Reply
Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill
Posts: 24

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

[ Edited ]

I sought assistance from Kaspersky regarding its persistent security app on my Thrive;  here is the reply:

 

 

Hello,

 The Kaspersky Tablet Security application that is preinstalled on your Toshiba Thrive cannot be removed.  The manufacture of your device has prohibit the ability to remove the preinstalled applications including the Kaspersky Tablet Security application.  If you have any questions about your device, please contact manufacturer at http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Thank you,

<name removed> | Home and Small Office Technical Support Engineer | Kaspersky Lab Americas

 

 

So now, I wonder what Toshiba will say about this . . . if anything.

 

I had wanted to recommend the Thrive to my colleagues at the college for which I teach;  however they'd never purchase a device that forces users to retain a particular security app.  :smileysad:

 

Have ya'll read the Permissions for the Kaspersky Tablet Security?  I was shocked to see such items as:

can modify calendar

can read and write contact data

can manage the accounts list

can discover known accounts

etcetera

 

So, I am thinking Toshiba may have made a good financial deal with Kaspersky (and the other apps that we cannot remove) at the privacy expense of Thrive purchasers.

 

Particularly if I'm not going to use an app, I don't want it watching my personal data for its developers or for the device manufacturer (and no tellin' for whoever else's monetary profit).

 

 

[ admin edit to remove name of Kaspersky agent from copied email ]

Occasional Contributor
LTThrives
Posts: 37

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

Couple thoughts on your points. Bear in mind permission descriptions encapsulate many topics and just because they are labelled one way does not mean that they are abused. Kaspersky is a trusted security vendor, I don't think it was installed to spy on anyone' if there is a desire to spy on anyone it would be embedded in the OS. Ironically Google itself spies on evyryone for their profit with targetted advertising. If you never run the kaspersky app, it doesn't run, you have to accept the agreement when the app is ran in order for it to run.
Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill
Posts: 24

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


LTThrives wrote:
Couple thoughts on your points. Bear in mind permission descriptions encapsulate many topics and just because they are labelled one way does not mean that they are abused. Kaspersky is a trusted security vendor, I don't think it was installed to spy on anyone' if there is a desire to spy on anyone it would be embedded in the OS. Ironically Google itself spies on evyryone for their profit with targetted advertising. If you never run the kaspersky app, it doesn't run, you have to accept the agreement when the app is ran in order for it to run.


You are correct, LTThrives.  I suppose I'm naive.  :smileysad:   But I highly resent meself for ever running the K app. 

 

I've never had the desire to root a device, but this may be the thing that motivates me along that route . . .

Occasional Contributor
LTThrives
Posts: 37

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

[ Edited ]

jim wrote:

I'd like to know if the new 1.5.0032 update resolves the issues that you, LTThrives, and theswimmer have reported.

 

Jim

 


SoS

So far so good with the new release re: waking from sleep, which is great, kudos to all involved.  Battery life may be ok, not sure if the update affected it or not, but research has found that expected life is ~ 6.25 hours, my thrive may well be on course.  Would like more :smileytongue: but happy to take 6 hours, one of the reasons I bought the thrive was for the replaceable batteries. 

 

Extremely impressed with the attention to issues and the help I've recieved, will be recommending the thrive to all my android wielding friends and relatives.

 

I sill report back if this changes or somethings arises.  Offer still stands for beta testing.  Thanks!

Occasional Contributor
LTThrives
Posts: 37

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

[ Edited ]

OlderThriver wrote:

I am older so I am not that knowledgeable on new technology and I just got my first Tablet, the Thrive. I have not had any problems with downloading the new update (did it last night after I found it on the service station link). However, I am returning to college and have bought three eBooks. Has anyone had a good app that will read eBooks from CourseSmart? I drive 2 1/2 hours a day back and forth to school so I would love to use that time wisely. Also does anyone know if I need a virus protection for this tablet? I have checked with several people and had conflicting information. Thanks and look forward to reading your post.

 

 


LLooks

Looks like the CourseSmart site has an android app that should work on the tablet, check out www.coursesmart.com/go/mobile, click on the Coursesmart for android devices.

 

RE: virus protection, the Thrive comes with Kaspersky installed, I believe it to be a trial, it will not run or protect your system until you run it and accept the agreement I think.  I've not done this so I am not certain, I do know that it's not running on my system even though not installed.  I am a fan of Symantec products, many will argue against them, they get a bad rap for killing system performance, and at one point it was justified, but they've reworked their apps and it's no longer an issue, at least not on any of the systems I've put it on, including my Thrive and my Android phone. 

 

Anyway, they have an app for android devices on the app market that protects against malware named Norton Mobile Security LITE (go to appmarket and search on symantec), I'd recommend installing it as well.  Lot's of negative reviews on it currently due to cost, I'm not sure if it's trial software or if it will continue to work.  Personally, I don't blink an eye at $30 to license it, compared to the alternative of identity theft or worse, it's fairly cheap.  My opinion.  The installed Kaspersky app may be just as suitable, as I mentioned, I prefer Symantec.

 

Hope this helps. 

 

LT

Occasional Contributor
LTThrives
Posts: 37

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


hummingbirdhill wrote:

LTThrives wrote:
Couple thoughts on your points. Bear in mind permission descriptions encapsulate many topics and just because they are labelled one way does not mean that they are abused. Kaspersky is a trusted security vendor, I don't think it was installed to spy on anyone' if there is a desire to spy on anyone it would be embedded in the OS. Ironically Google itself spies on evyryone for their profit with targetted advertising. If you never run the kaspersky app, it doesn't run, you have to accept the agreement when the app is ran in order for it to run.


You are correct, LTThrives.  I suppose I'm naive.  :smileysad:   But I highly resent meself for ever running the K app. 

 

I've never had the desire to root a device, but this may be the thing that motivates me along that route . . .


Apologies, not my intent to put you down or make you feel naive, I've had the same thoughts many times with apps, and in fact still don't install some because of it.  Discovering myself that android device security is a bit different, sharing my observations.

 

It may be possible for you to get it back to the point of not having Kaspersky run, but let me clarify this is a guess at best and not a guarantee.  I would backup any info that you want off of the tablet, any apps that you have, data, etc., then go into settings, privacy, and do a factory data reset.  Doing so may well do as it suggests, resetting to factory settings.  The unknown is if that pertains to data only, or apps such as Kaspersky as well.  Maybe someone else could verify that.  At any rate, if it does work, you're good to go with no regrets... :smileyhappy:

 

Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill
Posts: 24

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


 hummingbirdhill wrote:


You are correct, LTThrives.  I suppose I'm naive.  :smileysad:   But I highly resent meself for ever running the K app. 

 

I've never had the desire to root a device, but this may be the thing that motivates me along that route . . .


Apologies, not my intent to put you down or make you feel naive, I've had the same thoughts many times with apps, and in fact still don't install some because of it.  Discovering myself that android device security is a bit different, sharing my observations.

 

It may be possible for you to get it back to the point of not having Kaspersky run, but let me clarify this is a guess at best and not a guarantee.  I would backup any info that you want off of the tablet, any apps that you have, data, etc., then go into settings, privacy, and do a factory data reset.  Doing so may well do as it suggests, resetting to factory settings.  The unknown is if that pertains to data only, or apps such as Kaspersky as well.  Maybe someone else could verify that.  At any rate, if it does work, you're good to go with no regrets... :smileyhappy:

 


Well, duh, yes, a factory reset might work;  I hope Toshiba can give me that info when I contact a Tosh rep tomorrow.  I really don't have time or inclination to learn to root at this point, and the reset is much less painful (for me) than the rooting.

 

I was about to ask you, after what you posted to OlderThriver, is it safe for me to install Lookout or McAfeeMobileSecurity while Kaspersky app is still on my Thrive?  I'm concerned about incompatibility betwixt two security apps because of how puters are with more than one antivirus software, and also because the Kaspersky site has a warning posted about installing several (maybe 20) specific security apps other than Kaspersky products.  McAfee is included in the warning and I think Norton is too.

 

 

 


 

Occasional Contributor
LTThrives
Posts: 37

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


hummingbirdhill wrote:
Well, duh, yes, a factory reset might work;  I hope Toshiba can give me that info when I contact a Tosh rep tomorrow.  I really don't have time or inclination to learn to root at this point, and the reset is much less painful (for me) than the rooting.

 I was about to ask you, after what you posted to OlderThriver, is it safe for me to install Lookout or McAfeeMobileSecurity while Kaspersky app is still on my Thrive?  I'm concerned about incompatibility betwixt two security apps because of how puters are with more than one antivirus software, and also because the Kaspersky site has a warning posted about installing several (maybe 20) specific security apps other than Kaspersky products.  McAfee is included in the warning and I think Norton is too.

 

 


 

I can't speak to Lookout or Mcafee, I'm running Norton Mobile Security Lite on my Thrive currently and there does not appear to be issues, however, Kaspersky is _not_ running on my tablet, so kind of a different situation, if a factory reset is successfuly, guessing you should be able to install whatever you want.  Probably not a good idea to install anything else if Kaspersky is running, especially if they mention it on their site.  I don't see an issue if Kaspersky isn't running, shouldn't be any interference, but that's me.  Positive thing is, I can uninstall Norton if it acts up :smileywink:

 

Don't blame you on not wanting to root, not sure there are many stable roms out there yet for this device, aside from limited bloatware (as compared to a Verizon Android device) the default OS is pretty decent in my opinion.

 

 

 

Occasional Contributor
theswimmer
Posts: 20

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

Dear Jim. I am unable to update the software version yet. Tab seems to freeze after I press the confirmation button for restart. I have waited up to 20 minutes before I reset the tab. In the mean time I have noticed that the problem is in the actual power switch, even in my previous posts I mentioned that it is not a hardware issue. The reason is that I have made some tests with timings and I could not find any connection with these resume from sleep problems. I also noted that if I press the power button in a particular manner, the tab obeys immediately. Its been OK for these last Rush (gentle note- I am not a software literate but I am a qualified electrical trouble shooter, and with my past experience in the electrical field, I can consider myself as an expert). I would be grateful if you can contact me with some hardware technical team as it is very expensive for me to return my tab back. I am from Malta Europe, and I got mine from B&H, USA. Will try to update again and keep you posted.

Another note with regards to Kaspersky. If one takes note of the file size, you will realize that Kaspersky is only a link and not the actual program. The program itself is larger than 1MB, whilst that on the tab is only 0.196MB as the application, and 0.172 in data, summing up to 0.368MB- concluding to be only an undeletable link!! So in my humble opinion, one can use any security without any conflicts. Regards and thanks for the support.

Member
OlderThriver
Posts: 2

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

Thank you so very much.

I really like Nortons 360 on my computer, but didn't know they had it for the tablet. In fact when I bought it the lady told me that tablets were like phones and didn't need virus protection. That was why I was so confused when I saw it one my tablet. And I will check the Course Smart for android website. Thanks again!

Member
buzzthehamster
Posts: 1

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

I've had the Thrive since day one, and I have been frustrated by the sleep issues on the unit.  So far, after the first day, the .0032 update seems to have taken care of it.  It has not failed once to resume from sleep, has not rebooted, and appears to be holding the battery much better while sleeping!

Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill
Posts: 24

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


theswimmer wrote:

Another note with regards to Kaspersky. If one takes note of the file size, you will realize that Kaspersky is only a link and not the actual program. The program itself is larger than 1MB, whilst that on the tab is only 0.196MB as the application, and 0.172 in data, summing up to 0.368MB- concluding to be only an undeletable link!! So in my humble opinion, one can use any security without any conflicts. Regards and thanks for the support.


Thank you sooooo kindly for calling this to my attention;  I feel soooo better about this.  Now, if I could just get rid of this pink-texted notification that Kaspersky is running in limited mode every time I touch the notifications area to check battery life or wifi connection, I would be a very happy camper despite the continuing Kaspersky presence on my Thrive.  At least K didn't turn on my Thrive during the night.  :smileyhappy:

Member
colinwor
Posts: 1

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

[ Edited ]

jim wrote:

Tempest,

 

I don't disagree but you'll need to check with Toshiba Australia for details.  The version releases being discussed here are available through the update process and OTA (over the air) delivery mechanism for tablets sold in the US and Latin America.

 

Jim

 



Jim, thanks for the info, however those of us that have tried, have had more luck talking to a brick wall.

 

Occasional Contributor
theswimmer
Posts: 20

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

Dear Jim, I managed to update the os to version 1.5.0032 and I haven't had any other issues. Its been working fine for a whole week now. Thanks for the support.

Occasional Builder
nickbass
Posts: 76

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

I found an interesting aspect to that kaspersky and all my Widgets became "tethered", to which when I disabled an option on kaspersky to try and get rid of the notifications, none of my Widgets would work. More detail in the "kaspersky itself is malware" thread.
Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill
Posts: 24

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available

Thanks for pointing me to the Kaspersky is malware thread!  Wow, I've always respected Toshiba, and I can't believe this company would stick Kaspersky trash on such an otherwise professional device . . .

Occasional Advisor
makarios
Posts: 138

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


hummingbirdhill wrote:

Thanks for pointing me to the Kaspersky is malware thread!  Wow, I've always respected Toshiba, and I can't believe this company would stick Kaspersky trash on such an otherwise professional device . . .


Kaspersky is not malware, whoever said that, is wrong.  It is an antivirus program and you have to activate it for it to run; it is not running until activated and it does not cause any problems; do you really think Toshiba would ship their products with malware installed?  I don't think so.

Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill
Posts: 24

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


makarios wrote:

hummingbirdhill wrote:

Thanks for pointing me to the Kaspersky is malware thread!  Wow, I've always respected Toshiba, and I can't believe this company would stick Kaspersky trash on such an otherwise professional device . . .


Kaspersky is not malware, whoever said that, is wrong.  It is an antivirus program and you have to activate it for it to run; it is not running until activated and it does not cause any problems; do you really think Toshiba would ship their products with malware installed?  I don't think so.


No, Markarios, I don't think so.  I understand that Kaspersky is a security firm for digitalia.  The app, during the free trial, did cause problems.

 

The  nuisance that Kaspersky makes of itself on a Thrive, both during and after its 30-day free trial, is absolutely intolerable and therefore, I don't respect Toshiba (who probably, understandably, contracted for profit by including this no-way-to-rid-a-device-of piece of software) for including Kaspersky as a permanent fixture on my device.

 

As a professional, I am accustomed to being in charge of my digital devices---which I use to save time and energy.  I am not accustomed to being forced to deal daily with an app that I don't want or need on any device.

 

I chose to run the 30-day free trial;  I did not know, when I activated it, that it would remain in my Thrive's task tray for the life of the Thrive.  For my purposes (and apparently for many other Thrive users' purposes), the Kaspersky app permanently affixed to the Thrive, with its PINK statement ALWAYS in the tasktray (as well as a daily reminder to renew), is intolerable

 

A troublesome 30-day trial should NOT transition into a forever tribulation . . .

Occasional Contributor
hummingbirdhill
Posts: 24

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


hummingbirdhill wrote:

makarios wrote:

hummingbirdhill wrote:

Thanks for pointing me to the Kaspersky is malware thread!  Wow, I've always respected Toshiba, and I can't believe this company would stick Kaspersky trash on such an otherwise professional device . . .


Kaspersky is not malware, whoever said that, is wrong.  It is an antivirus program and you have to activate it for it to run; it is not running until activated and it does not cause any problems; do you really think Toshiba would ship their products with malware installed?  I don't think so.


No, Markarios, I don't think so.  I understand that Kaspersky is a security firm for digitalia.  The app, during the free trial, did cause problems.

 

 

Please excuse me for mispelling your name.

 

Occasional Advisor
makarios
Posts: 138

Re: THRiVE system software version 1.5.0029 now available


hummingbirdhill wrote:

hummingbirdhill wrote:

makarios wrote:

hummingbirdhill wrote:

Thanks for pointing me to the Kaspersky is malware thread!  Wow, I've always respected Toshiba, and I can't believe this company would stick Kaspersky trash on such an otherwise professional device . . .


Kaspersky is not malware, whoever said that, is wrong.  It is an antivirus program and you have to activate it for it to run; it is not running until activated and it does not cause any problems; do you really think Toshiba would ship their products with malware installed?  I don't think so.


No, Markarios, I don't think so.  I understand that Kaspersky is a security firm for digitalia.  The app, during the free trial, did cause problems.

 

 

Please excuse me for mispelling your name.

 


Thanks.  I apologize I made the assumption that you never ran it; I still think that it is not malware though; what kind of problems did you experience when you ran the trial?  I'm just curious because I never ran the program; the main issue for me is that I cannot uninstall it, so in that sense it is bloatware.