NW0A

Thrive is Not Supported by the Android Market

Good AFternoon:

In trying to download a paid app from the Android Market, I received a message that downloading to my account is not permitted.  I must add that I got to the Android Market from the non-removable icon that comes with the Thrive OS.  I contacted the Android Market and received this reply:

" Hi,

Thanks for writing in. According to our records, the device that you're using [Toshiba Thrive 16 Gb] is not supported for use with Android Market at this time.

The Android operating system is open source, which means that any device manufacturer is free to use Android on its devices. However, Android Market is an application created by Google that is only made available to devices that pass Google’s compatibility requirements. In addition, manufacturers must obtain a license from Google in order to install Android Market on their devices.

If I can assist you further, please let me know. Have a great one!

Regards,

Jacob
The Android Market Team"

Why did Toshiba include an icon to the Android Market if the Thrive tablet has not been accepted by Google to download their applications?  What also complicates the issue is that I have been able to download free apps from

the Android Market to my Thrive but I'm not allowed to purchase and download any paid apps.

Thanks for the help,

Joseph

Occasional Builder
DeeDawg

Re: Thrive is Not Supported by the Android Market

I can't imagine what on earth they're talking about. I have downloaded over a dozen paid and free apps from Android Market, via the app, onto my Thrive. Either you're just trolling or somebody at Google is on crack.
budney

Must have been Jacob's first day. lol If Google didn't approve the market for the Thrive, we wouldn't be holding them right now.
Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

What app is it that you can't download? Everyone I wanted has worked for me.
Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

Well, I downloaded some paid apps from the Amazon App Store (but there are a LOT more in the Market). and they don't seem to have an issue with taking my money (and the Amazon App Store sin't even pre-installed  - but like all other products on Amazon - you can get a REFUND!!)

NW0A

Hi:

In checking my email today, I received the message below indicating that the Thrive Is supported by

the Android Market.  However, when I try to download a paid app, I get the warning that "There are no

Android phones associated with this account.  Please sign in with a different account."  I will contact

the Android Market again and see if I could have the Thrive registered.

Taking the advice from a reply, I went through the Amazon Android Market and downloaded the app there.

Thanks for your help,

Joseph

============

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for writing back. As I read your response I looked up your device in a different database and saw that it is supported for use in Android market. I apologize for any confusion. Let's see what we can do about getting paid apps for you on your device. Have you set a a Google Checkout account? You can do so here: checkout.google.com

Please be sure to sign up with the same primary email associated with your device. You can verify which account is your primary account on your device by going to: Settings > Accounts & Sync If you have any trouble setting up your account and making purchases, please let me know and I will be happy to help any way I can.

Best regards,

Jacob

The Android Market Team

Occasional Builder
DeeDawg

Good to know that even if Jacob is on crack, at least Joseph isn't.
Packmate

I have had several apps lately that say "This app is not compatable with your device...". They will load fine on my phone, but not my Thrive. The 2 most recent ones are Crackle and Xfinity Mobile. (The Xfinity TV one works however.) Any ideas?
Regular Advisor
dalepl

Compatability is set by the app developer.  You could try side loading the app from your phone.

Paul L. Dale
Thrive Developer - ThriveForums.org