Occasional Contributor
Alcatraz

Re: How do we upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)?

Woot can't wait for Ice cream sandwich.:smileyhappy:
Occasional Contributor
Elias987

https://www.toshibalife.com/laptops/five-things-make-toshiba-at100-tablet-unique

Check this out!! its about the AT100, that means THRiVE outside the USA, it says that THRiVE has android 3.2!! It was tweeted by TOSHIBA UK!

Regular Advisor
austeregrim

Well, they can't get good info on their blog?

The thrive website says Android 3.1.

The toshiba blog says 3.2. 

I dont know, sounds like a typo for a bait and switch.

- Signature Starts Now -
I don't work for Toshiba, so please consider my advice Free; like Open Source.
*OH HAIZ! I rooted teh Thrives*
- End Signature -
Occasional Contributor
flipper44

What did I just hear from toshiba...never mind, it's just Crickets Chirpping again......

Occasional Contributor
flipper44

Well its Official Asus, Motorola, Samsung and Acer are all promising Android 4.0 on their Flagship Honeycomb tablets in releases....All by January...What have we heard from Toshiba? Crickets.

Toshiba Why are you bothering to put out other tablets? you realize most Android aficionados won't buy from a company that won't keep them on the cutting edge, and when people do research on the blogs, you will continually fail to make any Good Headlines..

Do the right thing

Occasional Contributor
flipper44

Jim I noticed your response on 10/19 about something soon....were you mistakenly referencing the 3.2 announcement on 10/21...
Otter393

[ Edited ]

I just received a Thrive for Christmas after all of the stores told us that all 3.0 android devices would receive the ICS upgrade. I spoke on the phone to Toshiba support last night to learn that they will not push ICS to the Thrive. I just learned at the same time that Samsung has changed it's mind on releasing ICS due to owner feedback. I will hate to get rid of my Thrive as I have already fallen in love with it but after other issues with a former Toshiba Laptop this may be the last straw for me and Toshiba. I will probably return my Thrive for an ASUS.

Maybe Toshiba should read it's own forums and take note. lol

Occasional Contributor
xghostyxjokerx

JIM- you told us some news was coming very soon now its been 3 weeks and we havent heard anything yet please confirm... thanks!

oozzzii

Also itching to learn where this stands..I have enjoyed my thrive and hope to continue doing so with ICS. I must say, saw the transformer prime running ICS yesterday and it was sick, really nice tablet but no regrets :-)

Toshiba please share some details on ICS for 10.1“ owners.
Occasional Builder
DeeDawg

After being an early adopter (and booster) of the Thrive I slowly became ever more discouraged by Toshiba's abysmal customer support, its poorly-disguised hostility toward devs, and its apparent inability to live up to its contractual obligations...all of which combine to totally neutralize for me the benefits of this otherwise fine tablet. So I decided to move on. Over Christmas I hit the jackpot and scored 3 Transformer Primes...one for me, and two for relatives. Great machine (although I actually wish it was a little thicker!). True to its word, Asus trotted out its ICS update on January 11, and it is flawless. Now eagerly awaiting the promised bootloader unlocker. Asus has exactly the right policy here (the exact opposite of Toshiba's): 'we locked it in order to support Google DRM, but if you want to unlock it we'll give you a tool to do so; by using it you'll void your warranty and not be able to rent Google videos'. Lightening-fast delivery of the latest OS version? Check. Treating customers like adults instead of children? Check. Industry-leading hardware? Check. Supporting the dev community? Check. Toshiba could learn a lot, to its benefit, by emulating some of its competitors. But it seems determined not to.
oozzzii

Thanks for sharing this information regarding the Asus transformer..now I do regret this. Will think twice when considering a Toshiba product in the future and certainly will not recommend their tablets to friends that trust my advice. The hardware is great, but a shame it can't be supported properly so us, end users, can take full advantage of it.
Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

So Jim,in October you said "I have some news coming very soon." I'd say "very soon" has come and gone,what do you have?
jpiekuss

Not holding my breath for the upgrade to 4.0 ICS I live in the uk and still ain't got the update to 3.2 yet.bee regularly checking the service station and it always tells me no updates.

Looks like pretty soon I will be way behind everyone else I know simply because I got a Toshiba.
moxlon69

For those of us waiting on ICS, there are at least two developers working on ICS for the thrive, with one beta confirmed to be on the way. For those of you who would rather wait for Toshiba's official update, good luck on that. I'm sure it will eventually be released, but I'm still waiting on word for fixes for some of the faults introduced in the 3.2.1 update (that have been fixed by the development community already). My old man bought a refurb thrive and couldn't even update it to 3.2.1 (as has been mentioned in these forums and elsewhere by other owners).

Good luck, and thanks Toshiba for the great hardware, and thanks devs for the improved software. Hope with

these Thrive sales that have been happening, more devs jump on to the platform, because it really is a great

tablet.

mdparent03

Who and where are these developers? I would like to test for them if they have released anything. I have been playing with a beta version for my HTC Thunderbolt with no data and it is awesome. Would be great on the Thrive.

Occasional Contributor
Gregger35

Just another thriver hoping my voice will be heard in hopes for ics4.
quasitraveler

[ Edited ]

Are you kidding!!! Toshiba was dead last in upgrading from Honeycomb 3.1 to 3.2....all of the major competitors had allready commited to an Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade well before Toshibe had positioned themselves to upgrade the Thrive to 3.2!!! The new Android 5.0 Jelly Bean will be released before Toshiba will ever upgrade your Thrive with 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich! Even though I used to be a staunch customer of Toshiba I am so glad I got rid of my Thrive and took another route. Toshiba, in my opinion, has lost their footing these last couple of years. 

Additionally, I really feel for Thrive owners because overall the Thrive is a great machine. However, Toshiba just does not show an interest in their customers anymore. I read through these forums and do not ever get the feeling that they care one bit about what their customer's concerns are. And the majority of concerns are justifiable! I also know that they have a team that keeps up with these forums and at the least! they could have some sort of response, whether positive or negative. I am guessing that they do not believe that a good percentage of discouraged Thrive owners are going to be very hesitant about buying anything Toshiba in the future. Their attitude has become shameful...

JohnStaton84

Toshiba was my first laptop back in 2002. My first tablet in 2011... That's where it will end however... With such a gross lack of support, it will also be my last toshiba product of any sort. I can only imagine if the lack of support and communication for a cutting edge product, gateway to the future, and transition away from person computers is this poor, I shutter to think about what it must be like for their wide variety of other products that I'll never spend my money on with this company. 

I registered on the forums to let the company know that it hasn't just let me down, but I have a child, and I will raise him to know that Toshiba's poor support is the reason that we dont purchase their products. So this is probably the first time you've really help set a trend, a trend of new generations of consumers who won't be buying your products.

I own a THRiVE, my fiance owns a THRiVE & 11 other people that I'm either close friends with or related to own a THRiVE. I work as a store manager for a retail chain that sells your tablet, and I've stressed to my associates the lack of communication and support that Toshiba has to offer after the purchase has been made. During weekly conference calls, I get to pass this information along to other store managers as well as our district and regional managers.

Don't let this some across as hate for your company, rather a dissapointing blow from a company I once held in higher regard as having better support and customer service. I'm not demanding an Ice Cream Sandwich release date, or even demanding that we see the update ever. I'm meerly suggesting that having open lines of cummunication with the very people who took the time to not only registor on your forums to provide invaluable feedback, but the same people who've spent hard earned money on your product in a time where money is tight for most people and we have numerous other choices.

I'm sure Jim has done a bang up job as a "moderator" of the forums keep this language clean and it spam free. However he's been quite the poor embassador for information to the community be it his fault or not. It's always the public figure that takes the fall, never the assisstant coach, always the head coach.

I hope other THRiVE owners will read this agree that I'm not being out of line, rather trying to sum up our dissapointment as a whole in the most honest and polite way possible. I expected better than this Toshiba...

Sincerly,

A parting customer...

Occasional Contributor
MBBailey123

I have to agree with your assesment of Toshiiba.  Their continuing support of products makes HP look like an outstanding company and I don't like their support that much either, but it is way better than Toshiba.  There were very few updates to my labtop and when System 7 came out they didn't even bother to mention it on their support page for my machine.

Toshiba has the tendancy to come out with great technology products, but lacks the followthrough to gain customer loyalty.  Over time it will be a tragic error on their part.  I wonder who will buy them out.

Regular Contributor
Covered

MBBailey123 wrote:

I have to agree with your assesment of Toshiiba.  Their continuing support of products makes HP look like an outstanding company and I don't like their support that much either, but it is way better than Toshiba.  There were very few updates to my labtop and when System 7 came out they didn't even bother to mention it on their support page for my machine.

Toshiba has the tendancy to come out with great technology products, but lacks the followthrough to gain customer loyalty.  Over time it will be a tragic error on their part.  I wonder who will buy them out.

labtop568 up, 80 down

A word that inexperienced college freshmen (most often girls) call their new laptops.
College Freshman: I just got my new labtop, it's awesome!
Experienced Geek: Laptop.
College Freshman: Yeah, that's what I said! Labtop!