible for updates for your region. You'll need to contact your local Toshiba.

- Peter
kghare

I purchased the Thrive because I had good experience overall with Toshiba products and I wanted a pad that had the USB, HDMI and memory card capabilities. Overall it's been a useful experience owning the thrive but thinking about my recent purchases of a Nexus 7 and a Windows Surface tablet, together with lenovo laptop I realized that the general nagging discontent at the thrive support has colored my opinion of Toshiba overall. (we still have two older Toshiba laptops and an older Toshiba TV but they were bought before this experience.

Experience of using laptops and desktops has driven an expectation that OS patches, fixes and upgrades continue beyond end of sale for a period of time and the hardware vendor generally stands behind its products until such time as a logical break is acceptable by the user base. It was interesting the ability to root the product was removed with the ICS update since there would have been prior knowledge from product management that no further updates would be offered to the thrive. Had this been left in place, there would have been considerably less grumbling across the Toshiba forums since the user base would have found a way to move themselves up to JB and would have been the richer for it, plus a lot more positive on Toshiba. There is a humerous adage in the industry that 'If I ignore my customers, they will eventually go away and quit bothering me' and if you couple that with the cost of advertising to gain marketshare, only to lose it to negative opinion then it would seem the Toshiba tablet management decisions are in direct conflict with gaining customer approval.

Toshiba product management, offer a small OS update to unlock the system and let your people free! You will gain back a portion of what you have driven away.

doctek

What started out as a simple plan to upgrade my Thrive this afternoon ends in this fiasco! How can a company that exists on consumer electronics sales (like Toshiba) bungle customer service so badly? Here's some other suggested mottos for them:
"You can buy better, but you can't pay more."
"At Toshiba, we're not satisfied until you're not satisfied."
"Failure is not an option, it's bundled with the software."
Perhaps their death-wish marketing team can pick their favorite?

Gallows humor aside, I cannot express my frustration and disappointment with this abandonment of the Thrive. I chose the Thrive based on its excellent feature set. Toshiba does not have a great reputation for service, but I went with them thinking they were serious about the Tablet Market and would do the right things. Clearly not the case!

I will *never* buy another product from this bunch of incompetents and I'll start apologizing to all the folks I touted the Thrive to tomorrow. I'll shop more carefully for my next tablet.

Great disappointment. Goodbye, Toshiba.

AbYe

[ Edited ]

Its sad that Toshiba opts to keep silent on this issue. No more toshiba's for me at least. It has been extremely frustrating! I dont care as much for a jelly bean update but more for the fact that my Thrive with the ICS update is practically unusable being that it sucks and stalls and just about hangs all the time (in every app and browser!!!). why would Toshiba lock up the OS from receiving unofficial updates if they are not updating / fixing the OS beats me!

My thrive functioned better before the ICS update, yes there were bugs & more bugs but at least it did not hang all the time. Toshiba ... frustrating as hell! Am just venting and want to let Toshiba know that this is the last Toshiba product I will ever buy if they continue to refuse support for a product they forcefully locked down!

If T doesnt want to provide an updgrade, understandable that its not in their interests, but atleast consider unlocking the OS (ICS on Thrive) and allow us to use the tablet (which we paid for) and not regale it to the junkyard! Noone in my household wants to use this tablet anymore ... again extremely frustrating!

By locking the OS, Toshiba you are also locking out customers!!!

cobrajeff

My Thrive worked fine before the ICS "upgrade" - now the HDMI output doesn't work, so I can't stream pictures or video to my TV, and I can no longer transfer pictures from an SD card to the device.  I bought it because it had full size ports and an SD slot - now they're useless - it's just a brick.   Tech Support charged me $50 to do a "reset" that didn't fix anything.  I won't be buying another Toshiba product anytime soon.

Occasional Advisor
indest

cobrajeff wrote:

My Thrive worked fine before the ICS "upgrade" - now the HDMI output doesn't work, so I can't stream pictures or video to my TV, and I can no longer transfer pictures from an SD card to the device.  I bought it because it had full size ports and an SD slot - now they're useless - it's just a brick.   Tech Support charged me $50 to do a "reset" that didn't fix anything.  I won't be buying another Toshiba product anytime soon.

There are certain people that can help you dowgrade. They are easy to find with a little research.

The most known is Dalepl.

Occasional Contributor
Firstcloud

Need to install Jelly Bean.  Very disappointed that I purchase a Toshiba Thrive Tablet that is having a problem updating. 

If you can help,  or know somene,  please contact me.  All of the lastest apps run Jelly Bean.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
Firstcloud

Thanks Jim.

We need to have the most updated apps for our Toshiba Thrive Tablet.  We purchased the Toshiba ThriveTablet to be able to use it as well as the i.e. Goggle, Microsoft, HP, Acer and all the other comanies that have supported the updates for their products.

Toshiba Thrive Tablet Company Personnel responsible for updates need to come forward and do the right thing and take responsibility.  This is the United States of America and we pride ourselves with our products

Schott

I too would like to update my Thrive AT100 to JB!  I am fairly new to the Android platform, was a loyal iPad user/developer until the last iOS update which was kind of the final straw for me so I finally unpacked my Thrive AT100 my wife bought me a year and a half ago to get committed to the android environment.  I am somewhat very computer savy if it is just a matter a steps, the system update is not much use after ICS (at least for my unit).  Any help or pointing in the right direction (except back to Apple) would be appreciated.