Regular Advisor
dalepl

Re: How do we upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)?

Jim is from Toshiba and has already said the Thrive will be getting ICS.  Just hang in there.  It will come.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
Occasional Contributor
WillPittenger

I'm beginning to doubt that. I bought a Thrive 10" 32gb WiFi unit back in Febuary. Still waiting for ICS.
Will Pittenger
Occasional Contributor
flhthemi

[ Edited ]

oozzzii wrote:

It is pretty sad to see everyone beg for toshiba's attention only to not get any. I was on the same boat with my thrive and got fed up so I sold it..figured I'd take the loss. Now looking for an Asus product, they really do stand behind these products. Toshiba misled us and as a result I'm telling anyone I know to stay away from their products.

Better pick another one. I have a Asus TF201 and it's not making me happy. Tho we have been updated to ICS, it's not without it's problems. Bluetooth audio lags when doing anything involved with sound, it doesn't work with Skype or Google Talk or Yahoo Messenger. There are random browser crashes. It re-boots for no apparent reason. Some games just wont run on it and should because they are toted as being FOR Nvidia Tegra and the TF201. Wifi, GPS are pretty weak on it. I can't get a GPS signal at all unless I'm outside.

We are SUPPOSED to get yet another update this week to address SOME of these issues. For 500.00, I shouldn't have been a beta tester for Asus and that's MY view of things.

So, the grass may be greener.........

Qkix

So... It's been almost eight months since Jim and Toshiba said "It's coming."  Where is it?

I think I'm just going to root my Thrive and install a ROM, and then never buy Toshiba again.  Once bitten, twice shy, you know.

Occasional Contributor
WillPittenger

Qkix wrote:

So... It's been almost eight months since Jim and Toshiba said "It's coming."  Where is it?

I think I'm just going to root my Thrive and install a ROM, and then never buy Toshiba again.  Once bitten, twice shy, you know.

From what I have seen in other posts, that won't work.  But good luck anyway.  Expect your warranty to be void.

Will Pittenger
heartfrappe

I wouldn't recomend the ROM idea... I've heard a lot of folks have bricked their tablets that way.

I only just received ICS on one of my many handheld devices last week from Samsung. Now I have three others that  I'm waiting on. Trust me, the wait is worth it, but it's not that much better than Honeycomb...

Just cool it a bit and hang out.

I've had multiple Tosh products in my time and they have all been awesome... Just like the Thrive... 

jim-s

i think it's time to start the countdown clock.

Summer begins in the Northern Hemisphere on June 20, 2012, at 7:09 P.M. (EDT).

3 days, 5 hours, 19 min+/-

Niquele

[ Edited ]
30 hours left... Will Toshiba sleep on it?
THRiVE 10" 32gb
My Android device did not ask me for any credit card info on first use...
grimlock_smash

[ Edited ]

Just picked up a second tablet for project deployment times at work (Motorola Xoom 10.1 32gb).  Considering that the shipping on it sucks... I still might get it faster than ICS on my Thrive.  Its the 19th.  I am still hopeful for ICS today or tomorrow.

My big wait for something ICS is a single app which requires ICS (VPN Client for work) means when running around through customer buildings, I dont need to carry my full laptop.

headalv

The Toshiba stock has been going down for as long as I can remember. I do think that one of their problems is that they are not responsive to the early adopters. If you look at it on an upgrade basis there is a lack of concern with keeping current customers, whether it is with continued timely support or in the new cutting edge technology. Even though the Asus tablets that have been upgraded to ICS have had problems, their tablet lineup outweighs the Toshiba offerings. If Toshiba wants to gain market share and be considered a leader in the tablet arena they will need to improve the way that their customers feel about their brand. Until this happens I feel that their stock and their shareholders (of which I am one) will continue to look elsewhere for those companies that preform on all aspects of their operations. If the ICS upgrade is an issue then Toshiba needs to increase funding to its development teams to complete this task in a timely manner. Not allowing their customers to leave dissatisfied. Without customer the stock will not preform and that will lead to a loss in confidence and shareholders abandoning their stock. But I digress, there needs to be strong and continued support for their current tablets if they want to discontinue support the do so but if support is still being offered it needs to be timely.

-headalv

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Just a quick note to acknowledge that we've missed the target of launching ICS for Thrive before the end of Spring.

I don't have a date to quote but do confirm that we're still working on it. I expect that the release is more than a few weeks out but not more than a few months.

Wish I could provide a more exact timeframe. For now all I can say is that it will be released as soon as it is ready.

Jim

Occasional Contributor
The_Red_Baron

promises, promises, HA!!!

tie us to the tracks, without a pillow & blanket  !!!

seems as if you might to be the ONLY person that even know how to spell 'CUSTOMER' @ Toshiba. 

missed the date, come on, this is not news.

missing this 'update' and releasing new tablet product(s) just reinforces what most of us have been saying. it's all a smoke screen.

if what could be never comes to fruition, we all might all well just make a bonfire with our money or join the lost souls, that still support the fruit company.

i'm beginning to believe that the translation for 'customer' is the same as the translation for 'SUCKER'.

end of rant, for now.

Occasional Contributor
WillPittenger

Actually, at Toshiba, "C.U.S.T.O.M.E.R." is an acronym.

Will Pittenger
Bill_In_Racine

Jim,

Thanks for the update.  It's not the answer I'm sure we wanted to hear, however, I am grateful that you were able/willing to give us an update and let us know that while it's not ready yet, it is coming.

I'd rather have you push a release that works than one that causes more headaches.

I've loved my Thrive since the day I got it.  I use it for 90% of my computing needs and it makes a fantastic e-reader.

I can't wait to see what ICS gives us on this device.  I've seen ICS on other Tegra 2 devices and it's slicker than snot on a doorknob, I'm thinking we're going to be very happy with it on our Thrive.

Thanks again for the update!

Bill

SuperSport

I'd like to second that... Thank you for the information, even though it's not exactly what everyone wanted to hear. I too would prefer a well planned and working release than a release that is going to need a hard reset every day.

Looking forward to what you end up with.
Occasional Builder
nickbass

I am dissapointed, but not surprised. What drew me to this tablet in the first place is that it is unique with many options and user capabilities...highlight being able to play shadowgun on hdtv through hdmi controlled by a usb controller, store nearly my entire movie collection on a SD card, and a pda for clinical rotations. With that being said, being an early adopter with a 75 dollar investment drop within 4-6 months with sleep of death, wifi issues, volume and audio jack issues, for it all to be replaced by an apple style replicant that does not boast the same options I like about my thrive..that was prioritized with ICS. I have no intentions of threatening to get rid of my thrive because I still love it, besides now that it is d/c'ed what would I get for it anyway? This is just a statement toward a company with terrible customer-anything, to which this tablet is the first and last Toshiba product I will ever own. When it finally does get ICS, I will be pleasantly surprised, unless we get pushed back again for the exite's replacement tablet. Thank you for allowing me to make my last post on this forum.
TBOnPhxAZ

Well, I spoke a thrive tech today.. They said the ICS update is still coming.. So, I can wait a bit more.. I have heard bad things about trying to ROOT it out.. So, I will wait and see..

Regular Contributor
gberpa

I share these feelings. However, as 'nickbass' writes, I am very disappointed with Toshiba's handling of the Thrive updates and customer support. Rather than build on a base of support for those who chose the Thrive for its unique flexibility, they chose to follow the crowd. Get real Toshiba, you won't beat Apple at that game.

I still am fond of my Thrive, using it as a typical tablet but an extensible one AND with a keyboard, mouse, USB hub and external storage as a substitute for a laptop (which died a few months ago). But while I was considering a Toshiba laptop at one point when I was excited with the Thrive, those feelings are gone. I will go with another brand (not HP either) or wait for the Windows 8 Surface tablet.
TBOnPhxAZ

I don't think they are trying to compete with Apple.. With Microsoft release Win 8 this year.. Which is making all touch screen.. it may the base for a Toshiba tablet PC... That is where the technology is going.. So, I can wait for my thrive to update to ICS.. Until then I will use it on a daily basis.. It is a wonderful piece of Tech..

roughneck0101

Android is Android on any tablet..yes I want ICS and I want it now but Gingerbread is working just fine for me in the meantime.

Toshiba is really no different then any other company out there.  I would rather wait for them to get the bugs out with ICS for thrive, then download it and then have a ton of problems.  

There sure are a lot of whiners on this site.