sharonelli

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

[ Edited ]
More post-update problems for me: the battery life, which was acceptable before, is now abominable. I just took this machine off the charger one hour ago and used it to browse this and a couple of other forums, check email & twitter, and shove a guy down flughts of stairs (Stair Dismount) for a few minutes, and then it sat on the table. The battery is down 15%! Oops, make that 21%, now that I've typed this!!! So my issues before update were: SOD - most of the time Random reboots - occasional Since updating, I have these issues: SOD - some (more than occasional, but not most of the time) Random reboots - some Terribly laggy keyboard performance Extremely poor battery life Reboot time at least doubled Jim, can you advise as to whether Toshiba is taking note of the continuing and new issues after the update? I suspect I'll end up returning mine, but I'm traveling for the next couple of weeks and I really am hoping the problems will be addressed so I don't have to.
HenryAZ

I am still able to "provoke" the SOD, post 29 update.

This is a very stock unit, and I did a hard factory reset (via the boot menu) about two weeks ago.  I have a grand total of two user apps loaded (WIfi  Timeout, and Overdrive Media Console).  I am not even using either one, only the built-in Google Maps and Browser at this time.

I have one GMail account sync'ing Contacts and Calendar, and I have location services set to use wireless networks and GPS.

I can reliably bring on SOD by simply changing the "lock screen" setting from "No security" to "never".  I am 100% SOD-less with it set to "No security", and this was the case also before the update.  IOW, the update does not seem to have changed the way I experience SOD.

With the lock screen set to "never", I get SOD about 1/3 of the time.

larcher

I purchased my Thrive on the release date.  Within a day or two I was experiencing the SOD.  When the Wifi lock workaround was discovered I used that, but still had SOD as I kept on forgetting to manually put the Thrive to sleep.  Since installing 1.5.0029 I have not had any problems with SOD or rebooting, either when charging or wired or unwired.

Battery life has been great for me since the update.  32 hrs. and only down to 54%.  Ocassional web browsing, emailing, & youtube watching.

The Thrive is awsome, and kudos to Jim and the Toshiba staff for working hard to continually working to improve our experience on the Thrive!

rgorby3123

I'm in the same boat, update fixed my SOD and battery life is awesome.

Occasional Contributor
coachcampana

Well,its safe to say now that ever since that new update I have been trouble and sod free! Pass my thanks along please Jim.
mark71

Fyi, I just experienced my 1st SOD after upgrading to the latest software. It was 3 days after upgrading. Mark
Occasional Contributor
Lisandro

I know that i can provoke the SOD if i open the amazon app store and i try to make my thrive sleep while it is in the backgroumd, but besides that, the update has been incredible. I am attaching a picture where i show that after the update, i left the thrive sleeping last night and when i woke up, 12 hours after i put my thrive to sleep,the battery went down only 8%. That means 0.67% per hour which is not the ipad's battery lofe but still it is much much more than before! I wish toshiba would sell a long life battery, since they made it interchangable, may be they will sell someday a bigger one.

Lisandro

Occasional Contributor
Marty_Hoskins

I still have SOD after the update. I have restarted more than oonce and everthing else seems to be fine.
Occasional Contributor
rtakacs

Good news to report on SOD, none today. Battery life seems to still be down. I have not turned on the advanced wifi lock again. wifi lock stopped all SOD, but I had to turn on wifi again every time I used the thrive, easier than rebooting, so well worth it.
Occasional Contributor
Marty_Hoskins

Yea, after the update my thrive is no different than before.  Wifi lock fixes my problems completely.

tekpro

I must be living right. Only had 3 or 4 SOD prior to the update. locking screen orientation fixed those. Upgraded to 29 and have experienced absolutely no issues. Battery life seems much better. EXTREMELY happy with my 32 GB Thrive.
alcee

New software update cured my SOD!  THANKS, Toshiba!!  (Love my Thrive -- had made the decision to keep it whether my intermittent SOD problem was cured or not.)

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

alcee wrote:

New software update cured my SOD!  THANKS, Toshiba!!  (Love my Thrive -- had made the decision to keep it whether my intermittent SOD problem was cured or not.)

Doesn't work for everyone, here is a link to my new unit beta testing:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/THRiVE-Tablet-Discussions/Thrive-not-waking-from-Stand-By-requires-rebo...

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Can't update system - Wi-Fi slow

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

Tempest

Hiya's, in Service Station, it indicates the Android version is 3.0.1.03.5.0004. When I select the Check for Updates button it doesn't indicate any update available. Is there a way to obtain the update and install it without Service Station?
Administrator
jim

Tempest,

That doesn't sound like an Android version that's ever been distributed to US customers.  If you purchased outside the US you'll need to contact your local Toshiba representatives for details on what versions are available.

Jim

Tempest

No, my Thrive was purchased in Australia...but surely if there is a general problem like the sleep bug and a fix was created, it would be distributed across the board.
Administrator
jim

Tempest,

I don't disagree but you'll need to check with Toshiba Australia for details.  The version releases being discussed here are available through the update process and OTA (over the air) delivery mechanism for tablets sold in the US and Latin America.

Jim

Regular Contributor
gberpa

Sorry, but SOD has returned. It is less if I allow white power light to stay on by invoking WiFi disconnect when screen goes off. But I suspect that I am depleting battery more. I can force the light to blink as it did when purchased by: Setting WiFi to stay on when scene is off, allowing screen lock to "time in", shut the unit down, restart and then set WiFi to go off after scene shuts on sleep. Jim, in spite of doing some incredible things with apps like logmein and pogoplug for file transfers from home while travelling, I am getting weary of fooling with settings, I am considering returning to my retailer. Please provide some reassurance that Toshiba will provide fixes and not require me to return the unit at my expense.
Administrator
jim

gberpa,

I can't give specific assurances beyond the terms of the warranty, but I think it's readily apparent that any vendor prefers to do OTA software updates rather than much more expensive warranty repairs, and will take that approach whenever possible. 

Jim