Occasional Advisor
jw14211
Accepted Solution

JELLY BEAN FOR THRIVE TESTING?

Only trying to help here, and since we are LOYAL OWNERS of our beloved Thshiba Thrive tablets, we are wondering, if and when Google releases the JB in September, will devls. proceed to create an ota of JB for the Thrive?

With ALL THE PROBLEMS WITH ICS,, Project Butter, in Jelly Bean seems to fix the issues of ICS,, so this would seem a must.
It was stated that the Thrive is JELLY BEAN READY, and many feel the same way.
So, if others feel the same way as I and friends of mine do about this, please comment, and show your support for this much needed upgrade to our wonderful Thrives.

P.S.

WHEN THE THRIVE IS UPDATED TO JELLY BEAN,, MAN, I'M BUYING A 13 INCH EXCITE ALSO.
Going to do some head to head gaming with my daughters.. lol
I CAN'T WAIT, LOVING MY THRIVE BABY.

J. W. CARTER
Occasional Advisor
jw14211

Re: JELLY BEAN FOR THRIVE TESTING?

OH YEAH, forgot to mention,,, I'M WILLING TO BE A TESTER FOR JELLY BEAN.

J. W. CARTER
Occasional Builder
reverted

hasn't jelly bean already been released?  I know the transformer tab just got the upgrade for it and I know its coming soon to the S 3 if it isn't already there.

Occasional Advisor
jw14211

Maybe I misunderstood, but somewhere last week, I read it was not to be released until September.
I've seen mods on different phones, but not a tablet so far.
My TRUE wonder is, if Toshiba will first accept it, and secondly, would they put it on this Thrive, that really needs help, smoothing out itself.
From what I've been reading, "PROJECT BUTTER" would do just that.

J. W. CARTER
Regular Contributor
Android101

I am just excited to have ICS. There are many problems with ICS on the Thrive though. I have had random restarts of my device. I have also have applications randomly forse close and not open, also the apps have uninstalled themselves. And THERE IS NO FACE UNLOCK!! That must be fixed!! But I think that Toshiba will have an update soon for Jellybean a it has many improvments and could be great publicity for their tablets. I also think that the thrive is very capable of having Jellybean on board. But there is one thing...Jellybean does not support Adobe Flash. you will have to sideload it and then tweek your internet browser to work with it. Why would Android remove flash player from the OS? please reply and tell me what you think.

-Trace B.

Android101
Regular Contributor
Android101

Hey, my last post said that it was posted feom an acer a something. I am doing this from a Toshiba Thive a100. It will probably going to say that THIS post was posted from an Acer to. But thats wrong. Sorry.

Android101
remotehugger

i agree 100% - although i am very happy that we haec ICS there are definitely some issues - popping sounds, random reboots, aps force closing, etc...and from what i have seen and read, Jelly Bean is what we need to solve most of these issues. No doubt our Thrives have the hardware to run JB as it is running on machines with less prowess as our Thrives. So yes, please bring us the JB update as it would surely make us already loyal Thrivers even more so.

Sent from my Thrive running ICS
Peter

I don't have any information about Jelly Bean at this time.

Android101, were you posting from a Thrive 10?

- Peter
Occasional Advisor
jw14211

Well we have already started saving for the Toshiba Excite 13 inch tablet.
I told my wife once Toshiba updates the Thrive and Excite with Jelly Bean, were going to by the 13 ince Excite.
See I love how Toshiba builds their tablets, the ports all work well,, hate the cheap speakers though. lol
So in early Febuary, if they do that update, I and my oldest daughter will be some very happy people.

Right now, I love my Thrive, and I've only had one problem since the update,, the stock browser crashed three times, but I stopped using it, got Chrome, if needed flash, I'll use it then.
I wonder if the Thrive can hook up to a wifi mobel hot spot device, so I can use it on the go?

THANKS TOSHIBA, YOU ROCK.

J. W. CARTER
Occasional Builder
reverted

It is able to use mobile wifi. My brother got one with his and used it all the time.
Regular Contributor
Android101

Yes, I am Peter!!

Android101
Regular Contributor
Android101

that last message was to Peter. Yes peter I am on a 10 inch. Thrive.

Android101
Occasional Contributor
TysAri08

I would love my Thrive to be updated to Jelly Bean! And I would be very willing to test.

AbYe

Same here ... I too have been experiencing random restarts, slower screen transitions, scrolling, browsers crashing. ICS is as unstable as they come.

Dont see any real benefits with the ICS update with the exception that my wifi connection at least stays put. Dont see much improvement with wifi speeds through even though Thrive is wifi-N compatible!

With nothing really exciting on the ICS engine, I'm itching to see if MS will let me install Windows-8-RT on my thrive! Anyone have a wiff on this?

Occasional Contributor
DaiWood

Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0) was a major upgrade. Going from Honey Comb (Android 3.x) to ICS (4.0) is like upgrading your computer from Windows XP to Windows 7.
Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) is just incremental update, akin to installing a Service Pack for Windows.

Unless support for Thrive ends soon (actually, does anyone know for how long Toshiba is planning to support Thrive tablets?), I'd think Toshiba most likely will release JB updates soon after they finish rolling out ICS upgrade in all regions.

Occasional Contributor
morr22066

I agree, once the I.C.S. rollout is complete to all regions there should be an announcement regarding jellybean since it appears to be primarily refining I.C.S. and not a major operating system upgrade.  Looking at the specs on the thrive it appears that it should be able to handle jellybean without any issues as far as the hardware goes.  And with all of the recent announcements from major manufacturers regarding their plans to upgrade most devices running I.C.S. to jellybean I would hope that toshiba would also announce that they will be upgrading their tablets to jellybean.

Occasional Advisor
jw14211

I see a lot of people have been complaining about the ICS update on the Thrive, all sorts of problems their having.
I think that most of the problems are not the fault of the OS, but that of certin softwares.
The ONLY problem I've had since the ICS update, is browers crashing every now and then, but NOT ALWAYS.
I use the stock browser because of flash as Chrome stinks in that operation with no support.
One other thing, is that the apps I had on the Thrive under HC, are not compatible anymore it seems.

Googling around the web, I've installed apps that did not install on HC, so it's a hit and miss thing I guess.
Being happy with my Thrive now a days, and I sure hope we get a Jelly Bean update, because IT'S NOT THE HARDWARE of the Thrive, so we should be good to go.

J. W. CARTER
JLowe1

Adobe Flash is supported for devices 4.0+ but will not be able to update anymore. You can either go to YouTube and click a random video then when the web page loads click the need adobe button and it should lead you tot the adobe flash app on the market. Or you can just get on the computer and go to the Google market website and look for it (make sure your signed in) then click install and it will show the devices that support adobe. Normally phones with 1GHz Processor or higher are compatible.
Occasional Advisor
jw14211

Now I get a lot of brwser crashes the tablet hands on web pages, games crash and it's frustrating at times.
I don't use it much anymore, it's too unstable.
I tried to sell it, but the most I offered is $56.00.
So I'm stuck with it, and I hope Toshiba updates it really soon, but they may not.
Take note of the lack of support the past few weeks.

Different delvs on the org site are experimenting with a JB rom, I wonder, if they get it perfect, will Toshiba then use their work and update us,, sti I doubt that also.

J. W. CARTER
Occasional Contributor
dboss

I'm mad.. I can't use this thing without crashing and have to hold button down to restart..why would they bring isc out and then not fix it...do they care about how we fell. If I knew it would wreck my thrive I would of never installed it..now I know not to get a laptop through Toshiba..