ladyStang

Re: ICS Update for THRiVE 10"

Lucky for you because after ICS my thrive is trash and I am highly disappointed and will NEVER recommend ANY Toshiba item!!!!!!!!11

ladyStang

My thrive is junk after ICS now... I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER ITEM FROM TOSHIBA OR RECOMMEND ...

Occasional Advisor
indest

Anyone selling their discontinued, unrootable, ICS paper weight? If so, please PM me an asking price. 

Device: Toshiba Thrive 10" running Jellybean (4.1.2)
andrewking

After my Thrive downloaded and installed ICS 4.0.4, I too am now stuck in a boot loop. I already attempted to clear the cache and I also wiped the device using the built in recovery utility. The device is stock and has not been modified with any software or alternate operating systems. I have also removed the battery and performed a device reset/wipe afterwards.

The behavior I am seeing is the nova/explosion image that repeatedly cycles, blinks then starts again.

I would like to know if there is a way I can be provided with the OS files to manually install the update using the recovery console built into the device. I attempted this already with an update apk file but it was not recognized by the recovery console. I assume the OS files are not in an APK format which is why it wasn't recognized by the device.

I bought the device almost one year from today which may mean that I am out of warranty. The update was downloaded/installed on December 11th and has not worked since the update was applied.

Occasional Advisor
indest

andrewking wrote:

After my Thrive downloaded and installed ICS 4.0.4, I too am now stuck in a boot loop. I already attempted to clear the cache and I also wiped the device using the built in recovery utility. The device is stock and has not been modified with any software or alternate operating systems. I have also removed the battery and performed a device reset/wipe afterwards.

The behavior I am seeing is the nova/explosion image that repeatedly cycles, blinks then starts again.

I would like to know if there is a way I can be provided with the OS files to manually install the update using the recovery console built into the device. I attempted this already with an update apk file but it was not recognized by the recovery console. I assume the OS files are not in an APK format which is why it wasn't recognized by the device.

I bought the device almost one year from today which may mean that I am out of warranty. The update was downloaded/installed on December 11th and has not worked since the update was applied.

Talk to Dale. He will be able to restore HC for you. Form there, I would avoid ICS and install Jellybean via any of the 3 CM10 ROMS availible. 

andrewking

I am assuming that Dale is an individual here and can be reached via Forum PM? As far as the ROMS for Jellybean, I have not seen any posted here. Since I lothe to do something that would be considered "not supported" is this something that Toshiba has/can publish?

Occasional Advisor
indest

[ Edited ]

Well getting HC back on your thrive, after you installed ICS, is not supported by Toshiba. In fact, it is frowned upon and Toshiba will not help you downgrade (saying it is not possible).

Dale has an account here, but it is best to contact him at the thriveforums.org. 

Also, CM10 is not offically supported by Toshiba. From my experience, listening to Toshiba almost made me live with a $400 paper weight. So I say screw them and I now install whatever the hell I want on my device that is no longer under warranty by Toshiba.

tl;dr: If you hate to do anything that is not supported by Toshiba, enjoy your new paper weight. Although not documented, it is the amazing new feature found in Toshiba's ICS ROM. 

Occasional Contributor
russski

Monday I went out to Target and purchased an iPad 4 th generation 16 gb. Yesterday I got all my info up to date with Square Trade, a 2 year warranty that I took out on my 32 gb Thrive. Hopefully they will fix or substitute a rebuilt or new Thrive so that I can at least use it for Netflix or YouTube.
Occasional Contributor
russski

I went to service station mgr, checked for updates, came back with none.
Occasional Contributor
russski

I guess I could use some help.
Occasional Advisor
indest

[ Edited ]

Wait you are on HC? If so, then what help do you need? After all, not seeing the ICS update is a blessing because, it will save you headaches lol.

If you are on ICS, then, the service station won't work because there are no more updates... ICS is the last update we may ever see.

Occasional Contributor
russski

I just use this mainly for a paper weight or maybe my outside extra warranty will replace this tablet.
Occasional Advisor
indest

OK, I am confused. What OS are you running?

Occasional Advisor
1shado1

indest wrote:

OK, I am confused. What OS are you running?

He has been running ICS at least since 08/11/12, when he made his first post in this forum that he was having issues with ICS.   :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
russski

I'm on ICS.
Occasional Contributor
charmane

Anything new with our thrive here? Any updates? Upgrade or downgrade? Is there any way we can fix the bugs?
Occasional Advisor
indest

Really depends on the bugs you face. I know several ways to fix certain things. For example, if you have a mem leak issue with your browser, it be best to download FF (this is by far the biggest ICS problem). 

Honestly, I don't want to derail this thread to a "person xyz problem" thread. Instead, I have sent you a PM. From there, lets talk about some apps to aliviate the issue, alternative apps to help with stability problems and some tweaks that can improve preformance.

twofalls

I see no notice for an ICS update in Service Station. I've checked for updates several times and still get nothing. Any ideas?
Occasional Contributor
WillPittenger

As noted about 10,000 previous times, only WiFi models sold in the USA can see the update.  If you bought a 4G model or purchased a model elsewhere, you're out of luck.  It is doubtful you will ever see any upgrades to those models.

Based on my personal experiance and reports from others, even if you do have a USA WiFi model, you may be better off either sticking with Honeycomb or rooting.

Will Pittenger
twofalls

Sorry, failed to mention that it's WiFi only and bought here in Nevada. I've seen people say they've had positive experiences and I've seen ones who've had bad experiences with the upgrade. Right now I'm mainly just curious as to why I'm not able to see an update notice. For now I'm going to be doing more research before I decide whether to upgrade.