PHenry

Can't set up Email on Thrive -- seems to be blocking SMPT-needed port 25

Just finished a lengthy tech support session with my ISP because I can't set up my email account with the Thrive's native email app.  (The ISP needs authentication, port 25 and use of "smpt.rapidnet.com" for outgoing address).  When setting the mail client up manually, it enters port "587;" when I proceed, it processes for about 30 seconds and then returns error message "can't access server."  When I input the ISP-required port (i.e., port 25), it *immediately* returns that error message.

Is port 25 blocked somehow on the Thrive?  If so, is there a way around this so I can retrieve my email from this account?!

monteolsen1

Re: Can't set up Email on Thrive -- seems to be blocking SMPT-needed port 25

Hi, Did you try the manual set up rather than the automatic set up? Is there a proxy involved? Also, it should be smtp and not smpt... Good luck.
mdgalles

I am having the same problem with port 25 on my outgoing server settings. I get an error message that states "Authentication methods are not supported by server" any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

Occasional Advisor
makarios

As far as I know the IP protocol for SMTP used to use port 25 but it was upgraded to port 587; so if your ISP is still using port 25 they need to use port 587 for simple mail transfer protocol, it is the new standard since 2008.  So when the tab inserts port 587 it is using the most current port in use.

Try to set up your email automatically, it should work; I have just tried it and it worked for me (I have Cox.net as my ISP).  A workaround would be to forward all your mail to your gmail address if the email setup does not work.  I know that the TT is using the correct port.  Good luck.

PHenry

I did try the manual setup ("smpt" was a victim of flying fingers!  I really did use "smpt!") to no avail.  For whatever reason, this ISP hasn't "updated" to the new port standard. 

aroede

I'm having the same problem. When I set up the outgoing mail settings for my imap mail account, it appears to accept port 25 but never connects to our mail server successfully. It wants to use port 587 only. Port 25 is still a valid port for SMTP and should work from the Thrive, and I have submitted the issue to Toshiba support. Not sure if anything will come of it but I'll post the resolution if there is one.
aroede

Well, actually I was able to make port 25 work after all, after I posted this. I changed it from 587 to 25 and then it worked this time, and I haven't dared to mess with it since. Not sure what was wrong before. Btw, unrelated but the latest update has completely fixed the power/sleep issues and I am now 100% happy! :-) Love this tablet!
ramosrfl

I have been following all these postings as I am considering a Thrive myself. An extensive tech discussion with AT&T about this yielded the following info regarding setting up the Thrive. They are requesting incoming mail port #995 and outgoing mail port #465 for server authentication. Let me know if this works for any of you folks.  

ziggytool1

[ Edited ]
I'm having the same problem have tried everything that has been suggested still will not work. Needs port 25 and when I enter 25 it bounces right back with error message tried port 465 didn't work either. Can anyone help?
ziggytool

Just got off phone with Toshiba tech support. The only e-mail that android supports is Gmail and Hotmail. Anyone know of a good third party email program that supports all the different isps? Google owns android so their going for the propriatory bs.
Regular Advisor
dalepl

This is absolutly not true.  I use the EMail app to access my ComCast Email account and I know of many others that use it for other ISP Email accounts.  From the first post, I am not sure about port 25, but I can assure you it will work with more than HotMAil and GMail.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
ziggytool1

[ Edited ]
Just passing on what the guy told me. Were they using android mail program? I would like to talk to these people maybe they can help me. I have tried everything. Can you put me in touch? Also what kind of tablet do you and your friends have I have the Toshiba thrive?
Regular Advisor
dalepl

I am using a Toshiba Thrive.  I am also using the stock email app.  Not the GMail app.  I am getting my GMail and my ComCast email on the same app.  Now for mine, it setup automatically when I entered ny ISP, but I know you can set it up manually too.  I can go into my settings and see the ports it is using for incomming and outgoing mail.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
ziggytool1

Good advice I'll give it a shot
ziggytool1

Well still can't get it to work any help would be appreciated.
CarolAnne

I don't know if this information might help but it helped me setup my centurylink email on my Thrive, after much consternation like you experienced.  When it gave me the POP email response, I deleted the "3" and it then went through the rest of the setup process.

This link was for centurylink but may illustrate some helpful hints in setting up your email (that is, if you still haven't been able to since January.) 

http://www.centurylink.net/files/centurylink/support/EmailPrograms/windows_mail.php

Fredrica

I have a similar problem....how do you forward say "ymail" or "yahoo"  to my Gmail on the Thrive?    Thanks for any help

OllieG

Just an FYI I've had numerous Android OS devices. All of them have had problems with the stock email client and connecting to my account. The Thrive tablet was no different, except it was my first Honeycomb device. Also in this case, there was no method of bypassing the connection errors from Honeycomb's default email reader. So I used a different email reader. So far the K9 reader has provided a wonderful workaround for the problem. I have used this email client for a few months now and have had no desired to go back to the default client. you can see the K-9 Mail client on the Google Play Market https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsI...
ziggytool1

Thanks for the k9 idea works fine would rather use the original program but nothing I tried worked.