DMB_CNC

Jelly Bean Update for Thrive

Has there been any official comment or timeframe from Toshiba about updating Thrive to Jelly Bean 4.2? With the specs on the Thrive, it should support Jelly Bean.

Thanks,

Darrin

Occasional Advisor
indest

Re: Jelly Bean Update for Thrive

Ask Android101. He seems to have a direct line to Toshiba's excecutives and has talked to them, based on his last few posts...

I say, there will never be a JB update for our Thrive.

It is your call though, who do you want to believe?

Device: Toshiba Thrive 10" running Jellybean (4.1.2)
Peter

I don't believe there has been any official word on it.

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
calberts

I see there is a Jelly Bean update for the excite, will thrive get an update as well.  I understand that thrive has been discontinued-will that prevent updates from being available? It would be ashamed for Toshiba to leave one of their products less then 2 years old with an operating system that does not function properly. Perhaps money would have been better spent with Apple.

jhondough77

peter, what does the moderator do; just watch and read the posts? r u in any way affiliated with toshiba?

Occasional Advisor
indest

The only way to install jellybean is to do it unofficially. To those who have HC and can root , look at: http://alltechtalk.net/ThriveCM10

To those on ICS, you will need to downgrade. There are only a selected few that can downgrade your device and it will require remote assitance into your PC.

I wish you guys luck. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Peter

jhondough77,

In my role as moderator, I read forum posts, respond by pointing customers to solutions if they're available, and report forum trends. In addition, I perform basic housekeeping such as deleting spam.

The forum moderation is just one role I perform. Yes, I work for Toshiba. That's what the Toshiba icon next to my forum username indicates. Users might notice that jim also has one of those.

While I do try to help if I can, I am not considered customer support.

- Peter
mike5353

Hi!  I am confused.  Is the Thrive going to get an update or not?  If not, what is the best way for me to upgrade to the jelly bean?  I bought my Thrive a year a go from a salesman indicating that I will be receiving upgrades.  Hmm Salespeople always lie!!  If not, I will quit looking for it.

I currently am using the ice cream.  Should I take it back off and how?  I do not know much about tablets.

My daughters told me to get an Apple at the time.  Guess I should have listened to them.  Oh well!!!!

Thanks a bunch!   And have a great 2013!!!

Mike in Virginia

Regular Contributor
Android101

Hey. I do not shave a direct line to Toshiba. They told me there was an update, I checked for the update, and it wasn't there. They lied to me. I do not trust them. That is why I have an iPod touch now.

Trace Broyles

Android101
Regular Contributor
Android101

Have. Sorry for the mistype.

Android101
Occasional Advisor
indest

The only way to get jb would be to downgrade, root/unlock the bootloader and then install jb through cwm.

Peter

Toshiba has not announced any plans for Jelly Bean on the Thrive. I believe the persons who said it was coming were mistaken.

There is no official, Toshiba-supported way to put Jelly Bean on the Thrive. I can't comment on any third-party solutions.

- Peter
ccpdpio

This whole Thrive/ICS issue is very sad. Has any other major company abandoned is customers as quickly as Toshiba has abandoned us Thrive owners? Peter, maybe you can answer these questions: (1) did Toshiba know that the ICS upgrade would cause problems but released it anyway? (2) WHY WHY WHY WHY won't Toshiba do the right thing and either allow us to revert to Honeycomb or give us Jelly Bean? Please, Toshiba, help us get back the Thrive we love so much (or at least LOVED so much before ICS). I look forward to your reply, Peter.

Peter

Many people have performed the update and not had issues as well.

I don't know the specific reasoning about downgrades or upgrades.

- Peter
Occasional Advisor
indest

Peter is a marketing employee, if I am not mistaken. I doubt he has much will over Toshiba's decisions regarding the Thrive.

You are best asking an independent developer for help.

Peter

indest, I should probably provide some clarification here.

I actually work for Online Support Engineering. I don't have much will over product (including software) decisions. With the forum, my role is point people to solutions, provide help when I can, and to report trends and issues found from the forum. While I might not always have a solution, I do report what I see, which includes sometimes pushing for fixes for certain issues.

- Peter
ccpdpio

And MANY MORE people, from what I gather on this and the other Thrive boards, HAVE had problems. Is it not Toshiba's responsibility to take care of its loyal customers when something goes wrong with the product? My Thrive and the one I purchased as a gift for my adult daughter at a total cost of over $800 are now little more than glorified game consoles because of the sudden crashes, forced closings, disappearing icons, etc., etc., etc. I am 62 years old, have been purchasing Toshiba products my entire life, and right now I am NOT a happy camper! How difficult can it be to at least give us what we are asking for: back to Honeycomb or up to Jelly Bean??? Or are you telling us to just give up and switch to Apple?

Peter

What I mentioned in my last post stands here as well. I'm sorry I don't have a solution, but yes, I have escalated this issue to make sure the appropriate parties are aware. I would love to be given a solution so I could relay it here on the forum.

- Peter
ccpdpio

Thank you, Peter, for your concern. I'm not trying to be a pain or an agitator, just looking for an acceptable solution to what I gather is a widespread problem. If you can at least advocate for us Thrive users, that might help. Thanks for listening, and good luck to all of us.

Peter

I completely understand, ccpdpio.

- Peter