Occasional Contributor
rtakacs

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

Great news to report, no SOD's since that first one after the update. It's been nearly a week now.
Occasional Contributor
Elias987

Hey I just got my THRiVE Tablet and I love every inch of it. However when I hit the download button in the Service Station app to download the 3.1.01.5.0029 update I get an error message saying: Unable to download software pacakge. Please check your network connection. I tried rebooting the tablet but nothing. Please help.
Tommy18NY

Re: ”An error occurred copying the system image file” ?

I have the same error message when trying to do the update... anyone has fix or direction to this issue?  Thanks!

Occasional Advisor
makarios

Elias987 wrote:
Hey I just got my THRiVE Tablet and I love every inch of it. However when I hit the download button in the Service Station app to download the 3.1.01.5.0029 update I get an error message saying: Unable to download software pacakge. Please check your network connection. I tried rebooting the tablet but nothing. Please help.

Your connection to the internet is weak or nonexistent, check your wifi connection.

Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

I'm still getting the occasional sod. Not everyday, but if I leave it sleep for a couple hours it happens.
Occasional Contributor
Elias987

Never mind, my connection is pretty weak cz I live in Lebanon, I will try it at a friend's house I guess it should work there, the connection is much better.
gregoz

Just took delivery of a 32GB Thrive (AT105-1032).  First thing I did was do the system update.  Came back 20 minutes later, and turned unit on, checked ServcieStation and it tells me that no updates are available, so I think the device has updated itself ok.  However, I still have 3 issues:

1) Device frequently refuses to wake after sleep.  This happens fairly frequently.

2) SD Card - if the device is OFF, and I insert an SD card, and power up the unit, the SD card is recognized OK.  However, if while ON (or sleeping), I eject the SD card (via unmount or otherwise), and then try to reinsert the same (or any other SD card, unit refuses to recognize the SD card.  I've tried 3 different cards, too.  Only way to reliably get it to recognize an SD card is turn by turning the unit off, then turning it back on w/the SD card inserted. 

3) USB Thumb drive - very similar behavior; can only get it to see a thumb drive if it was inserted on boot up.  Niether the built in Toshiba File Manager, or an alternate one downloaded from Marketplace will 'see' either the SD or the USB until the device has been rebooted w/the devices inserted.

nanohead

Just unpacked my new Thrive yesterday.  Did the system updates, and it SODs EVERY SINGLE TIME it sleeps.   WTF

Brand new, from Amazon.  Freakin thing will not wake up, EVER.   I have to reboot EVERY TIME it goes to sleep

Is there a workaround, or some way to deal with this.   Otherwise, I'll return and buy something else...   ARGH

BTW, we have 6 Toshiba laptops in our family, and like the company (obviously).   I actually waited for the Thrive!   Now I'm kicking myself

Occasional Contributor
Schatzie

Install the Advanced Wifi Lock from the Android Market.  It works like a charm!  Remember just to leave the default settings.

nanohead

OK.   I've tried almost everything here in this forum discussion.  Nothing works.   Not for nuthin, but I just shelled out 500 clams on a gadget, and have now spent the better half a a day just trying to get it to work AT ALL.

Not what I was hoping for.  Bummer Toshiba..... Bummer

Occasional Contributor
Schatzie

You should not have to have such trouble.  You may have gotten a defective Thrive.  It seems luck of the draw.  I bought mine from Best Buy on July 11th and have not had really any bad issue except SOD very very infrequently and I solved that with the Advanced Wifi Lock until the latest update which has solved SOD issues 100% for me.  My Thrive works as it should and I am happy.  Maybe you should return yours and exchange it for another.  I have read here that people have done that and they are now happy.  Unfortunately quality control nowadays is not what it used to be and many defective units flood the market among the good ones.  Give it a try!   Good luck!

nanohead

Thanks Schatzie

I did yet another factory reset, turned off everything but wifi, the did the update, installed advanced wifi lock, and now it seems to be behaving itself.    I love the unit so far, but I'll give it a few days and see how it behaves.  If it keeps locking up, I will exchange it either for another Thrive, or maybe something else.

8 hours of playing around just to get it to do what its supposed to do out of the box.   Good thing I'm a hacker at heart, but what a waste of time.   Beautiful hardware for sure, and the software, when I can get it to turn on is really nice.   Time will tell......

First dud Toshiba product I've had (out of many many years and numerous lappies)

thesickmeiers2

I just downloaded my update and since then have not been able to turn on my auto rotate screen option. It has always been enabled and now since the update, turned itself off and grayed out the option to turn it on making it unavailable. Any help!
Occasional Advisor
makarios

thesickmeiers2 wrote:
I just downloaded my update and since then have not been able to turn on my auto rotate screen option. It has always been enabled and now since the update, turned itself off and grayed out the option to turn it on making it unavailable. Any help!

did you try the switch on the side by the volume rocker?

Occasional Contributor
bobisr23

I did the update and it seems to have helped although my fingers remain crossed for awhile. However I am having trouble accessing a web page because a black window pop up appears when I try to go to my Microsoft online office files. The popup claims there is a certificate problem. The black box with white text seems to take over. It offers some choices like "continue" but these do nothing. I can't cancel and web page in the background becomes disabled. I imagine that this is something I am doing wrong but I do not know what. Any help to get me headed in the right direction is appreciated. The site works fine with IE on my PC. Do androids work with Microsoft sites?
Occasional Contributor
theswimmer

Dear Jim. I have followed the instructions, updated the OS version 3.1.01.5.0029 but i still have problems to resume from sleep mode, wether screen auto time out or manually. sometimes it even restarts itself for several times until i have to switch the device off. i have no idea why and when. i have switched off auto sync for programs, set in airplane mode and worked only once. the alarm set would not work either. to be correct it only worked twice since, not that the alarm is faulty, but i think that there is a conflict somewhere which i cannot pinpoint yet. i'll be very gratefull for any assistance.

liam1964

Like most people on here, I am loving my Thrive. I had been waiting so long for it to be launched, while suffering my old iPad, wich I gave away the day Thrive was delivered. I did not have a single problem with it until I downloaded 1.5.0029 ... now I cannot wake it from sleep ever. I have to shut it down every time I want to stop using it. Does anybody know how I can step it backwards, to the update before 1.5.0029? I also suffer from a lot of sudden software crashes, the program just bombs and I am left looking at the home screen, this also never happened until this horrible update ... why is it taking soooo long for version 1.5.0030, and will it make matters worse or fix something?
Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill

Yo, the "certificate problem" and "continue or cancel" problem hasn't plagued my Thrive, but it delays my sending email on my (android) Inspire cell phone with at&t;  the ultra-strange thing about it is that at&t's server takes care of my email.  :smileysad:   I daily "work around" this continuous issue by always choosing "continue" until I get my way and the email is SENT.  So, I suggest that you never allow a failure and continue to choose "continue" till you have access to the webpage/website you want. 

nanohead

Well, its going back to Amazon, after 4 short days.   I've done every Toshiba procedure, as well as every hair brained scheme here on the boards to try and prevent the SOD, but it still will NOT wake up from sleep EEVVVERR...

I'm fairly stunned to be honest, as its the exact same hardware as most of the other tablet manufacturers, and obviously the exact same software (save for Tosh bloatware and the horrific Kaspersky).   I tried desperately to like this unit, but it is a total DUD.   The hardware is fine, but if I need to reboot every time I pick it up, what use is it.

Not only that, but the battery drains in 3 hours even when its sleeping.   I might have bad hardware, which is a total possiblity.   This is obviously a black eye for Toshiba, as we have had amazing luck with their Laptops (not to mention TVs, DVD players, HD Camcorders, etc).    Oh well.......

Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill

Your negative mention of Kaspersky reminded me that the Kaspersky free trial (which I activated as soon as I received my Thrive) is the sole problem with my Thrive.  I turn my Thrive OFF at my bedtime every night.  Every 2-3 days I find that it's been awakened during the night by a Kaspersky scan or a Kaspersky update which decreases the battery's charge when I'm expecting a full charge to start the day.  The Kaspersky 30 days free trial---which has really been a trial for me---expires tomorrow.  I intend to get either McAfee Mobile Security or Lookout to replace the painfully irritating Kaspersky.  Can Kaspersky be INactivated?  I sooooo want to totally remove every tidbit of Kaspersky from my Thrive.  I've heard/read nothing positive regarding Kaspersky;  why did reliable Toshiba choose the annoyingly subpar Kaspersky for the otherwise terrific Thrive?  My main QUESTION is:  Will a conflict ensue betwixt Kaspersky and its (Lookout or McAfee) replacement?