Occasional Contributor
Princess_K

Jelly Bean Inquiry

[ Edited ]

According to tips4droid.com (specifically: http://tips4droid.com/tablets-that-will-get-android-jelly-bean-update/comment-page-1/#comment-335), it appears we may getting Jelly Bean for the Thrive in September of this year (2012 for future readers).

Quote-

"Toshiba Thrive:  Toshiba thrive has all the hardware required for running Android Jelly Bean. Equipped with Nvidia Tegra 2 its ready for Android 4.1 which will be releasing by September 2012."

Now I am curious if this is indeed the case and Toshiba is going to throw in the towel with ICS and go directly to a Jelly Bean release in September ?

Its entirely possible that this is just semi-substantiated rumour, but if true, I would respect Toshiba for skipping ICS due to the long delay and other issues that contributed, and instead decided to work on a release Jelly Bean for the Thrive in September as a nice surprise.

I'm a developer and love my thrive, but being two reviso's out of date would be seriously stretching the limits of tolerability if this drags on and out and we have to wait another year to be behind schedule yet again.

So, long and short of it, I love my thrive 10.1. I haven't felt the need to get a case for it since its been pretty much implanted on my left arm between elbow and wrist for over a year now... that's how much I love this device. But we need the OS up to date alot faster.. and in situations where we're now two OS's behind, its important to know what's going on and what the thinking is.

Just fyi, Toshiba, and to reiterate, if you're gonna wow us all with Jelly Bean and skip ICS, I'm cool with that, and mucho respect to you for doing it. If its a rumor, we need ICS soon and Jelly Bean Real Sooooon. But we need to know whats what, regardless.

Thanks for the all the work you guys are doing and I hope to hear from ya, Jim :smileyhappy:

stevebway

Re: Jelly Bean Inquiry

A company that doesn't support its products appropriately doesn't deserve to have people buying it. There is so much competition these days in every category and service is paramount as companys push products out the door ( like the replacement for the Thrive before the Thrive gets updated).The WAY a product is handled says much about a Company.It is clear Toshiba is falling behind in the Clarity department.

tubasparky

I would like to throw in an additional question that is burning for me. Will the new update (be it 4.0 or 4.1) fix the 3GB app limit? I have a difficult time understanding why Toshiba cares if I want to use all 16GB of my internal storage for apps. I still have 8 GB free, but I keep getting the "Low on space message" I uninstall some of my less frequently used apps, but whenever I find a new one the message pops up again! Thanks for listening to my top gripe of a solid, connectivity packed tablet.
Peter

I don't have any information on Jelly Bean unfortunately, but I know that Toshiba is not skipping ICS on the Thrive.

tubasparky, if the tablet already has the separate application partition (as is the case with the Thrive), an upgrade can't change that. In other words, no, ICS will not be changing that, and I don't believe JB could either.

- Peter
roughneck0101

Hey Princess..I am curious, what do you use your Thrive for mostly?

I bought mine, because I work 3rd shift doing security Patrol for Apartments and sometimes Fire watch businesses which reguire you to just sit there.  

My thrive is for entertainment and web surfing, but without Wi-Fi, its pretty much a portable video player.  So I am just curious as to how you use yours with a wi-fi signal to connect with? is it modded? any tips or useful downloads you can share?

Thanks. :smileywink:

Occasional Advisor
Craz49er

[ Edited ]

Hey roughneck, pardon my interjection but even if you lack wifi there are other means of getting the THRiVE connected. WiFi makes the most sense but you can also.

A ) buy a 3G / 4G hotspot via cell phone carrier.

B ) tether to your smartphone via usb, bluetooth, or wifi hotspot.

C ) buy a portable travel router and connect to an ethernet source. 

D ) buy an usb to ethernet adapter and plug the THRiVE in directly ( requires some modification )

each one has its pros and cons but you do have options to work with. 

-----------------------------------------
THRiVE Owner - ThriveForums.org
Occasional Contributor
Princess_K

Roughneck,

I use my thrive to watch movies off the external sdcard (Rockplayer Lite and Es File Explorer), manage my network (Es File Explorer, Fing), Read Books (Kindle), watch movies off the network (ES File Explorer, Netflix, Youtube), develop android apps on android device (AIDE, TextEdit), write documentation/letters (Quick Office Pro), Draw (AutoDesk SketchBook Pro).

And those are a few of the main uses. I use hdmi and usb ports on occasion but otherwise that's what I use my thrive for. At present she is stock, but if Toshiba is gonna lag behind on os uodates i wish they'd just unlock the firmware and let us run... to that end, I really want to root to run Jelly Bean, but we're not ready to do that yet in the community.. ie we don't have a fully running jb port yet. ..and to be clear Toshiba, I haven't rooted yet because was promised ics earlier, and it still isn't here. Great device, and if you (Toshiba) don't release ICS soon, i will *need* to root.