Occasional Contributor
eddieddie84

External memory as primary

It would be very useful if Toshiba enabled use of the SD card to be used as primary storage and have the internal memory to be used for future updates. The only reason why I got the 8 GB thrive was because I assumed you can use the external memory as primary.... Other devices can do this. Why be the only company who locks this feature? Reason? I'll tell you why... To make more money! Shame on you Toshiba!  I now realize to never assume. 

Lets speak out everyone and hope Toshiba makes this change.

Occasional Contributor
eddieddie84

Re: External memory as primary

Voice you're opinion!

Occasional Advisor
bigredgonzo

I don't see how you think that they will make money off of this debacle.  Seems like folks are shying away from the Thrive.  I was in Office Depot the other day and the sales dude said that he has had several folks say that they wouldn't buy one because you can't write to external memory.  I tried to get him to let me exchange mine for the display model because it still has 3.1 on it, but he wouldn't give in.

BigRedGonzo

Occasional Contributor
eddieddie84

I need this change to be made because it's to late to return mine and I am stuck with 8 GB. What if that 8 GB of internal storage gets filled up with updates from Toshiba? They need to make this change because I feel a bit cheated and you dont even get the full 8gb of storage! most of that is taken up by the os and pre-installed apps that I dont want or use.

Occasional Contributor
eddieddie84

And by locking that feature they force you to sell your current 8gb model and upgrade to something bigger. I don't have that money anymore so I am relying on Toshiba to release an update to enable external storage as primary.

ChromeCat

Wait! So, what about the microSD cards? Don't they work as a primary storage?

The more research I do the less I want any tablet at all. The Thrive seemed the most promising.

So how does this whole memory/storage bit work anyway? 

Occasional Contributor
eddieddie84

[ Edited ]

Primary storage is the internal flash memory built into the tablet. That can't be upgraded. There is an SD card slot on the lower right side of the Thrive that you can use to expand the memory. When I first started researching tablets to purchase I found this one. I read that you can expand your memory but what I didnt know is that you cant set the SD card as primary. Meaning you cant write to the SD card\You can't download apps to the SD card to save space. The only thing the SD card is good for is storing pictures that you took from the camera or video or some apps even use that SD card to store settings. Other then that the stupid SD card is useless.

cmartinez116

Your so right I got mine for the same reasons..hopefully Toshiba will figure out that more people will buy there tablets if sdcard could be use to save downloaded apps and games etc..I'm already running out of memory on my 8gb thrive..
Occasional Contributor
eddieddie84

I agree, I shouldn't have to delete apps to create space. Most of them are apps I purchased.

SEC_SAM

Isn't it hard to imagine a company as large and knowledgeable as Toshiba would get themselves into a mess like forgetting to take care of their CUSTOMERS when they built the Thrive?  They either overlooked adding this feature or some greedy executive believes that by not making it possible to expand the memory we will go out and buy a newer and bigger Thrive.  WRONG.  What we will do is find another manufacturer that likes taking his customer's money and likes even more providing his customers with more than their money's worth.

Toshiba should be ashamed.

steve4810

Can this be true? This thread started last December and Toshiba hasn't fixed it or at least answered as to when they will? Or is this a permanent, forever situation?

I guess I could use another drink coaster for the coffee table or use it as a very expensive digital picture frame.

What are the odds Ice Cream Sandwich will cure this hideous flaw?

Occasional Contributor
bibliophile

You can write to the external SD card.  Please look around here and read the other posts that tell you how.  In short though you should...

1.  format your SD Card in exFat

2.  get an aftermarket file manager (I use File Manager from Rhythm Software - it's available on Google Play - what used to be Google Market)

3.  With some programs you need to erase your settings and start again, using the File Manager to point the program to the external SD card as a storage location.

4.  Finally, some programs just won't use the external SD card.  That's the programmers fault, not Toshiba's.  It's even worse with tablets that have TWO external SD cards - like the Superpad 2 (HypePad, FlyTouch 2 or 3, etc).  If that's true you can always save the files to the internal SD card and then use File Manager to move them to the external card.

So, yes, you CAN use the external card for more than picture storage.

What I wish is that Toshiba would do a better job of debunking this online myth.

--Michael

slpsmile

I spoke with Toshiba about this concern. The rep told me to format my sd card to exfat. This allowed me to move pictures. I have not tried to download this program yet, but when I used quick office and move to sd, neither of those programs worked even though they identified the programs that could be moved to SD. There is not an option to move in manage apps but only to uninstall.

AndrewR

Oh Great! I bought 2 of these at Best Buy where they told me I could use the USB for external memory - only now I find you can't. My kids are going to college. The hope was they use the Thrive in class and then download to the laptop for the work. I guess now that's out the window. I feel like I got a bait and switch. What is the point of having something that is not fully useful. I won't buy Toshiba again - anyone want to buy a couple of used Thrives. Any suggestions on what to buy that is actually useful for college kids?

Regular Advisor
dalepl

I am not totally following you.  Your kids will be able to transfer data to the USB device and transfer to the laptop.  They can also use an SDcard or the supplied USB cable.  Actually, even WiFi will work.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
Regular Advisor
charlesd45

[ Edited ]
Same here. I have transfer files from laptop to Thrive,Thrive to laptop and files to SD card and USB.

Also options if you have Google Chrome on home computer you can use options to syn different files to stock browser. Plus you have apks like Cubby and Drop Box for cloud storage.