zkistler

Camera not working?

I've only had my Thrive for a few days and I love it except for one thing. The camera simply does not work. I hit the Camera shortcut, the app starts, but I see nothing at all where I would expect to see the camera image. The settings work, at least I can select and change them all, but no image ever appears. 

Anyone else had this problem? Do I just have a dead camera?

secmonk

Re: Camera not working?

Same problem or if I am really lucky error message stating cannot connect to camera.

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

try to reset the tablet to factory settings...if this does not work...bring back to the reseller...

zkistler

I get the "cannot connect to camera" error message after a couple of attempts to take a picture, it also force closes on me.

By factory reset, do you mean wiping all the data completely? The "Factory Data Reset"?

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

yup, its under privacy...this could be a bug on the system or a downloaded app could cause the issue...if it still does not work, one thing to do...bring back to reseller to have it changed...just my 2cents...

zkistler

[ Edited ]

Yeah, knew where it was, I've had an HTC Evo for about a year now. The way its camera worked was my first clue to the fact that the Thrive's camera wasn't working correctly. I tried it, it didn't work, camera is still non-functional. I suspect that it's the auto-focus, it's enabled and that seems to be where it freezes up.

The only thing that irritates me about having to bring it back to exchange is that I just put a Zagg screen protector on it. As I found out the hard way, they don't like to come off and then go back on after they've been on fro a couple days. I'm willing to bet that Best Buy won't want to give me a new one, either. Oh well. If that's the worst problem I have this year, I'll be doing just fine.

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

you could just try, there is no harm in trying...I think if this is a issue with the software, try contacting the forums admin...maybe they do have some fix if its a sofware issue...

desley

Just purchased my thrive and the cameras are not working either. Hate to take it back as I just traded in an Acer to get this one. The Acer would not connect to wifi. Any other suggestions? Perhaps it needs a/driver?
redscooterdude

I'm having the same issue with my new Thrive.  The front facing camera works fine, but when I press the soft button to switch to the rear facing 5MP camera, I receive the "cannot connect to camera" error.  I performed a hard reset, where the factory settings were reinstated, with no luck.  I'm not sure if this is a firmware or hardware issue.  Toshiba, please advice.

gadgetgeek

I just purchased the 16GB version of the Thrive Tablet and am having the the symptoms listed in this forum concerning the on board camera. I called the support desk and was informed to send mine in for repairs. They send you a box for shipping if you pay $24.95, or you can box it yourself but you will be responsible if it is damaged in shipment. I love the device but as with all manmade items experience sometimes mine came with a fault straight out of the box.

Call the support desk and send your Thrive in for repairs if your camera does not work. I did the factory reset step four times without any luck. The bad part is having to send something in to get it repaired straight out of the box.

7 to 10 day turnaround, I was told.

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

if the tab is out of the box and the camera is not working...one thing to do is return the tab...

dogbert-2

I had the dead camera problem on my newly purchased Thrive and I was able to correct it in about 2 minutes.

First the standard disclaimer - This fix is very simple, but it might void your warranty and could cause permanent damage to your tablet if you're not careful.  Please don't attempt this if you're not used to working on electronics.

My problem was a loose connection where the camera ribbon cable attaches to the main board.

The camera ribbon cable runs from the camera, underneath the battery, then under an approximately 1" x 1.5" piece of black tape that's next to the battery connector.

To get access to the ribbon cable  connector, remove the back cover and the battery, then carefully remove the black tape that covers the ribbon cable connector that's next to where the battery plugs in.  Remove the black tape from the back (flat side) to the front edge.  Visually inspect to see if the ribbon cable is fully seated in the socket. 

If the ribbon cable is not seated, use a sharp thin plastic object to gently push on each side of the ribbon cable connector to seat it firmly into the socket.  There's a small piece of thin clear tape over the connector, but in my case it was already unstuck.  You may need to gently peel this tape back to get the cable seated.  I cut a 1" x 1/4 chunk out of an old credit card to use as an insertion tool.

Once the ribbon cable is fully seated, replace the clear thin tape, then the black tape, then the battery, then the cover.

Hope this helps someone out there!

Jim

PS - I swapped in my cool new blue back cover when I did this.  That was simple, except that when I went to test the camera, it mostly worked, but was very blurry.  I was soooo relieved to see the white tape from the new back cover obscuring the camera lens.  Once I took the cover off and removed the white tape over the lens, the camera worked fine.

Hatosiba

I'd like to try that with mine. If I could figure out how to remove the back. Can't find instructions anywhere for that.

Thanks.