Occasional Advisor
makarios

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

jaded wrote:
I'll add my thanks for the update... having been in software support for a while I know first hand the pressure thats on people working on a hi priority problem like this. I have to add that I was just on a plane trying to watch some video. The videos worked fine but the volume was just no where near adequate for my old ears. My wife's IPad2 playing the same movie had significantly more volume. I had treble all the way up etc. If this can be upped somehow in a later system update that would be a big plus for me.

There is a thread open about this issue; it was resolved by tweaking the settings, do a search you'll find it.  Good luck.

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

[ Edited ]

LaptopNube wrote:
Okay, live wallpaper is good to go (manual and auto sleep, wifi off and on).  Switched back to my picture settings (its SO much better than the stock provided).

Now, to check out EXACTLY how I would want the GPS service running, don't think I want it looking for other networks, and to test with the Maps app (always the bug that kills :robotsurprised:)

Played with Maps app, my profile on Google is all sorts of messed up - will need to fix that on the PC.  Sleep issues okay with background services for Maps app.  Not very accurate.  Agreed to something that had the locationFriend service running.

Used "Use Networks", not GPS yet.  Stopping the app wasn't QUITE as easy as setting it up.  Had to clear data (it said it cleared cache, but did not), and app finally went off (you will need your wifi off, then turn Use Networks off, to accomplish all this).

So far, behaving very well, updated with SD card in Tab.  NOW - can we get rid of Kaspersky, which I will never buy?  You can keep your own apps on there (haven't tried Start Place, may need to set that up again), but these third party - can we remove them?  We even put up with Toshiba Media Player being the default (but if you download Es File Manager - it give you options, heehee).  But there SHOULD be a tradeoff, just as I uninstalled some bloatware on this Toshiba Laptop (and oine of them, Ulead DVD Maker - ACTUALLY caused my DVD drive to disappear).

Give us a break here.  You can keep your books, your defaults, etc - but things from third parties just tneed to go - without having to root the device - because then - purchasing additional warranty is just not worth it (think about that for a second).

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

[ Edited ]

OOps, bad news.

After playing with those previously unused apps - it wouldn't wake out of sleep mode.

Repeated the behavior when Maps Apss was used before.

I shut down and started up, will see if the wake up issue rears its head again.

Sorry guys, its not cake yet.

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

Jim, your post went bye bye while I was typing the response - Did I do a Hard Shut Down after update?

Response:

jim wrote:

LaptopNube,

Had you done a full shut down of the tablet (holding down the power button until the tablet vibrates and shuts off) after completing the update and prior to this wake event?  

Jim

Yes I did, I noted that in an earlier post ITT.  I noticed boot up time seriously improved, along with performance.

Maps is not meant to be shut down once started I guess, but apparently if you never start it, it works fine.  I don't know if its the app itself or Use Networks in the location settings (though even when I shut that off, one location service continue to run even when rebooted.  That was the service I force closed).

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

Administrator
jim

[ Edited ]

LaptopNube,

That's not what I wanted to hear.  But since you already stated that you did a complete shut down of your THRiVE after completing the 1.5.0029 installation, there's got to be something else going on with your tablet that isn't addressed by this update.  (Assuming you've confirmed that the update has installed.)

In other words, if you're still having a wake from sleep symptom after completing the .0029 update then it's not being caused by the issues that this update fixed and should be addressed through normal support channels. I suspect it's going to need to be repaired but tech support will figure out whether or not that's correct. 

So if you've confirmed that your tablet is running 1.5.0029 and have done a complete shut down prior to this last problem happening, I recommend that you call THRiVE support at 877-786-2848 and work with them to sort it out.

Jim

Update: changed phone number

Administrator
jim

LaptopNube,

Yes, I deleted that reply with the 'shut down' reference about a minute after I posted it, after seeing that you had already stated that you did it.

See my other reply for recommended next steps...

Jim

Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

There are reports in the Thrive Forums of SOD continuing.  Its not defective, its the app (Locations settings).

It works like every other tablet.  After fixing the issues, it has returned to normal.

I RECREATED the SOD, I didn't have it because of my fix, unless an app caused it.

that's how I narrowed this down.  That is a honeycomb app, and others are experiencing it too.

I thought you were looking for informative content.

Drop on over to the thiveforums.org - general discussion, sticky on update:

http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/toshiba-thrive-general-discussions/1754-sod-update-service-station...

I saw what was addressed in the fixes - and I posted OVER AND OVER how I had weeks of no problems (unless a particular app caused it).  I was hoping you wanted constructive criticism.

The problem I had narrowed down for the SOD, is still there if you try to turn the app off.  Plain and simple.  Nothing else is causing it.  Turning  Use Networks OFF must owrk.  It will continue to use networks even if no apps are running, AND can keep wifi on at low level even if turned off.  So I don't know which it is, Use Networks or Maps App - but there you go.

I'm just trying to help.  Other things that used to cause SOD don't - so its OBVIOUSLY not the tablet.

Occasional Contributor
whitewolf359

I completed my software upgrade about 5 hours ago and let the thrive sitting unplugged for several hours after that and one small click of the power button and it woke right up! I have used the Google map and latitude before and after the update and have no issues with it. My wife and I both own Sprint Evo`s and we use latitude on a daily basis to keep watch on each other. Will be fun now if I leave the tab home and running and its going to confuse latitude with me being in two places at once. Definately loving my thrive now!!!
Occasional Advisor
LaptopNube

whitewolf359 wrote:
I completed my software upgrade about 5 hours ago and let the thrive sitting unplugged for several hours after that and one small click of the power button and it woke right up! I have used the Google map and latitude before and after the update and have no issues with it. My wife and I both own Sprint Evo`s and we use latitude on a daily basis to keep watch on each other. Will be fun now if I leave the tab home and running and its going to confuse latitude with me being in two places at once. Definately loving my thrive now!!!

But do you turn the services off?  What do you have set in Location Settings?

THeRIVEr

[ Edited ]

wcahill wrote:
I appreciate the fast response to this issue even though I have not been greatly affected by turning off wifi and manually putting the Thrive to sleep after each use. Hopefully those steps will no longer be needed although I think I may have developed that habit by now. Is there a way too provide a way to uninstall Kipersky, which continuously runs even without purchase, or QuickOffice that is duplicated after buying full version? I understand that Toshiba probably has agreements with these and other companies but it would be nice if Toshiba could provide a way to uninstall these and other preinstalled apps that tablet owners don't want, possibly 90 days after purchase registration date, without having to hack the tablet software. Such an option would I am sure be welcomed by all and avoid many folks messing with the installed OS. Thanks again for the prompt update and for keeping everyone advised.

I echo the question concerning the bundled software removal. I really wanted a THRiVE but also used the $100 Staples coupon to get the Samsung Product. Reasons being that:

1. Staples in this area haven't started receiving the THRiVE yet 

2. Bundled Software

I still want the THRiVe but not with the included baggage. Fix the bundle and I'll probably still get one. 

Occasional Contributor
whitewolf359

Laptopnube, I have all location services turned on. I have had them both on and off and see no problems so far. What issues are you seeing now?
Occasional Contributor
TheMrGordo

Jim,

You can add me as a plus one to the SOD and rebooting issue still occurung after the last update. Now when my tablet sleeps it reboots on its own. Yes I did a manual restart after applying the update.

Occasional Contributor
whitewolf359

The bundled software do sent bother me too much, there is enough room on the device for what I need. Perhaps down the road I can root the thrive and get rid of the extra software but its not a big concern for me.
Oneidachief

”An error occurred copying the system image file” ?

My thrive hasn't had any of the the sleep issues but I'd like the update for some of the other fixes and to stay current for future updates but I've consistently gotten an error message when trying to install ”An error occurred copying the system image file.” Any ideas?
Occasional Contributor
Tkoster

Thanks for the update, but I'm afraid that it didn't do the trick for my Thrive either. It hasn't done the spontaneous reboot (holding my breath), but the SOD is just as frustrating as ever. I thought perhaps the advanced wifi lock program was conflicting with the patch so I uninstalled it and rebooted again. However, the problem still continues. At this point I'm more wondering if the patch fixed the problem for anyone who had a consistent problem with it previously.

Tim

Occasional Contributor
bobisr23

I got a notice about an update to improve the sleep mode issues and some enhancements to video display. I followed the steps and watched it complete and do a reboot. It did all that and then I had to go out for a while. When I returned I had a real hard time getting it to come out of sleep mode. I will monitor things for awhile but I wanted to update you. Are any others having problems with the update? Also is there a way I can check to see if the tablet did get updated?
Regular Contributor
gberpa

I did the update about an you ago. My battery was only about 20% and I got a message to plug in the power supply first. The install was confirmed. So far, no SOD. But, I did get one spontaneous reboot. So, as far as I can see, this fix doesn't solve all the power down/up issues for me.
Occasional Contributor
Lisandro

[ Edited ]

hi,

mine works great! I had the prolem of SOD and so far so good. Also, it works faster and I was wondering if this fix makes the battery to run longer because I think that the slope in the battery graph when asleep is smaller. Could it be jim?That something that was running is not running anymore with this fix?

One other thing. I changed the settings and added the sound boost and everything as indicated but the soud is still no so loud. The speakers I understand if they do not support more volume but using the headphones the sound is really low in the videos (not youtube). It is the same in my girlfriend's thrive, her brother's thrive and her sister's thrive (we love toshiba dont we?).

Thanks anyway, now I love my Thrive even more!

Lisandro

Regular Contributor
gberpa

SOD still occurs with the update. C'Mon, guys!