dlee427

Is Toshiba going to do something about the sound quality/audio mess?

I absolutely love this Thrive I got and I don't know if I'll be returning it cause the PROS outweigh the CONS by a lot but one big big problem is the audio/speakers. I don't know if Toshiba just used cheap speakers or if the Audio settings are not correct but listening to movies, songs, podcasts, anything on the speakers are so painful. Headphones are the same. You would think the headphones or external speakers would yield better results but I think something about the software or audio design isn't done right. The volume first of all is WAY TOO LOW. And I spent a good hour messing around and testing various his, mids and lows through the Multimedia setting that's offered and the only way to really boost the volume is to raise the treble and bass. BUT if you do that, you get this very tinny and thrashy sound with lots of static if you go over 70% volume on anything, including just standard mobile review videos of people talking on youtube.

Headphones and external speakers yield low volume and the music depth and audio quality is just really bad. I spent really about 40 minutes comparing the results of the audio with an expensive 5.1 speaker system and my android phone running gingerbread with nothing else played youtube music videos VERY well. It sounded full and didn't have any static. When I switched over to the tablet to play the exact same song, I had to first turn the volume dial up to get "somewhat" the same level of volume but then, the sound was just very thrashy and low quality. Kind of like those musical hallmark cards. 

I know this is part of the multimedia settings that Toshiba has on the Honeycomb settings because the external speakers and headphones shouldn't sound this bad. The speakers on the tablet, well if the reason for bad audio there, is that it's crappy quality speakers, then there's nothing that can be done. 

My question, is Toshiba working releasing a patch/update to address the audio on the tablet? I'm not the first person to experience this issue there are many people who had lots of issues with the volume, audio quality and their speakers blowing out on the Thrive forums. I would HATE to return this tablet, I love it. It does everything and I just got it but audio is really a deal breaker if there isn't at least a partial fix for something. 

02redgalant

Re: Is Toshiba going to do something about the sound quality/audio mess?

Although I can't say I have volume issues......I just bought my thrive yesterday and noticed that after playing music for 10 to 15 mins I've noticed slight distortion in the music almost sounds raspy at times.....after I stop playing music for sometime or restart the it tends to go away I'm at a? Whether its a defect or the speaker quality/settings
Occasional Contributor
hitokiri

agreed.

The sound is waaaaaay too low, even when maxed.

tralee23

I agree.  I love my Thrive, and it is fantastic for photographers, since you can just insert your SD card and view the photos you just took, on the fly, with no cords or "sync"ing with iTunes.  But the audio is very disappointing.  I have small set of speakers that I use with my iPhone (it is a 3 year old phone) and the sound fills the room, with great bass and no tinny sound.  When I connected the Thrive to the speakers, the sound was terrible.  I thought my unit was defective, but I see others have the same experience.  I really hope they can release a software update that will at least improve sound for headphones and speakers.

Occasional Contributor
Schatzie

While I agree that the volume through headphones is on the lower side, the two speakers are adequate albeit not the most pleasing.  When I enable bluetooth and the audio is handled by my SuperTooth powered speaker, it is loud and rich because of the SuperTooth and most pleasing.  The SuperTooth bluetooth speaker is a wonderful solution to this audio issue although you have to lug around yet another device.  I do hope that Toshiba does do something about this audio issue as many have reported problems.  Another device you could use is a headphone amplifier.  I have that too and it works beautifully and of course it is a very small accessory to carry with you.

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

Check out this app for your volume needs:

http://androidaudiohacks.com/home/

gigihall

go to settings multimedia then audioenhanc then srs multimed uncheck def settings.

lastultz

Solution to headphone sound quality

I bought a Thrive three months ago and was very disappointed with the sound quality. I did some research for a solution to this problem and found a mini audio amp specifically made for the Thrive. I contacted the guy and bought one. It has solved my problems. I am blown away by how good it works. It is small, light weight, easy to travel with, and easy to use. It cost $59.95 + shipping and is worth ever penny.

For more information please email Larry at larrylevandowski@Gmail.com.
jdoc

Re: go to settings multimedia then audioenhanc then srs multimed uncheck def settings.

This will give you a great deal more control over the sound quality. In fact check through all the multimedia settings and uncheck all the default settings and set your own. I recommend playing some music while you make the changes so you can hear the differences as you go.

Keep in mind that this is not a home stereo so there is only so much you can do.

jdoc