Qkix

How do we upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)?

With the release of Android 4.0 (AKA Ice Cream Sandwich) today, what options do current Thrive owners have for upgrading to the new OS?

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Re: How do we upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)?

It's wait until Toshiba has the time to build it, test it, and compile it into an update.

Or, wait until one of the awesome indie developers get's the ICS Source, and builds it, tests it, and compiles it into a custom rom. (But generally indipendant devs don't see the source until about a month after release.)

So unless you have skills or access to this stuff, it's you wait until it's provided.

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
Occasional Contributor
stephenju

austeregrim wrote:

Or, wait until one of the awesome indie developers get's the ICS Source, and builds it, tests it, and compiles it into a custom rom. (But generally indipendant devs don't see the source until about a month after release.)

So unless you have skills or access to this stuff, it's you wait until it's provided.

That's assuming Google releases ICS sources. As far as I know, Google hasn't even released all Honeycomb source code necessary for 3rd party build yet.

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Since google actually doesn't make the devices that run Android, they (google) don't have to realease source for anything but the kernel, as far as I know. 

So yeah google doesn't know the hardware you're going to run android on, so drivers and hardware support is not required in the source that Google Provides. No hardware support, means you can't actually run a bland android build on anything.

Which is why source from actual manufacture companies (OEMs) like Toshiba, for their hardware, are required to build a google release for that hardware. Where we already have source provided by toshiba, we can, once google releases the source for ICS, mold the two together, and get a custom ICS build for the Thrive. 

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

[ Edited ]
And Google will never release Honeycomb source code.  They "played" a joker with this release and considered it an in-between stop-gap unofficial Android release.  Code was only supplied to select manufacturers.  ICS on the other hand is an "official" release and the code will be made public.

stephenju wrote
That's assuming Google releases ICS sources. As far as I know, Google hasn't even released all Honeycomb source code necessary for 3rd party build yet.

Qkix

Thanks for the answers but I was actually looking for an answer from Toshiba. My guess would be "never," but I can always hope.

Occasional Advisor
jaded

good luck on getting an answer from Toshiba on ICS we still haven't gotten even a hint on 3.2 or on any of the other problems people have asked about.

Qkix

I've noticed Toshiba is a little lacking in the customer relations department.  I should have waited for Amazon's tablet; they have excellent customer service.

Occasional Advisor
jaded

Toshiba put out a couple updates for the thrive not to long after it was first available... including a fix for the most serious problem people were having the SOD problem. So you really can't say they have done too bad. As for Fire  versus Thrive... ha ha that's an apples to oranges. If all you want to do is read Amazon  books, get Email and access the internet Fire is probably fine. If you want to do more good luck. Besides just because Amazon has good customer service on regular purchases doesn't mean Fire owners are going to get quick fixes for problems. Since Fire uses a highly cusomized older version of Android good luck on getting an ipdate for ICS for Fire.

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Understand this is a community supported forum. I do this on my free time. Toshiba rarely answers posts especially about "the future".

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Please stand by... I believe some news is coming very soon.

Jim

Regular Advisor
dalepl

Jim.

You are such a tease.  Thanks for chiming in.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
Occasional Advisor
jaded

Sounds good to me.

Occasional Contributor
flipper44

If we get Ice Cream Sanwich in a timely fashion..along with a continued Unlocked bootloader and fastboot access....I and the rest of the Toshiba community will Woop for Joy...

You will also Put Toshiba on a bettr footing in the Overall Android Community. You would be seen as Pro Developer and Pro Owner

Occasional Contributor
flipper44

[ Edited ]

PS JIM...

"Very Soon" Is really Short in my Specific time space continuum...

margriff

From the Toshiba website:

Details: 

Just bought a Thrive with Honeycomb 3.1 and I see that there will be an update to 3.2 and later 4.0. Will I be able to update the Android OS?

Answer this Question

Answers

Staff Answer

A: 

Yes, there is an app included with the Toshiba Thrive Tablet called Toshiba Service Station. All updates for the Thrive Tablet are pushed out using this application.

3 months ago

Qkix

Cool, that's great news!  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor
brettreading

but will the UK get ICS???? We are currently on 3.1.05.5.0006 and don't know how this compares to. 0032.
Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Unfortunately, the Ice Cream would melt if we tried to ship it to the UK... untill they can get adequate freezing technology. Every country 'across the pond' as you say, will sadly, not be getting ICS. =((

(I kid, of course)

- Signature Starts Now -
- End Signature -
Boriquaman

Make this wait worth waiting for!... and make it over the top for us!

Common Jim!.....:smileyvery-happy: