dalewells

Re: android 3.2

I can say that I'm disappointed.  I had this same problem with Samsung.  The products released are pretty good, but rough around the edges.  They didn't provide timely updates.  I had hoped that Toshiba would be better.  Fortunately, I bought this for business use, and advise the business on whether the product is viable for other users.  I have shelved this product since the email has problems.  I've purchased an HTC Jetstream.  Although it doesn't have the ports I would have liked to have had, everything works.  Although I'm sure that Toshiba will do the right thing at some point, I didn't have that option when I purchased it.  I had to pay up front.  What the Android community is really looking for is a company that will provide an good product, and stand behind it with timely updates rather than focusing on the next product.  You lose your customers the same way you gain them - one at a time.

playball16

3.2 please I bought this unit because it is suppost to be one of the best!!!!! But hard to agree when u can't do anything like download movies!!!!!!!
Occasional Contributor
Zizzy

So I just read that Toshiba has announced a 7” Thrive running Android 3.2. I sure hope that means we'll be getting it on our Original Thrives soon
http://www.examiner.com/android-in-baltimore/bill-ballantyne
http://flickr.com/photos/zizzy
troydoran

[ Edited ]

This is truly disturbing. Another Toshiba tablet and us original thrivers receive not a thing. Jim if you can chime in that would be great. How are two upcoming tablets scheduled for December coming out running 3.2 and we have nothing.  I have read and heard from people Toshiba is known to do things like this. I love my thrive but it is not fair.   What were we the beta for this product. We would like to be considered valuable to Toshiba and know we will be taken care of also. I mean ICS is coming also right around the corner are we going to fall last to that also. Just a discouraged thriver at this point... Let us know what is going on. I hope when you said in past posts something special is in store these two new tablets weren't it.   Sorry again but just feeling hopeless in the original thrive family. I know many others must feel the same way.

Troy

larry24

It would be nice to get this update so we can use the full potential of this tablet, or some feedback on the progress they are making on it, an ETA would be nice also.

KurtM

I find myself more and more frustrated waiting for Toshiba to update this device. If a small update like this takes this long, I'm pretty sure I can expect no support at all for future updates. That makes me very wary of Toshiba products in general. An official statement about the level of support Toshiba intends to provide for their devices would be nice. 

Also, the ability to remove non-Toshiba branded pre-installed apps would be a welcome addition to any future updates.

In the mean time, I know that I will not be recommending android tablets in general, and Toshiba tablets specifically, to friends or family until these issues are addressed.

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

I understand and appreciate the interest but don't have anything I can add to the discussion at this time.

All I can say is to reiterate my commitment to post more info about 3.2 as soon as it is made available. 

Jim

larry24

Jim, I can understand your position on this matter, but surely Toshiba has a Public Relation (PR) person that could provide some feed back on this topic, if they are aware of it. This was my first Toshiba product and will probably be my last.  A new release or message from the company would only take a few minutes and go a long way.

Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

OK...........3.2?
troydoran

I really don't think it will happen. Im losing hope. 

epakrat75

Keep the faith. Samsung took MUCH longer to update my Galaxy S. Even if they might have got better, I still wait for what seems like an eternity between updates. I'm certainly more patient now than I was then or so I like to think.
Occasional Contributor
stephenju

My guess is 3.2 will come on or shortly after the shipping of the 7" Thrive. Other than the screen size, the new one is almost identical to existing 10.1 version.

And frankly, I don't see many things in 3.2 that are must have over 3.1. Only thing I'd like to have is the automatic scaling of older phone apps.

Occasional Advisor
jaded

I would much rather have better headphone volume and MSC support, which I am hoping will come with 3.2, than updated versions of Toshiba Start Place and App Store. Too bad I don't have a say as to priorities.
Occasional Advisor
jaded

But on the positive side the updates do show that Toshiba is actively working on new support for the Thrive as well as for their other tablets.
rgorby3123

This is some BS, the wife's Acer just got the update and we know nothing.  Give us an ETA, Acer does that, they miss it every time but at least it gives them something to look forward to.  This secrecy and feet dragging is getting very old, making me start to regret my purchase decision.  Also would like to know about market and Netflix updates.

Regular Contributor
hb

See I would rather not get a series of ETAs that get missed every time. What's the point in that?  A broken promise.

Don't get me wrong.  I want to know when 3.2 is coming or at least confirmation that it will come. Silence is not always golden. Sometimes it's just frustrating.

troydoran

Well As long as we dont get left behind that is all i worry about.  ICS is planning to launch very soon so hopefully they can find a way not to install 3.2 and just skip to ICS that would make sense to me.  But otherwise i love my thirve... 

Occasional Advisor
mcarver2000

If OS updates were as simple as getting the code from Google and then updating OTA, everyone would get an update out of the box. However, due to hardware differences and other differences between manufacturers (and carriers), kernels, drivers, etc. have be coded and tested. It's better to wait for the code to finished, tested and tested again, than releasing an update that breaks things that worked. We just have to have some patience and trust. So far, I have faith in Toshiba and that they are doing the right thing.
stg213

I'm not pissed that the Thrive may be the last to receive the update (if at all). I'm don't even mind if they skip it entirely and thus will be the first to release ICS...

What I do mind is the complete lack of communication! Something like "hey ppl don't worry we'll release 3.2 next spring because we have other priorities at the moment" or "we've decided to skip it entirely and release ICS by X-mas".

Toshiba is making a huge mistake at the moment by pushing ahead with other products that don't bring anything new over the other tablets on the market. The "slim" Thrive doesn't have absolutely anything to set it apart from the ever growing Android family aside from the Toshiba brand... which isn't particularly strong either.

They made a very smart move by releasing the Thrive as they did... yeah it's thicker but it has other features no other tablet on the market has! That IS a reason to buy it, and probably the reason most of us did. Now they are shooting themselves in the foot by sabotaging the sales of their only available product... again, not by not releasiong the update sooner but by failing to communicate and to set expectations. While we don't know what to expect from them we, and possible other customers will assume the worse and go for another brand that has shown commitment to it's own product.

What is even sader is that all our messages go on deaf ears. Jim, as Moderator hasn't got anymore clue about Toshiba's plans than we do... and his reports to his supperiors end in "hmm... how are the thrive sales going ? bad huh ? so how many ppl are complaining about the update ? 20 you say ? eah... then surely that's not the reason... we just need to make our tablet slim then everything is going to be fine... our "top consultants" (whom we pay insane amounts of money to tell us what we want to hear) assure us our future is assured as long as we have a slim tablet out there...

Occasional Contributor
Zizzy

Watched the ICS event last night. I say skip 3.2 as well. ICS is where its at.

Toshiba: Take us to ICS and you'll make a lot of customers very happy. Fix the bloatware and Kapersky issues, and we'll be ecstatic.

http://www.examiner.com/android-in-baltimore/bill-ballantyne
http://flickr.com/photos/zizzy