reefmonsta

How do I encrypt my thrive?

Greetings!

Looking for some information on how to encrypt my thrive tablet.  After opening up the box I ran the updates and then set a pin according to the manual.  After going through the motions and clicking encrypt tablet, I let it sit for over 5 hours with the power adapter plugged in.  When I wake up the tablet, it asks me for my pin, and after entering the pin, it just goes to green droid logo with a black back ground.  According to page 54 of the manual, "The encryption process begins and displays the progress", but the only thing I keep getting is the droid logo with the black background.  After 7 hours I just powered the unit down and restarted.  Is there a way I can confirm the tablet is encrypted?  Thanks!

Regular Contributor
hb

Re: How do I encrypt my thrive?

What do you see under Encryptions in the Settings app on the Location & security tab?

Mine says "Encrypt tablet" and it would surely say something else if already encrypted.

reefmonsta

Well in order for me to get to that screen I have to wake up the tablet by pressing the power button, inputting the pin, which then just takes me back to the green logo screen.  I cant do anything from there, so my only recourse is to power the unit down and then start it back up. 

When I turn the unit back on, i have to input my pin, and when i go to apps-settings-location and security -Encyrption,

I am back to square 1, where it give me the option to "Encrypt Tablet".  If I go through the motions again and start the encryption process, it automatically goes back to the green logo screen with the black background and I wait and wait and wait.  No progress bar as indicated in the manual.  I actually have 3 of these units and they all respond in the same way.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Occasional Contributor
mharrell556

just an fyi, if you encrypt you will HAVE to reset to factory defaults before you can run updates from service station. i have had to do that for the last 2 updates and it's a PITA

reefmonsta

Thanks mharrell for the input.

In our environment, we are testing deploying these units and for data security purposes it is a necessity that the tablets are encrypted.   And before everyone starts jumping on me saying that people could get the data if they really wanted to, yes I understand the actual threatscape.  Encrypting the tablet shows our organizations attempt at due dilligence versus not even bothering to encrypt.  Now with that said...

I contacted the toshiba support via the help number and they pretty much were no help at all.  They told me that there was no way to be able to identify if a tablet was even encyrpted and gave me some BS excuse as to why tablet was not showing the encyrption progress as stated in the manual.  When asked to escalate to another technician close to a dozen times, he redirected me back to customer service without logging the call so that he wouldnt get a negative support ticket on his record.

Customer service sent me to another level I technician who pretty much told me the same thing.  I asked to escalate the call again and was told there were no level II technicians available.  I received a case number and hours later a voicemessage about calling back for additional support.   Lets see how this one goes...

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

reefmonsta,

If you have not yet received help, please send me a Private Message with your name and phone number (and case number if you've been given one) and I'll escalate this for you.

Click here to send me a Private Message.

Jim

reefmonsta

So I finally got it to work.

Had to run PrImageUpdateApp4.apk which I got from tech support level III.  After running this, i was able to run additional updates.  From there, I still had to restore the tablet to factory settings, and then I was able to encrypt succesfully.  Hope this helps someone else and spares them the torture of dealing with toshiba's level I and level II tech support. 

Also,  big thanks to Jim for putting me in touch with the right people to help me get this resolved!

shg
shg

So, bottom line... I'm having the same "droid" problem on a brand new new thrive. 

What do I need to do to encrypt my thrive? and, once encrypted, will I be able to run updates from the service station?

THANX in advance

=shg=

dw_thrive

I have the same issue.  When I go through the motions of encrypting, all I get is the little droid with the gears.  No percentage done or anything.  I could leave it for 4 hours and when it locks and then I unlock it - just goes back to little droid with gears guy.  Tried turning airplane mode on, using a PIN instead of a password, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  I have installed all the OTA updates.  Has anyone gotten past this issue?

dw_thrive

Ok.  I have done some digging with catlog and here is the error: 

Cryptfs:  Orig filesystem overlaps crypto footer region.  Cannot encrypt in place.

Any ideas?

margar

dw_thrive,

Any luck?  I've gotten nowhere with Tech Support.  I received a call ticket #, but nothing for 3 weeks.  Jim (above) responded to a few question tha the PrImageUpdateApp4.pkg was NOT what I needed.  But has now indicated he is not in Tech Support and my best bet is the 1-800 number.  

dw_thrive

Nope...just gave up.  I think the file system has somehow expanded over an area needed by encryption.