Runae

Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich for toshiba thrive

i'm still confused between asus transformer prime and toshiba thrive. The thing that is making me confused is android 4.0 support. Asus has already rolled out the ICS update for Prime. But i still hadn't heard any official statement from toshiba about ICS for thrive.

is toshiba ready for an ICS update for thrive or should i buy the transformer prime.

Thrive got me at the Full-USB. Toshiba FTW !!! 

Regular Advisor
dalepl

Re: Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich for toshiba thrive

The Prime is a quad core device.  It is Asus' flagship now and if you look, the Asus Transformer is still awaiting ICS.  Along with everyone else.  The Prime is supposed to get ICS on the 16th.  We shall see how that goes.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org
nwgirlz

Re: Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich for Toshiba thrive

I bought a 16GB Thrive on black Friday.  I had done a lot of research before I made the decision.  I thought I wanted the ASUS but it got knocked out of the running when I realized that you had to also buy the key board docking station to even have a USB port.  The Thrive won out hand over fist when I realized that you not only had the USB Port, but also an HDMI port too. As well as removable back plate that is rubberized for easy handling. Lastly you are able to replace the battery yourself without having to get all techie.  The only thing that has been a disappointment is not being able to play all the apps I wanted I am hoping that Ice Cream Sandwich resolves that problem.  There are apps like Smurf Village that is a 2.1 android app that is not compatible with the Thrive device.  I also can't play Facebook apps very well or not at all depending on the app.  Hope this helps you decide.....

Occasional Contributor
Bollingg

I don't know anything about the transformer prime but I do know that there is very limited development and support given by Toshiba for the Thrive. 

Occasional Contributor
Tkoster

I'm not sure that "limited development and support" is accurate. People complain frequently about not getting updates not being released soon enough - first with the SOD issues, then 3.2 and now ICS.

Most of those complaints are not realistic. I don't know the size of the development crew, I'm not sure that throwing any more bodies would speed things up. More people tweaking more things can just create more bugs as too many variables are changed at once.

More importantly Jim and his crew go through some serious beta testing before they release an update to make sure that as many bugs as possible are stomped out. That takes time, particularly for intermittent bugs. The only way to get quicker releases is to live with more bugs. Personally, I just as soon see them take their time and do it right.

Occasional Builder
reverted

I don't think people are complaining about how long it takes, they're complaining about the lack of communication. It's not that hard to say yes or no we will be giving an update. That's what people are frustrated about. Almost every other tablet manufacturer has gone on record saying if their device will get an update or not. Samsung, acer, and Asus have all said whether or not their devices would get ics. The xoom has already been updated with Ics and it has more of a UI than the thrive does and is a lot older. It says a lot about a company when they can't give a yes or no answer to a question that is so important to so many people. The only reason I can think of for not giving an answer would be because they aren't going to update it and they don't want anyone to know so it doesn't hurt their sales. So until they can give a simple yes or no to a simple question no one should buy one because as far as we know it is no longer supported by Toshiba.
bobj

[ Edited ]

"I don't know anything about the transformer prime but I do know that there is very limited development and support given by Toshiba for the Thrive." 

Support does not always come from the company.   From my perspective, the Thrive has the best support forum of any tablet made, on the internet at  thriveforums.org  

The folks there are real experts, it is the most courteous and friendly forum you could ever find.  And there is always something interesting going on there.  I would not own any other tablet, just because there is no forum that can come close. :smileyhappy:

-bobj

UnicornLady

[ Edited ]

"Toshiba Thrive [UPDATED 2/22/12]: Toshiba is now telling customers it's targeting the "end of spring" to provide the Android 4.0 upgrade to its flagship 10-inch and 7-inch Thrive tablets. While the company has yet to make any formal announcement, reps have been openly discussing the plans via the official @ToshibaUSA account on Twitter."

Found this information on a page dedicated to keeping track of all the devices that will or will not receive ICS. Good news for all of us Thrive owners.

UnicornLady

[ Edited ]

Here's the url for this page if you'd like to check it out for yourself.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19341/android_40_upgrade_list

UnicornLady

You can find additional information on this page:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/19766/toshiba_thrive_ice_cream_sandwich

davey0728

Re: Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich for toshiba thrive (PAUL, PLEASE RESPOND IF YOU GET THIS)

Hey Paul, I know your post was from a while ago but i just wanted to get 1 thing stright. In your post you said "The Prime is supposed to get ICS on the 16th." but the Asus Prime comes standard with 4.0. Did you MEAN TO say the THRIVE is supposed to get ICS on the 16th?!?! Just wondering cause I'm one of the smart thrive owners that picked up this awesome tab. The only thing that could make my Thrive better is 4.0!!!! Thanks for the info/update. Also, if you meant January 16th the obviously that date has pasted so do you have any inside news about the Thrive/4.0 update?

Regular Advisor
dalepl

Re: Android 4.0 aka Ice Cream Sandwich for toshiba thrive (PAUL, PLEASE RESPOND IF YOU GET THIS)

No, I was talking about the Prime.  The initial devices released came with HC and got the ICS update after the device release.  The date I was refering to was the Jan 16th release of ICS for the Prime.  You are correct in that all get ICS out of the box now.  We should see it in the next couple of months.

Paul L. Dale
driverstef

Hi Paul, do you have some news about ics 4.0 for thrive at100 thanks   stef

Regular Advisor
dalepl

No, no more than everyone know.  We will get it, but no official release date beyond end of spring.

Paul L. Dale
kev30024

What does Toshiba consider spring?
Occasional Builder
hardhatharry

[ Edited ]

According to Official Sources at Toshiba (who wish to remain annonymous) Spring is officially recognized as that period between Winter and Summer.  :smileyhappy:

Take a deep breath, let it out slowly, repeat twice, then tell yourself:  Summer starts on June 20th, I really can wait until then, I really can.  I know I can.  I know I can.  I know I can. 

davey0728

Wow, I can't believe you replied...thank you very much for the info. Well...since you gave me such good info the 1st time i might as well hit ya with one more big 1......When will my Thrive 10.1 get the ICS update? I know it's coming "At the end of spring" but you gotta know more. Can you give me at least a time frame...something like "The Thrive well receive ICS between July 15th and August 10th" ? Come on Paul, you're the man! I know you got some details.....
dswanick

Still no word on an ETA?  My wife's Sony Tablet-S got her ICS update last week.  I'm feelin' kinda un-loved here...

davey0728

Hey Paul, I've REALLY been thinking about ROOTING my Thrive after unlocking and rooting my Galaxy Nexus to get 4.1.1 the other day but I'm really having issues finding instructions I can understand. I've rooted a few phones in my day but never a tab and I know you have a ROOT Toolkit for the Toshiba Thrive so I was just wondering if you could provide a link to your most recently updated thrive Toolkit please? Heres all my device info in case you need it and thanks for all your help and GREAT programs, I will support you for sure! Thrive 10.0- AT100- 3.2.1.- Build HTK55D.31.5.0003. I saw a few Thrive ROOT toolkits but none matched my build, please help.

Occasional Builder
reverted

Try thriveforums.org. or xda developers