Occasional Contributor
DaiWood

ICS : What DOESN'T WORK

[ Edited ]

Please post your problems that occurred after upgrading your Toshiba Thrive AT100 to OFFICIAL ICS upgrade.

For example, one of recent posts states that the full size ports are not compatible with ICS (I suspect ignorance on part of the poster or some other kind of b.s.,  but it would be very disturbing news if it is confirmed and true).

There is a lot of FUD and misinformation about what works and what doesn't out there, people often mistaken HoneyComb apps' incompatibility with ICS versus actual ICS problems, or problems that should be related to Thrive device itself rather than the usability differences between HC and ICS and so on... so I'd like to have it compiled in one topic if possible.

/edit:

I would like to omit any third party app's "own" problems in this thread (as i.e game's problem posted below, which is most likely game's incompatibility with ICS probably due to use of Google backup restoring  old version, which should be easily fixed by uninstalling old HC version of game - or best NOT using Google's restore service after upgrade - and installing version for ICS when/if available). Obviously many apps for HoneyComb will not work on Ice Cream Sandwich, and anyone with a lot of paid-for apps for HC should have researched will they work on ICS, or is there free update that allows them to work on ICS, *before* jumping on ICS upgrade. Let's not forget the official ICS upgrade is a CHOICE for you, and you - the user - decide whether you want to install it or not. It is not Toshiba's problem nor responsibility to know which of your third party apps designed for Honey Comb will or will not work with Ice Cream Sandwich, have some common sense, folks.

So let's stick only to the apps that come with Thrive's official ICS upgrade, because these are the only ones Toshiba can (and may) fix in future updates...

Bugs submitted or confirmed in other threads:

------------------------------------------------------

Android OS : Home button restarts

Pressing Home button causes restart

Android OS : Web Browser hangs, freezes, crashes

Most likely problem with Flash or Java plugins?

Android OS : Keyboard unexpected behavior

Keyboard does not close when supposed to

Keyboard runs (pop-up) unexpectedly

Keyboard closes (disappears) unexpectedly

Toshiba File Manager : SD Card loss of full access

Cannot copy, delete or move files on SD cards [thread]

PvtSnafu

Re: ICS : What DOESN'T WORK

Well my personal favorite is the Home button/restart issue. Press the home button, and it will restart. Or constant brower hang up on any site with flash or java. Apps closing & freezing. Keyboard not closing or popping up randomly. As far as app issues, Angry birds when ever an ad pops up(again flash).  Not sure of other app issues since I have downloading any others, due to the system issues..

Occasional Advisor
jw14211

It's like all of a sudden things changed for me.
For a while, ICS seemed to be working fine, until I started going to my regular websites that I go to on my pce.
FACEBOOK,, sometimes it crashes when trying to watch an uploaded video,, the "REQUEST DESKTOP SITE" is iffy at best, but usually reverts back to mobile.
NETFLIX JUST WON'T SHOW A VIDEO,, this started after I downloaded an update, so prolly not an ICS issue.

I did loose some paid for games after the ICS update.
Normal browsing, no matter what browser I use is hit and miss currently, LOTS OF CRASHES., even the ones that I go to, that show videos, they start to play, then crash shortly thereafter.

THANK YOU SIR FOR AT LEAST CARING.

J. W. CARTER
Occasional Contributor
DaiWood

[ Edited ]

@PvtSnafu

Does the Home button problem happen constantly?

@jw14211

Browser problems you've described are with the built-in browser, not with some third-party browser, right?

As for your facebook or netflix app - they often treat us (users) as free beta testers, that's why my general rule is NOT TO UPDATE apps  when it is not necessary... I allow it only if there is a security problem, or some major bug is fixed. For example on my Thrive (still with Android 3 - HoneyComb) all newer Skype versions either freeze or video doesn't work, so I simply skip any Skype updates and keep using the last Skype version that work perfectly.

Occasional Advisor
jw14211

It happens with ALL browsers, pages start to load, then crash.
Dolphin Stock, Chrome  ICS browser,  those are the only three I've tried so far.
A lot of sites use flash, so I'm feeling empty on browsers trying to find one that is stable on the thrive.

Netflix is working now, but I feel it was nothing that I did,, it's them, because I have to type in the search field to get a movie to play,,, even after unchecking a lot of stuff in ICS devl. settings.
I put my thrive up for sale, but I don't think people are going to buy it.

I'm saving up for another tablet, and I don't know what to buy at the moment. BUT IT WON'T BE AN IPAD.

J. W. CARTER
Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

[ Edited ]
Um, the poster is not full of BS, I was actually invited to be a beta tester last summer.

You misread my post. I have a phone built for ICS (no upgrades/hardware ready). Speaking with others, their phones exhibited the same slow browser issues, etc. after upgrading from gingerbread to ICS (no hc for phones). The same problems - but not to the same degree - were noticed in other tablets.

I was comparing the work needed by Toshiba for their compatibility with the overlay ecosystem, the full size ports AND the implementation of ICS. I got to see the inner workings while trying to clean up the SOD issues of the initial Thrive releases (hc 3.0). They had a problem with integrating Google GPS functions (specifically location based services in some internal apps and Toshiba processes) - which if the tablet was factory reset (or as in my case - new stock tablet, set up from ground zero with no location and no GPS), weeks would go on with no sod issue.

More likely than nit, many of the thrive tablets were later sold with UPGRADED versions of 3.2 (Toshiba didn't exactly make a killing with the early inset of sod). I noticed in other tablet forums and review, there were problems upgrading from 3.1 to 3.2. But a SPECIFIC to Toshiba problem was the SD card slot - which was not identified internally as the traditional mnt/sdcard format. Hence - the hardware was not integrated correctly for later upgrades.

You will see various complaints about he upgrade to ICS all around the forums - unless you root. This isn't the only tablet to have problems with ICS - which for each issue, I have waited for feedback before deciding to upgrade. I am still on 3.1, and only the later updates of dolphin HD give me a small crash problem. The apps I've acquired for versions 2.3 and up, ALL work quite well on the HTC ONE X, so ICS is NOT as incompatible with earlier apps like you think.

I do also have an iPad, because some apps (such as CNBC, xfinity, hbogo, etc. work better on ios) (Comcast in bed with apple, held out 2 years, then gave in). I may sell this tablet - since it has the 3.1 on it, and all ports work as they should. With the case, two backs, an unused replacement battery, and still in wrap 32gb usb drive, plus full size SD card still working formatted fat - the new user can get a very good tablet still functioning quite well, or choose their own upgrade path. I am getting a fire HD - and don't know when my next tablet will be, but I like the Samsung note lines :-)
katiebug

I have similar problems .. sites take very long to load or crash; some sites screen doesn't respond (zillow); and, most annoying, browsers will just stop and return to home screen for no reason.I was told Toshiba was working on fix but today fought out they don't want to work with customers about the ICS causing problems. I am also looking to buy new tablet but I"m going to buy a Samsung running windows 8 rather than android OS. This has to be the most expensive paperweight I've ever purchased :-( always had Toshiba laptops thrive turned out to be real disappointment.
Occasional Contributor
mpop

[ Edited ]

I consider the lack of fastboot as a MAJOR bug.

Say what you will, but that lack of fast boot and the the locking of a device I payed $400 for a MAJOR bug, and it means I will not buy another toshiba ever again unless they fix that bug.  It is as stupid as the "secure boot" microsoft is trying.

teddytejero

After a long wait ... november 2011 - september 2012. I installed stock ICS in EU. I had a lot of issues like the ones in this thread.

Finally my Thrive just died (MB dead). I had to move heaven and hell to get it fixed under warranty. 2 months later I got the tablet back with 3.1. I couldn"t even upgrade to ICS.

Finally decided to root and put CM10 on the Thrive. Never been happier !!!!

Thanks to all the devs - not getting pay from Toshiba - but making a bug free working operating system for the Thrive. Hardware is ok ... but some Japanese IT Director should take responability - old school - and shoot himself.

400 euro for a buggy tablet ?

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

Android OS : Web Browser hangs, freezes, crashes

Most likely problem with Flash or Java plugins?

This is more than likely a memory leak issue with Tegra 2 chipsets that is made worse with ICS.

Occasional Builder
reverted

I'm having trouble with the screen freezing for a second then starting again and going completely black and coming back a second later. Along with the other problems stated and the speaker making a popping noise randomly even if the sound is off.
Occasional Advisor
indest

teddytejero wrote:

After a long wait ... november 2011 - september 2012. I installed stock ICS in EU. I had a lot of issues like the ones in this thread.

Finally my Thrive just died (MB dead). I had to move heaven and hell to get it fixed under warranty. 2 months later I got the tablet back with 3.1. I couldn"t even upgrade to ICS.

Finally decided to root and put CM10 on the Thrive. Never been happier !!!!

Thanks to all the devs - not getting pay from Toshiba - but making a bug free working operating system for the Thrive. Hardware is ok ... but some Japanese IT Director should take responability - old school - and shoot himself.

400 euro for a buggy tablet ?

Glad to here :smileyhappy:

Device: Toshiba Thrive 10" running Jellybean (4.1.2)
serba_tech

My Thrive was a very useful tablet until the infamous ICS update, since the update the browser (dolphin, opera and defalt) hangs or freeze or close unexpectely like the others usera said, seems a problem with the plugins and web pages with java stuff, sadly the tablet now is just another gadget on my desk
Yknotme

Worst is browser crashing, I've tried 4 and have same issue with all. Also my touch screen seems to now take multipule touches to work properly, I hit the same spot 2-3 times to get it to respond. I have cleaned cashe, rebooted, and reset to factory more times than I can count. I've even tried to run without any new apps installed, worked better, for a while, but what's the point? I keep checking back to see if they're going to fix these issues cause I wouldn't give this tablet to my worst enemy as it is now.

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

Many folks have reported that the touch is more sensitive with ICS.  Try a lighter touch and see if it is more responsive.

mo131618

My problems; no matter how lightly I touch buttons/apps/ect. I have to tap them 2-3 times for it to respond. I'm having problems with my SD card (telling me its full when I know its not), my camera will not work when I pull up my camera, however it will work threw kik, in the camera though it keeps crashing/freezing, I cannot take pictures or videos however you can see everything threw the camera, it keeps saying its not responding.. YouTube keeps crashing not loading videos, even after I updated it, Facebook crashes will not respond even after I updated it , keyboard will pop up unexcpetedly or close unexcpetedly, my tablet is just slow. I have been getting this "thing" where I'm on my tablet and my screen looks like it cracks but it doesn't. I have to turn my tablet off then turn it back on for it to go away. My speakers pop and crack whenever I close apps, I have to reboot my tablet at least 4 times a day. Browser problems with default and dolphin crashing, lagging, stops working. And these are only the things I can think of off the top of my head at them moment. Help please?
andresrotman

I have the same problems with browsers, native, Chrome, and Dolphin. Perhaps we must wait Jelly Bean ? Or a Fix from Toshiba !!!! 

Occasional Builder
reverted

The odds are very low for either of those happening I think Toshiba purposely left bugs in the ics build to try and force people to upgrade to their new tablets. As long as they took to release ics it should have been flawless and it's been out for months now and no attempt has been made at addressing the issues we all face. So they either have one part time coder working for them or they just don't care. The people who make roms would have had a fix out the same week if not the next day for some of the problems at least and they just do it for fun they have nothing at stake. I am ordering my nexus 7 tonight and giving my thrive to my 8 year old and I even feel bad about that. So long Toshiba you lost me and everyone I know as customers for your products. Good luck everyone you'll need lots of it.
andresrotman

just in case the company should apply this strategy, at least let us live with software running at decent condition and offer a trade in..... for example, don't you think is better for them in loyalty terms ?