irma

toshiba l675 satellite wont start up

once turned on the screen shows the toshiba logo and then goes to" launch start up repair "or "start windows normally "i have selected  start repair and then the screen goes blue with just the cursor on the screen, is this normal? is it actually doing something at this point? any advise would be greatly appreciated 

Regular Advisor
bmurray

Re: toshiba l675 satellite wont start up

if you have tried both options and neither one gets you anywhere, then your operating system is likely corrupt and you will need to do a reinstall of your OS.  This will wipe out everything on your hard drive so just to let you know.  You have the ability to return your computer to the out-of-box state by doing an emergency system reinstall from a hidden partition on your hard drive.  take a look at your manual as to how to do this.  you can also do an emergency reinstall with recovery disks if you had created them ahead of time.  if you can't reinstall from the hidden partition and don't have the recovery disks, you can contact toshiba and buy them.

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
SatelliteOrbit

Hi:

My Satellite A75S229 went down this morning .....  it was updated the other day with the latest Microsoft updates.  It is running WinXP SP3 Home edition.

I was online via dialup and it was very very sluggish this morning, and would hang.... and it got so bad I decided to reboot....  and that's when I found I could not even get back in to the system....  When it is turned on and F8 is held down I get the Toshiba logo and the BIOS program, but if I don't right away hit F8 again or F12, it goes to a dull blue screen of death....  if I manage to get to F12, it does not load in safe mode at all.... 

I managed to get Linux Knoppix onto a bootable cd, and used that to boot up and work around to get some of my files frm my C Drive copied onto an external Iomega hard drive.  So all is not completely lost..... but I have many programs that will be if I have eto do a clean install....

Unfortunately I do not have any system recovery discs other than the Toshiba Recovery and Applications/Drivers DVD that came with the laptop when new (in fact I had not even broken the seal on the case until today).  Problem is, I loaded and booted off that cd but it only gave me a complete reinstall option -- even though the directions say individual applications, utilities and drivers can be selectively installed.  There are NO onscreen instructions to do that....  so I am now lost.....  unless I do a complete reinstall, and then I will have to go through allt he updates to get back to SP3...... 

Is there some place where I can get the instructions on how to selectively fix the system files I need and not do a complete reinstall?   I suspect that the System32 files have been corrupted and wish there was some easy way to replace them and see if this fixes the problem.... 

If there is some way to replace them using the Knoppix bootable cd, that would be great....   I have to say it was pleasant using the Knoppix to see that my system wasn't dead, just having some software conflict on starting.... 

Thanks,

K

SatelliteOrbit

Re: toshiba satellite A75S229wont start up

Actually here is some more detail....

When it boots off the Toshiba Recovery cd that came with the laptop, it initially says "Starting Windows 98" and then the next screen says:

Welcome to the Toshiba Recovery Utility

This process will restore the original default system installed on your hard drive.

Note that the current contents of your hard drive will be erased and replaced by the default system install. You should back up your system before continuing.

By selecting OK, you are acceting the terms of the Microsoft end-user license agreement that appears in the WINDOWS License Agreement Setup Screen

F1- OK, F2 - Cancel

As I would prefer to do the selective re-install, at this poinit I hit cancel......... 

K

Regular Advisor
bmurray

Re: toshiba satellite A75S229wont start up

If the reason that you want to do a repair and not reinstall is because there is data on your drive that you still want, do a search on this forum for recovering data from a working hard drive. 

Consider your self fortunate that your computer came with recovery disks and you didn't have to use the utility to make your own.  Because you do not have the actual Operating system cds, you can't repair via windows as usual.  You will have to do a system reinstall which will wipe out the data on your drive, unless your data is on a seperate partition.  You can use the hidden partition on the hd or use your cds, but in either case it is going to wipe out your drive first.

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A75-S229

it goes to a dull blue screen of death....  

What is the ***STOP error on the blue screen?

-Jerry